R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 oil dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013 | 07:59 AM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
oops, started this thread on my phone and didn't see it was in the Gen2 forum. sorry, all my remarks referred to the flimsy POS in the Gen1.

Old 08-26-2013 | 08:03 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Most of the time it displays false readings of actual level, there are many posts about it.

Issues is with top bulge on the OEM sticks reader.

Borrowed this pic from one of the threads.

Typical method is to check oil when engine is HOT. Some folks are checking when cold, not sure that is accurate way IMO. Anyways....

Remove stick, wipe it down, insert and remove it, and that bulb at the top drags on the inside of the dip stick tube grabing the oil residue dragged up from the first removal. Folks pull it out, see shiny oil at the top bulb and assume "it's full"....

As far as the OEM one for the 1st Generation goes, it is made of thin fiberglass and they will ALL eventually snap off about 3-4 inches down from the bottom of the grip, lower half ends up falling down into the pan, rendering it un-retrievable ( 99.9% of the time ) absent dropping the front sub-frame and then removing the oil pan.... This obstruction also prevents a new stick from being inserted.....

Most clubs have group buys for the Craven sticks. Ours had one, they were $60.00 ea and Craven included free shipping to club's shipping address.

These are quality parts specific to one model line ( MINI ) which required R&D by folks earning a pay check using equipment and computer software, and distributed by employees with health insurances paid to move the product to you from a building/business......not a drop shipper with basically zero overhead, a paypal account and an iPAD.....
Quoting me on this wasn't really neccessary as that's not the dipstick I have at all or was talking about. I understand that's the evil POS dipstick that doesn't let you get a good reading. Mine is all metal, flexible, and has metal bulbs that do not cause that readability issue.

I've also heard that sanding or grinding down the top bulb that you have pictured cures the readability issue.

Being that mine doesn't drag oil down the dipstick, and it's not the plastic/composite type, I'm not worried at all :P

Old 08-26-2013 | 08:08 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Mine looks like this one:

Old 08-26-2013 | 08:30 AM
ramjet77
3rd Gear
I, to,o fabricated a dipstick using a stainless windshield wiper spline (.030" thk X .095" wide) but I can't get it to fully insert in the tube because it has to bend in more than one plane. This is for a Gen R53. All it seems to do is to start scraping the dipstick tube before it just stops going in. Can someone explain how they got this fix to work on theirs? I've tried inserting it at different orientations to find an insertion "sweet spot" but have had no luck.
George

Old 08-26-2013 | 09:02 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Folks...
Just get the cravenspeed one....
Just like grayraven, I got mine in a group by (same one actually) and it is great.
Sure kinda $$, but to put it in perspective, the cost of a mini oil change is $60-120 (unless you diy).....so spending 60-75$ on a dipstick is not out of line IMO....stuff for the mini is $$...small market, small numbers...and parent company like BMW, need I say more?!
I urge you folks not to be foolish in trying to save $75, the need to spend $5000-7500 on a motor.... Kinda crazy!! Get a reliable, easy to read stick...then use it!!
The fact you even tried to use the OEM one, I give you points....you looked...but remember, oil levels are not really exact.... Will drive you ocd types crazy...check it, great!!
But just get the level Somewhere on the stick...in the normal range.
Try this out...check you oil level in the am...drive...look after you park, engine off for 5 minutes....drive home...check it again....
Just having a slight slope of a driveway, the oil up in the passages, etc all cause variations in readings....
The important thing is you look....don't ever worry about adding less than maybe a half quart....
IMO....add when you need a half or a whole....trying to add less than that is so inexact, you will go crazy!!
Rant over....
Now check your oil!!

Old 08-26-2013 | 09:05 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
But if sanding down the top bulb on the plastic/composite dipstick solves the poor readability of it, why spend $75 is my point?

Old 08-26-2013 | 10:31 AM
highlander709
4th Gear
Sanding the bulbs works great. I sanded top and bottom bulbs flat on opposing
sides - much easier to read and took about 5 minutes to do the job.

Old 08-26-2013 | 01:26 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by highlander709
Sanding the bulbs works great. I sanded top and bottom bulbs flat on opposing
sides - much easier to read and took about 5 minutes to do the job.
Yup.

Craven Speed makes great stuff, but I've already given them too much money.

That's why I filed mine...

Old 08-26-2013 | 06:31 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
Now this is the part that gets me. I have he same dipstick. It's all metal and flexible, same as that Craven one. It has 2 bulbs on it to represent high and low levels, just like yours. And as you said, it's not hard to read at all. I get a simple reading every single time. Why are you thinking of changing it out? There's nothing flawed about this particular dipstick.
I've read all these horror stories and wasn't sure I was reading it right. It was always "full" until about 2k after I got the car and finally noticed it right in the middle of the 2 bulbs instead of towards the top one. Still not sure which one is prone to break. Is it only the R53 version? Mine seems solid.

Originally Posted by norm03s
DIY
I measured the OEM dip stick 3 times from the stop on the handle to the high and low level points at the bottom on that stupid thing you can't read.
I did that sometime ago before it broke.
*Note* the last step is trimming the stainless steel spine.
Do not cut the stick to length yet
Disclaimer here, these are the measurements I arrived at and used, your results may be different.
Stop to high oil level = 55mm
Stop to low oil level = 57mm
The metal for the stick is the stainless steel spine from a 26" windshield wiper blade. I was all set to buy a new one but lucked out when I got to the auto parts store. I found what I was looking for sitting right there in front of the store in their trash can, they replace wiper blades for customers right in front of the store, score!
Anyway, cut off whats left of the stick from the handle, then drill or Dremel the handle out enough to just go past the two O rings. Test fit stainless steel spine into hole often, you don't want it to big. Well there isn't much there to work with anyway.
Now cut some notches in the end of the spine. I used JB Weld, two part epoxy to bond the spine into the handle.
Let it sit and harden up per JB Weld instructions.
Now you can measure 3 times and cut once at about 59mm.
I used metal number and letter stamps to mark high (55mm) and low (57mm) level lines and filled in between those lines with IIXXXXXXII> stamp to give the oil something to cling to.
On the end of the stick you want to shape it like a spear point and polish it up so it will slip by that step you can feel when inserting the dip stick.

That's about it.
are you saying there is only 2mm difference between high and low? Seems at least a couple of cm's to me.

Quoting me on this wasn't really neccessary as that's not the dipstick I have at all or was talking about. I understand that's the evil POS dipstick that doesn't let you get a good reading. Mine is all metal, flexible, and has metal bulbs that do not cause that readability issue.

I've also heard that sanding or grinding down the top bulb that you have pictured cures the readability issue.

Being that mine doesn't drag oil down the dipstick, and it's not the plastic/composite type, I'm not worried at all :P
Yeah, mine doesn't seem to drag much oil either. It was right inbetween the bulbs before oil change and filled it to about 3/4 between bulbs when I did my oil change. The readings have been consistent so for our stick, it seems to be much adoo about nothing.

yep, that's mine as well. Is this the one that people have broken/ have trouble reading? I hate coming in after the fact...

Old 08-26-2013 | 07:07 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4

yep, that's mine as well. Is this the one that people have broken/ have trouble reading? I hate coming in after the fact...
No,

that looks like a dream to read.

The crappy current OE one is this style.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-oil-line.jpeg

Old 08-26-2013 | 08:58 PM
genik
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
No,

I wouldn't find it crappy to read cause you can easily see the difference cause the dry surface is matte and It gets shiny where the oil is, so that gives the idea of the oil level, where as in the 1st stock dipstick, its always shiny even in the oily surface, making it pretty hard to figure it out.

Old 08-26-2013 | 09:56 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
r56 dipstick

I had an '08 and it had that dipstick, easy to read. Concerning my new '12, the dipstick is almost impossible to read. The dealer gives a ******** method using paper to read the dipstick. Bottom line the B.S. dipstick will read overfilled if you used the Manual directions for reading the dipstick.
I am not a fan of the legal profession in general, but someone could make a boatload on this one.

Old 08-26-2013 | 10:02 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Sand.....the..... top.....bulb.....

Though I agree, there should NOT be a BS excuse and justification in place of a functioning dipstick, it CAN be bypassed somewhat simply from what I'm seeing online. I guess in the world of basic fixes Vs. the sue happy culture we live in, I just take the 5 minute fix and not raise my blood pressure getting worked up about things that small? I certainly don't shell out $75 in lieu of a 5 minute DIY fix lol.

Old 08-26-2013 | 11:31 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
No,

ok cool. Glad that is one thing I can cross off my list.

Old 08-27-2013 | 05:45 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by genik
I wouldn't find it crappy to read cause you can easily see the difference cause the dry surface is matte and It gets shiny where the oil is, so that gives the idea of the oil level, where as in the 1st stock dipstick, its always shiny even in the oily surface, making it pretty hard to figure it out.
Perhaps you should own it before you claim it's looks "easy to read".

The problem with it is after the first pull-to wipe after the engine has been running... The bulbs smear oil up and down the dipstick tube.. Making further readings useless.

And yes, it's too smooth which makes clean oil impossible to see.

I found filing the bulbs worked fine to fix this ( and gave the stick more texture).

Old 08-27-2013 | 06:38 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Sand the BOTTOM bulb, that is the one that drags oil up the tube.

Old 08-28-2013 | 02:44 AM
genik
|
5th Gear
I found filing the bulbs worked fine to fix this ( and gave the stick more texture).
Thanx for your opinion, but what do you mean by "filing" the bulbs?

Old 08-28-2013 | 04:05 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Thanx for your opinion, but what do you mean by "filing" the bulbs?
This:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...461-post1.html

Was my fix.

Old 08-28-2013 | 08:17 AM
genik
|
5th Gear
So cutting just the sides of the bulbs will not smear as you say the dipstick tube?

Old 08-28-2013 | 09:41 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
So cutting just the sides of the bulbs will not smear as you say the dipstick tube?
Yup, it helps quite a bit... It's not perfect, but far better.