R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Handling

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
R56 Handling

I must say I was really disappointed with the handling when I first picked up my 2010 MCS. I swapped the tires for low profile non run-flats and bigger rims. The car stuck better but was bouncy and the under-steering was a pain.
Last week I purchased and installed an Alta 22mm rear sway bar.
I can not say enough positive about how it has transformed the drivability. This is a different car now. What where BMW thinking with the stock sway bar. Such a simple change for a DRAMATIC TRANSFORMATION.
If you have not done this upgrade I would highly recommend it. Takes 3 hours and you can do it yourself.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I hear people complain about the stock gen2 handling, and I just don't get it......because I know for me at least....I am literally being thrown out if my seat long before I'm beginning to push the limits of my car....

Old 08-21-2013, 03:52 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Drove standard cars and mainly front wheel drive all my life. Did my first hand brake turn when I was 16 on my Dad's Morris 1100. Love to drift and driving fast on a mountain road....but my standard MCS was a bit of a dog to drive considering what it is capable of...
You should try the upgrade it is really a noticeable improvement.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Aikmanson
2nd Gear
OP, did your car come with sport suspension stock?

My car has the stock sports suspension and I think it handles great in stock form. If I remember right, it comes with stiffer struts and shocks and a stiffer front and rear ASB.

However, i do plan on adding coilovers and f/r ASB's in the future however.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Aikmanson
OP, did your car come with sport suspension stock?

My car has the stock sports suspension and I think it handles great in stock form. If I remember right, it comes with stiffer struts and shocks and a stiffer front and rear ASB.

However, i do plan on adding coilovers and f/r ASB's in the future however.
Stiffer front too? Ew. Different cars and their layout/geometry call for different types of upgrades and adjustments. I'll say right now I don't see the MINI ever benefittng(maybe quite the opposite), from a stiffer front sway bar. That would cause the exact opposite effect from what I'd want to do with a FWD car of this nature.

To each their own though. If I were to go over my whole suspesion in this car, the front sway bar would be left alone completely no matter what my budget was, because I see it adversely affecting the understeer/push which is something a FWD car is plagued with and I don't want to help along at all, I want it gone lol.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Aikmanson
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT

Stiffer front too? Ew. Different cars and their layout/geometry call for different types of upgrades and adjustments. I'll say right now I don't see the MINI ever benefittng(maybe quite the opposite), from a stiffer front sway bar. That would cause the exact opposite effect from what I'd want to do with a FWD car of this nature.

To each their own though. If I were to go over my whole suspesion in this car, the front sway bar would be left alone completely no matter what my budget was, because I see it adversely affecting the understeer/push which is something a FWD car is plagued with and I don't want to help along at all, I want it gone lol.
Yeah, your right. A stiffer front is not necessary but an adjustable one could show some benefits. On these cars rear is the most important and something like a solid 22mm is what I am after.

And I wouldn't say you would want the front away gone lol that would probably result in more negatives than the increase in oversteer provides.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
I didn't say gone, I said not upgraded The stock one is doing it's job just fine, and the rear one isn't doing nearly enough. Upgraded rear sway and links, leave the front with better links, done. That's what I would/will do anyway. It's just on a FWD car, upgrading the front sway bar can add that understeer back in that we upgrade the rear bar to eliminate.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
In Canada the MCS came with the sport suspension....I was told. I always thought there was something wrong with the way it handled. Unpredictable.
Great now as I said...like a race car!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:16 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Front Sway Bar sizes:

Cooper: 21.5
S: 22.5
JCW: 23.5

It gets stiffer, but not by much. It's not like upgrading the front to a totally new sway bar like Eibach's front swaybar kit, but 2mm is hard to even define as being much stiffer and worthy of "ewww"

The fact OP went to low profile tires and bigger rims (never said what size), of course your handling is not going to be up to par to what you want. Low profile on stock suspension whether it's just the S or the Sport suspension is definitely going to add a ton more bounce to your ride.

Whenever I have to go from my friend's Megans coilovers which are hard as rock to my Ohlins, there's no wonder why I like to drive my MINI every where I go...

Old 08-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Aikmanson
2nd Gear
I didn't even think it was that thick on the front, damn. For the rear it is 16 or 17 mm for the non s and s I believe. It's a wonder why they put such a small bar in the back and a stiffer one up front.

Well no wonder really, they would rather the car understeer from factory.

Not to change subject, but do you love the handling of your ohlins? How does it compare to your friends Megan's other than soft versus hard

Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I didn't even think it was that thick on the front, damn. For the rear it is 16 or 17 mm for the non s and s I believe. It's a wonder why they put such a small bar in the back and a stiffer one up front.

Well no wonder really, they would rather the car understeer from factory.

Not to change subject, but do you love the handling of your ohlins? How does it compare to your friends Megan's other than soft versus hard
People say that for the money, Ohlins are pricey for coilovers with a bit softer springs. Especially when they have the pedigree of making amazing track coilovers. But I daily and track this MINI and they compromise is negated when you add a 22+mm swaybar. It's definitely planted and its so forgiving on the street that you will absolutely wish the suspension was set like this from factory. The stock suspension takes a beating on bumps, but the Ohlins absorb them with hardly a loss on handling.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
I must say I was really disappointed with the handling when I first picked up my 2010 MCS. I swapped the tires for low profile non run-flats and bigger rims. The car stuck better but was bouncy and the under-steering was a pain.
Last week I purchased and installed an Alta 22mm rear sway bar.
I can not say enough positive about how it has transformed the drivability. This is a different car now. What where BMW thinking with the stock sway bar. Such a simple change for a DRAMATIC TRANSFORMATION.
If you have not done this upgrade I would highly recommend it. Takes 3 hours and you can do it yourself.
Wait till you lower your MINI;-)

Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Front Sway Bar sizes:

Cooper: 21.5
S: 22.5
JCW: 23.5

It gets stiffer, but not by much. It's not like upgrading the front to a totally new sway bar like Eibach's front swaybar kit, but 2mm is hard to even define as being much stiffer and worthy of "ewww"
I measured the front on the Cooper sport suspension as being 23.5 (on both 07 and 13).

I've heard that roll bar stiffness goes up with the 4th power of the diameter, so those extra 2mm are worth about 40% extra stiffness.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Avalon786
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2011 MCS with Sport suspension. I upgraded the wheels to JCW 17s with the dunlop RF and I am very impressed with the handling. I came from a 2006 911 C4 and under 50-60mph, I have more fun with the MCS! Handling seems superior to most stock set ups!
What is the size of the rear sway bar on a 2011 MCS with sport suspension?

Old 08-23-2013, 05:53 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
No promises here, but I'm fairly sure it's still 17mm.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:30 AM
Aikmanson
2nd Gear
Your correct. Otherwise it is 16mm

Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Btwyx
I've heard that roll bar stiffness goes up with the 4th power of the diameter, so those extra 2mm are worth about 40% extra stiffness.
It does, so they are.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 314 Likes on 237 Posts
GregoryK - it's quite a bit more neutral now? Likes to turn in?

I can hear you grinning from here.

Beware the dark side!

I know from first hand experience that for a few grand you can make the car corner at 1.1 G on street tires...

A slippery slope, and at the bottom waits an autocross obsession.

Kind regards,

Charlie

The following data is from my old R53, but things haven't changed much. Direzza Z1 in warm and dry conditions on asphalt.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:50 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Charlie,

You are soooo right. Loves to turn. Pretty neutral in a drift too.

GK

Old 08-23-2013, 02:39 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 314 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Charlie,

You are soooo right. Loves to turn. Pretty neutral in a drift too.

GK
Want help finding a race?

Old 08-23-2013, 02:43 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
:-) I'll let you know

Old 08-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Avalon786
What is the size of the rear sway bar on a 2011 MCS with sport suspension?
Your correct. Otherwise it is 16mm
I also measure the rear bar on the Coopers with sport suspension, it was 18mm on both.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Avalon786
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Btwyx
I also measure the rear bar on the Coopers with sport suspension, it was 18mm on both.
So if I upgrade to a 22mm what is the biggest difference? More stability and less body roll?

Old 08-24-2013, 10:25 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
eliminated understeer.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:39 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Avalon786

So if I upgrade to a 22mm what is the biggest difference? More stability and less body roll?
As mentioned above less under steer and faster turn-in. The car will have more neutral handling.

Quick Reply: R56 R56 Handling