R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Money shifted my Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 PM
reRESERVEDMD
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Money shifted my Coupe

Yes, after over 120,000 miles of driving manuals, I managed to do a noob mistake.

I was on the highway ramp on top of third at around 6500rpm and shifted into 4th... Except 4th wasn't there anymore and the transmission slipped into 2nd instead...

After lots of tire squeal and forced deceleration, I immediately pressed the clutch and shifted into 6th. The car was in 2nd for with a clutch fully disengaged for a split second and the revs shot up to 8700-9500rpm range for that moment.

The car drives perfectly fine and there seems to be no issues. What are the chances I bent the valves/baked the flywheel, etc? Also, can I say goodbye to my warranty now, and is there any way to clear the overrrev code?

A month or two ago, my car did go in for service because the bushings on the transmission were wobbly and missing gears was commonplace. The dealer didn't do anything about that though. The fault is still my own, but I feel like this was a great factor as to why the car slipped into 2nd.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:42 PM
MiniWii
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The nice thing about a money shift is, if something bad happened it would've happened at that point. If the car drives perfectly normal you should be okay!

Old 09-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car drives perfectly fine and there seems to be no issues. What are the chances I bent the valves/baked the flywheel, etc? Also, can I say goodbye to my warranty now, and is there any way to clear the overrrev code?
im going to bet your car and your warranty are just fine....

as for the overrev code....if it doesnt clear on its own, find someone with a scan guage or an OBD2 reader and clear it yourself.

honestly, its not as harmful as it you think it is.....they wouldnt allow the car to rev to 8K if it was going to kill it.......now i wouldnt run it to 8k regularly, but a mistake now and then isnt likely to harm anything.

the thing with manuals is, no matter how good of a driver you are, you are going to make a mistake shifting every once and a while......try not to sweat it.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Been driving English sports cars for near 50 years and still, in the heat of battle, occasionally miss a shift. If you're quick on the clutch, no harm-no foul.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:30 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm an auto guy (don't hate me for it), but have read here that the NM engine mount inserts are supposed to reduce missed shifts. I'm running a set and it cuts down on the torque steer. There are other people that make short shift kits, maybe do some searches here for improvements to reduce the play in your linkage?

I agree with the other comments. Your car would be immediately unhappy if the over-rev hurt something.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 09-30-2013, 05:37 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcameron
honestly, its not as harmful as it you think it is.....they wouldnt allow the car to rev to 8K if it was going to kill it.......now i wouldnt run it to 8k regularly, but a mistake now and then isnt likely to harm anything.
Uhh... Nope.

To the OP. TBH I'm shocked you didn't crunch valves but if it's driving fine now chances are good you will be just fine. I've come close to doing a moneyshift once or twice but always clutched in before I exceeded redline. I don't do much aggressive shifting though. Especially from third to fourth because now you're reaching reckless driving speeds here in VA.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 AM
borderwave2
4th Gear
If the engine has a failure in the future the dealer can look at the DME and see that you over revved and deny warranty. I have heard of this happening several times in the Porsche world.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:07 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stop right there please. You are incorrect.

Not sure if you noticed the rev limiter in the car, but it's far less than 8000. They don't "let" it rev to 8000, valves will start floating etc etc. It's a physically forced situation.

If you pop it into 2nd gear at highway speeds, it has no other options. The computer isn't "letting" the car do ****, you're flat out forcing it onto a lower gear at a higher speed, it revs to whatever the math comes out to unless a part breaks in the process. If you're going fast enough and shift into a low enough gear, you could rack the car out to 15,000 RPM because the gearing dictates so, nothing the computer can do about it.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Not sure if you noticed the rev limiter in the car, but it's far less than 8000. They don't "let" it rev to 8000, valves will start floating etc etc. It's a physically forced situation.

If you pop it into 2nd gear at highway speeds, it has no other options. The computer isn't "letting" the car do ****, you're flat out forcing it onto a lower gear at a higher speed, it revs to whatever the math comes out to unless a part breaks in the process. If you're going fast enough and shift into a low enough gear, you could rack the car out to 15,000 RPM because the gearing dictates so, nothing the computer can do about it.
thats funny...because ive personally revved my engine to ~8K while not in gear on occasion.....nothing was forced, and the ecu could have stepped in at any time, and it didnt.

no damage was done to my car, and according to the OP, no damage was done to his car.

like i said, i dont reccomend doing it on the reg.....but an occasional accident is not likely to harm anything.

so please dont sit there and judgingly tell me i am incorrect

Old 09-30-2013, 10:32 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are though. And the factory rev limiter is NOT beyond 8000 RPM. You either have an aftermarket tune or something is wrong with your car.

Your car was revved while sitting with no load on it, briefly and occasionally, to 8000 RPM and it didn't break. His car was forced to a higher RPM on accident briefly and it happened to not break (honestly I'm surprised as a sudden engine brake that hard, something could easily break quite quickly).

So because of these 2 instances of A: No load, revving it up for whatever show-offish reason and B: A very quick accidental downshift that he got lucky on, there is no danger of floating valves, spinning bearing or anything detrimental at 8000+ RPM even though the rev limiter from the factory is set(for engine safety) at about 6200 RPM?

False. I know people who have been in car accidents and gotten nothing but bruises that were worse than accidents where people have died. Must mean the worse accident is perfectly safe, not that they got lucky in any way.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
thats funny...because ive personally revved my engine to ~8K while not in gear on occasion.....nothing was forced, and the ecu could have stepped in at any time, and it didnt.
Pics (well video really) or it didn't happen

Old 10-10-2013, 08:20 AM
reRESERVEDMD
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im going to bet your car and your warranty are just fine....

as for the overrev code....if it doesnt clear on its own, find someone with a scan guage or an OBD2 reader and clear it yourself.

the thing with manuals is, no matter how good of a driver you are, you are going to make a mistake shifting every once and a while......try not to sweat it.
There are two ways to overrev the car: to rev the nuts off it, and to shift it into lower gear, where wheel speeds way exceeds the engine speed; the latter is mechanical and there's nothing that can stop it. It's all physics unfortunately.

Originally Posted by v10climber
Uhh... Nope.

To the OP. TBH I'm shocked you didn't crunch valves but if it's driving fine now chances are good you will be just fine. I've come close to doing a moneyshift once or twice but always clutched in before I exceeded redline. I don't do much aggressive shifting though. Especially from third to fourth because now you're reaching reckless driving speeds here in VA.
I am honestly very surprised that the car is still running. I thought I was gonna be picking up valves from the highway. The reason it was full money shift was because I was trying to be quick on upshift, and I've been having difficulty with trans mounts, but dealer is deaf to my pleadings.

Originally Posted by InjectedGT
You are though. And the factory rev limiter is NOT beyond 8000 RPM. You either have an aftermarket tune or something is wrong with your car.

Your car was revved while sitting with no load on it, briefly and occasionally, to 8000 RPM and it didn't break. His car was forced to a higher RPM on accident briefly and it happened to not break (honestly I'm surprised as a sudden engine brake that hard, something could easily break quite quickly).

So because of these 2 instances of A: No load, revving it up for whatever show-offish reason and B: A very quick accidental downshift that he got lucky on, there is no danger of floating valves, spinning bearing or anything detrimental at 8000+ RPM even though the rev limiter from the factory is set(for engine safety) at about 6200 RPM?

False. I know people who have been in car accidents and gotten nothing but bruises that were worse than accidents where people have died. Must mean the worse accident is perfectly safe, not that they got lucky in any way.
I'm surprised too. I feel that the clutch may have managed to let the car slip enough to take the pounding and not let the full force transfer into the engine.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
If the car runs fine, it wasn't a "money shift". You just "zinged" the motor. (Trust me, I know people who have spent 5 digits' worth of money after a shift like that.)

Be happy, and motor on! Just be more careful shifting--and maybe replace those trans mounts? I bet the torque arm mount mod would help, and it seems really very popular around here.