R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 new guy here

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:02 AM
nick654377
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new guy here

So i have wanted a mini for quite some time now and my lease on my malibu was comming to an end. so the looking has started to happen. well my mom dad came home with a new ats for my mom for her birthday and it fired up my itch again so i started looking but even harder. well i feel i struck gold on the one i found and picked up.

Its an 08 lightning blue cooper s. it has 73000 miles on it and i know many people are afraid of these because of the oil cooler lines and everything else with it but i picked it up for one reason. it was a one owner car and is spotless. if you sat in this car and sat in a brand new r56 you would not be able to tell the difference that is how clean this guy kept this car.

So let the modding begin. I ordered a hot side intake tube and a cold air intake yesterday for it. they should be here this week. I was planning on doing the alta down pipe back exhaust, lowering it and getting a set of black wheels for it. my window tinter is comming out tomorrow to tint the windows.

What else would you guys do to the mcs? I am new to the turbo world/tuner world. came from drag racing mustangs and an old drag nova we have.

So what are some tips please.

Also one thing i did notice about it. the passanger window does not roll down when the door opens. is this a simple fix or a common problem?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:54 AM
CooperDaddy
1st Gear
congrats. I recommend an Alta AcessPort ECU tuner. You can't buy them new, but you can buy them used for ~$650. Used units seem to be in strong demand since Alta no longer makes them, so I figure even if I go with a different solution, I can probably sell my AP for about what I gave for it - seems relatively risk free.

I just bought my first Mini four months ago and love to drive it. Personally I don't need insane power upgrades, I first focused on making the handling better and am real happy with the suspension mods to date (see signature)

Old 10-09-2013, 11:40 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My number one tip for you as someone who has done almost everything to my MINI, is to stop focusing on power!!! Really, just stop now. AccessPort is dead for the R56 and there are limited tuning options available. I have a very detailed build journal for my car with lessons learned. I don't mean to make this a "look at me" discussion, but I think all new MINI owners can learn from my mistakes.

http://www.michiganmini.org/forum/in...p?topic=5198.0

If you wanted a tuner car you should have bought a rice rocket. This isn't the platform to easily tune. The ECU is very complicated. The more thirsty you are for power, the deeper the hole you will dig with the R56 and more frustration you will create for yourself. I was fortunate enough to be around when Evolve had a tuning solution for the N14 powered R56 when it was available (and it's damn good) but until something is out there again, don't waste your cash.

If you want to go faster in the MINI, the greatest increase in speed (besides driver) is from tires and suspension modification.

You already made a mistake by wasting money on boost tubes and a cold air intake. Your gains will be minimal at best and really a CAI functions more like an acoustic piece more than a performance adder. If you can, return them now and start over.

I don't mean to sound like a downer, but just want to be straight forward and tell the truth. Without proper tuning, there is little power to be gained.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:41 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Gotta agree with CountryBoyShane --- without tuning, power mods are useless. I was fortunate by having started when the AP was available and being supported. Now I'm stuck with an acceptable custom remote tune, but scared to death of running it hard without a dyno tune --- by someone knowledgeable with Minis and the AP! Still looking, but not hopeful.

I strongly suggest you give up the power fantasy and stick with what the Mini was designed for --- handling performance. There's little comparison to what a Mustang or drag Nova will do.

If you want to continue, go with either a used AP or a similar product that allows you to change maps and reset CELs. And, definitely find an experienced tuner!

Just for grins, here's a link to my build thread. Hasn't been updated in awhile, but gives a good idea of what's involved. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...april-2013.pdf

Old 10-09-2013, 01:43 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
I have always admired your resilience! Quite a journey you went on, but it further proves the point.

Really, these cars are A LOT of fun when you just stick to what works and what's proven. I swear

Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 PM
CooperDaddy
1st Gear
I agree. I'm really fortunate in that I live on the edge of rural Portland with lots of amazing remote, twisty roads. By spending $3K on a $14.5K car, I've got amazing handling (of course it can be better...) and a reliable, efficient car. I had a 2007 Charger R/T that weighed almost twice as much as my MINI. Of course it did have twice the power, but the MINI is about slicing curvy roads, not about beating a Mustang off the line at a light IMO. Thanks for the build pointer guys. I'll read them.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
I envy you! Southeast Michigan roads are straight, straight, and straight. Good thing we have a handful of great road courses around us.

Good point about the weight. I've drove Chargers and Challengers and they feel like you're at the helm of a yacht compared to the MINI. The MINI is just so much more fun

Old 10-10-2013, 01:32 PM
nick654377
1st Gear
i don't think doing a cold air intake, boost tube and exhaust are going after power. I would more so say they are going for sound. If I want to go fast I will hop on my bike and beat it on some twisties but I bought the mcs for a daily driver and to make it my own.

I will say I am happy with the boost tube and the cold air intake. yes I does not feel like it has more power but being able to hear the little bov made a difference for me and I personally like it.