R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 09 MCS - Odd Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:08 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 MCS - Odd Noise

So a while back I posted that I'm getting a weird noise when getting on boost. I don't really know what the noise is but, I made a 6 second video of the noise. Sorry for the bad quality but, it sounds like a high pitched whistle or whining noise. What exactly could this be?

Also, it doesn't seem like I'm losing any boost, so I've provided a picture of a Torque gauge to show my boost. The red arrow is where I hit when pushing the car.

If you guys have any ideas what in the world it could be, I'm open to it.

Torque Gauge

Last edited by cdboss; 09-10-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:39 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
No one? I can try and post a better video if you need.

Also, thanks for all the help in advance.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:17 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Do you guys think it could be my exhaust making the noise? I checked all my hoses for the turbo just in case and nothing really feels loose.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:25 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
I still can't figure this out. It's driving me insane. It just seems like it keeps getting worse. I checked the hoses again to make sure and I'm still getting this noise. I don't know if the turbo is bad or if something is seriously wrong. The care doesn't really feel any different than it always has but, this noise is really worrying me.

It literally only happens if I push the throttle heavily. When I drive around the car normally, I don't really get much of it. It's not high pitched anyway. Is there something seriously wrong with my car?

Any insight, tips or help? I'm getting desperate here. I might have to just take it into the dealer or perhaps Helix, because I don't know what to do and I don't really have a whole lot of money right now.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:23 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry your not getting much of a response dude...I wish I had something useful to tell you. I hear what you're talking about in that vid...i think it actually sounds kinda cool. I'm curious as to what it is also...

for starters I guess...is your mini completely stock?

Old 10-05-2013, 01:26 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cambo
sorry your not getting much of a response dude...I wish I had something useful to tell you. I hear what you're talking about in that vid...i think it actually sounds kinda cool. I'm curious as to what it is also...

for starters I guess...is your mini completely stock?
Hey cambo, thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's pretty odd and it's very high pitched. You can hear it with the windows even up. I was assuming it's something to do with my intake and the turbo. I don't know if there is an air leak, but that's kind of what it sounds like to me.

Also, yes my Mini is fully stock other than the wheels. I want to start putting together some mods finally but, if there's something wrong with the car, I feel that's an obligation over the rest.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:03 AM
cambo
3rd Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ine-sound.html

Looks like someone may have complained about the same thing...lol...even seconding my remark of it 'sounding cool'

I'd try to contact this person and see what his resolution was.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:14 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Hey cambo. Nice find, wow. I've been searching the forums and Google for a while now and couldn't really find anyone else complaining about the same noise.

Funny thing is, if it's the water pump, mine was replaced under recall about a year ago. If it does turn out to that, I'm going to complain pretty crazily, because my old water pump in the car seemed just fine, only reason it was replaced was because of the warranty.

I'm going to shoot this guy a message and see if they found resolution. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2013, 04:17 AM
cambo
3rd Gear
no worries at all brotha! second set of eyes always helps! good luck!

Old 10-05-2013, 08:13 AM
cambo
3rd Gear
Here's another one boss:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cooper-s.html

dude I'm bored at work on a Saturday...I've been reading through all sorts of random threads across multiple forums for the past 5 hours lol...and coincidentally keep on coming across the water pump failing and a tell tale "whine".

Bummer you just got it replaced too...

Old 10-05-2013, 08:23 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
I'm also at work and quite bored. However, another good find. I just posted on the thread to give me an update. Apparently the guy is bringing his in today. I didn't know there's two water pumps on the car though?

If it happens to be the same water pump that was replaced under recall, do you think they'd replace this out? Seeing as it barely lasted a year, that's kind of pathetic.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
So a bit of an update on this. I took it up to the guys at Helix13 yesterday to have a look. I ended up getting my serpentine belt replaced, which was good and needed to be done anyway.

Anyhow, they put some smoke/pressure through the intake valves to check my intake and found no leaks. It's not a vacuum leak, don't think it's the water pump, more than likely not an exhaust leak and it's something related to the intake but not sure. They got the sound what seems to be quieter and it sounds more like a turbo sound.

Still not exactly sure what it is but, they're pretty sure it's something with my intake. They took the entire cold-side apart and started piecing it back together to see if they could remove the sound.

Anyway, I highly recommend Helix13 if anyone is local to Philly and looking for a good shop. Good guys and they know what they're doing.