R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Track tire choices for R56 17" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Jolyrogr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track tire choices for R56 17" wheels?

So I've been starting to track my car more often and thinking about a set of dedicated track tires. Need more grip and need to stop beating up my daily driving tires! I have no clue what my options or a good choice are for this. These would be strictly for track events though I would need to drive to the events on them on the highway as I dont have a way to transport two sets of tires and wheels. But again, looking for race tires. Not street/performance. Size is 17"x7" wheel. Normal suspension.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:09 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want something sticky on the track that is streetable, Bridgeston RE11's all the way (assuming they're available in the size needed). I have never had a better performing "street" tire in my life. If I remember right, wear rating is 120-140 or so, so they're super grippy, but I've driven on the highway in rain with then and didn't feel too worried(driving easy of course).

Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Looks like actually a 200 rating. Awesome street/track tire.

Also looks like they have a new one out here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
More pricey, and I can't give a personal review, but they are sticker and seemed to have been developed in the ring, so for a street legal track tire, if you have the coin they look tempting.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:13 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Toyo R888
Bridgestone RE-11A
Hankook R-S3
Dunlop ZII
BFGoodrich g-Force Rival
Yoko AD08 R

RE-11A is a well rounded streetable tire in dry and wet conditions. But if flatout grip is your choice, then the g-Force Rival has been blowing out the competition in reviews lately. That's my next track tire.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Toyo R888
Bridgestone RE-11A
Hankook R-S3
Dunlop ZII
BFGoodrich g-Force Rival
Yoko AD08 R

RE-11A is a well rounded streetable tire in dry and wet conditions. But if flatout grip is your choice, then the g-Force Rival has been blowing out the competition in reviews lately. That's my next track tire.
The R888 is going to be the grippiest of the bunch. The RA-1 is I believe the same compound as the 888 just in a different mold. The R888 is getting pretty close to a dedicated r-comp though (Hoosier A6). For your purposes I would rock a set of Rivals, RS-3s, or RE-11as. Since it's just for track days and you're not running for times it won't really matter which one. They're going to be about as fast as each other.

Do you have any brake upgrades? The stickier tires will require brakes that can handle more heat.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
The R888 is going to be the grippiest of the bunch. The RA-1 is I believe the same compound as the 888 just in a different mold. The R888 is getting pretty close to a dedicated r-comp though (Hoosier A6). For your purposes I would rock a set of Rivals, RS-3s, or RE-11as. Since it's just for track days and you're not running for times it won't really matter which one. They're going to be about as fast as each other.

Do you have any brake upgrades? The stickier tires will require brakes that can handle more heat.
Ah yes, very true. R888 are really soft and just driving around town you will notice chunks slowly coming off which shows it's true character of, no sacrifice, grip.

I have Stoptechs, so braking isn't an issue for me, hopefully OP will invest into this or at least better pads.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:34 AM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want it to be a street tire, I'd choose the Hankook RS3s in 215/45/17. They are going to handle the heat better than pretty much any other street tire.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:38 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by aklucsarits
They are going to handle the heat better than pretty much any other street tire.
Not knocking them as I personally haven't run them, but do you have some sort of independant study you conducted to back up that "factual" claim? I can say from experience the RE-11's are absolutely amazing at handling heat and staying consistent. I can also say that I have 2 friends who have had RS-3's. And now run RE-11's and Toyo's.

That's all my personal experience with the RS-3's, so I can't say anything on their performance. BUT, I also wouldn't say the tires I do have experience with are "going to be better at x than pretty much any other". You absolutely do not know that....

Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Jolyrogr
3rd Gear
I have no brake upgrades as of yet other than RBF600 and EBC redstuff pads. And again, I dont need to drive these on the street any more than just getting to track events. Otherwise, no street driving. So all I need in that regard is something that is "street" enough that can get me there and back.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:34 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
keep in mind, highway use will wear track tires fast. So I'd still suggest something such as the tires suggested so far. RE-11's can handle highway wear quite nicely. I've heard the RS-3's can as well though I've heard at least one person I know who autocrosses regularly say they weren't terribly predicable in the turns. The RE-11's let you know when they're getting to their limit. From what I've heard(and again, only 1 or 2 reviews), the RS3's don't really show any sign of lettin go until they do, and then it's too late.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Jolyrogr
3rd Gear
Well, I'm looking at about 50 miles each way to get to these events. That would be it.
Thinking the 888's might be what I'm looking for. Unless 100 miles on the highway will destroy them.

Originally Posted by InjectedGT
keep in mind, highway use will wear track tires fast. So I'd still suggest something such as the tires suggested so far. RE-11's can handle highway wear quite nicely. I've heard the RS-3's can as well though I've heard at least one person I know who autocrosses regularly say they weren't terribly predicable in the turns. The RE-11's let you know when they're getting to their limit. From what I've heard(and again, only 1 or 2 reviews), the RS3's don't really show any sign of lettin go until they do, and then it's too late.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:47 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
140 rating on R888's isn't the best idea to drive on. You'll want the most outta them on the track. You don't have some stocks to ride on to get there, and then jack up the car and swap out?

Old 09-11-2013, 11:48 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jolyrogr
Well, I'm looking at about 50 miles each way to get to these events. That would be it.
Thinking the 888's might be what I'm looking for. Unless 100 miles on the highway will destroy them.
R888s and EBC Redstuff pads is no bueno. Either step up to a proper track pad or just go with Rivals. Or drive slowly . The Rivals will last longer and be safer if you get an unexpected rainstorm driving home.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Jolyrogr
3rd Gear
I would assume that any of the below listed tires, namely the Rival would still be WAY better on the track than the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Position run flats I have on now? Again, not looking for a street/track tire per say. Just something I can drive home on.
If I did race tires, I could swap out to race pads if its ok to swap back and forth between pads.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:31 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
The different surfaces, textures and debris on the public roads (100 miles per event or not), are going to eat up race tires in a hurry. I stand behind the 200 wear rating "street" tires likethe RE-11's in your situation. I doubt you'll push a tire such as suggested thus far beyond it's breaking point much at all depending on any power/suspension mods made thus far.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:33 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Also, since brakes were brought up. At a very bare minimum make sure you're running a high quality DOT4 brake fluid with a fresh flush/fill at least once a year. Also, changing your oil before each event and sometimes even after depending on how hard/long you run the car at the track is a great idea. Racing isn't cheap, even hobby track days unfortunately :(

Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Jolyrogr
3rd Gear
Yes, on monday ran RBF600 and EBC redstuff pads. No issues. My car is still pretty much bone stock so I chose the redstuff to keep dust down on the street. If I continue to do this, I'd switch to a full track pad and swap them out. Thanks for the oil advice though. Will probably do that.

So looks like Rival or RE11 are way to go. Not sure if there is a rival to fit though. I'm running the OEM 205/40/17 size. Looks like closest size for Rival is 215/45/17? Would that even work?

Also, since brakes were brought up. At a very bare minimum make sure you're running a high quality DOT4 brake fluid with a fresh flush/fill at least once a year. Also, changing your oil before each event and sometimes even after depending on how hard/long you run the car at the track is a great idea. Racing isn't cheap, even hobby track days unfortunately :(

Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
TONS of people run 215's rather than 205's. Myself included. Just litle bit extra tire. That would be my suggestion.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Jolyrogr
3rd Gear
TONS of people run 215's rather than 205's. Myself included. Just litle bit extra tire. That would be my suggestion.
Cool. Seems like Rival and RE11 should work best for me as you suggest.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:41 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Yeah. Something right around a 200 wear rating with SOME kind of tread to them. I know the RE-11's I had on my MR2 were capable of more than my own courage/ability was. I only ever found their limit once or twice, and it was on some relatively risk-free autoX runs.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Jolyrogr
3rd Gear
Cool. So these would definitely give me a marked improvement on the track from the Potenza 960's I have on the car now? I think either is suitable for driving to and from the events so not worried about wet traction or true daily driving. Between the Rival and the RE11's purely which would be better for the track over the 960's I have now.

Last edited by Jolyrogr; 09-11-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Rival will be better for track. Better with heat and sidewall wear. In fact I'd choose RE11 last out of the extreme performance category for your purposses

Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Both of those tires are going to be far superior to the runflats you're running on now. As far as picking between the two I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. The Rival is a little more of a known entity since the RE-11a is a new compound and there hasn't been a whole lot of back to back comparison testing. The rival is generally a bit cheaper but the RE-11a has a $70 prepaid visa card if you buy from TireRack currently. Not sure really. If it was my money I'd be ordering the Rivals. But lots of people were fans of the RE-11 and every indication is that the RE-11a is better.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:06 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't believe anybody didn't say this yet but don't start square 1 on a dedicated track tire like an Toyo R888, Nitto NT01, or Advan A048. You should learn the characteristics of the car on a high performance summer tire like a Dunlop Z2, Hankook RS-3...etc. This has been repeated a lot before, but diving straight into a more sticky competition tire hides a lot of driver mistakes.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but at Grattan in May I was on my old Dunlop Direzza Z1 star specs and was much faster compared to some people with less experience running R888s. Take it one step at a time. You learn far more on a summer tire at first on track. You'll know when you're ready for a dedicated track tire based on your consistency at the track.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolyrogr
So I've been starting to track my car more often and thinking about a set of dedicated track tires. Need more grip and need to stop beating up my daily driving tires! I have no clue what my options or a good choice are for this. These would be strictly for track events though I would need to drive to the events on them on the highway as I dont have a way to transport two sets of tires and wheels. But again, looking for race tires. Not street/performance. Size is 17"x7" wheel. Normal suspension.
Not sure why you say you have no way to transport a second set of tires. You have a MCS hatch, right? I regularly put 4 225-45x15 R888s in the back of my hatch with the seats down, along with tools, jack, over night bag, ice chest, etc. for track days. I drive ~180 miles each way on street tire that can be used as rain tires on the track - the Toyos are well worn.
My recommendation would be the R888s in a 215 45x17 (edit: please see my post below about tire choices and experience), pack them in your car and drive to the track on you AS tires. The R888s new work in the rain. Next to the Toyos I would go with the Rivels, next the ZIIs; I am not a fan of the weight of the RE11s. While a 225 fits, it is a tight fit, and with the wheels I have now, they rub. As for wheels, get something light weight like the Enkei racing with a 43 or 38 mm offset. And most of all get a really good set of race brake pads. Nothing with the word "street usable" in the description. The more the description says to stay off the street with them, the better. But, even a "race pad" can be driven on the street.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 09-11-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: edits

Quick Reply: R56 Track tire choices for R56 17" wheels?