R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI vs Curb

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:30 PM
tasteskindasalty
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI vs Curb

So about two and a half weeks ago, while driving around the wonderful streets of Atlanta (aka Pothole City) I took a turn at an intersection at relatively low speeds (probably around 15-20 MPH) and hit the crosswalk curb hard. It was hard enough that my instant thought was, "I just killed my car's front axle." The brake light went on, [I believe] the stability light went on, and the red and yellow warning lights flashed on my car (the red exclamation point inside a circle indicator). I turned the car off, turned it back on, and everything seemed normal. Flash forward to now, whenever I pull into my parking spot at home and put the car into park, those same warning lights pop up on my car. They never appear while driving, and, oddly, they never appear while parking anywhere else. I believe the later part is a coincidence, but overall the car drives the same as it always has.

I'm bringing the car in to a service location late next week, but outside the warning lights, my car seems to be in perfect working order. Looking under my car shows no visible damage.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? I'm bracing myself for the worst, and hopefully after the initial $100 "pay me to look over your car" charge I'm in the free and clear. I realize it's hard to diagnose something out of nothing, but any thoughts on what might be the issue?

Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 AM
reRESERVEDMD
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You must've ripped off some of the ABS/DSC sensors, bent the strut. My niece did the exact same thing on her Saab and the same symptoms occurred. Go to an independent shop to get it fixed unless you're willing to tinker with it yourself. It's a very easy job.