R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Difference between Scangauge and OBD II Bluetooth Connector?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Difference between Scangauge and OBD II Bluetooth Connector?

I have decided to buy a scan tool for my 07 MCS and would like to know which is the better choice between Scan Gauge 2 and a OBD II Bluetooth Connector paired with my iPhone.

Are both equally capable or is one better than the other and if so why?

Thank,
Systemlord.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In terms of functionality, they are roughly equal. Both should be able to display any quantity from the OBDII.

I think much of the decision comes down to appearance and personal preference. I don't want yet another device, so I've been using my iphone with the dashcommand app in a cravenspeed cradle. That can monitor all of the OBDII quantities, datalog, and even read general (not MINI-specific) codes. With the cravenspeed cradle, they even include directions and a splice to lead a hidden charging cable from behind the front dash, so my phone is always fully-charged. I think the torque app is even better, but I don't have an android.

That said, others prefer a stand-alone device like the scangauge, and I be hard-pressed to argue with the choice.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess it comes down to do you want to have to use your phone, keep plugging and unplugging it. or have the information always there like a real set of gauges?

Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 AM
1drummer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have been researching this up to as late as yesterday and finally went with the DashCommand because of my Iphone, but struggled with the Scan Gauge II because it offered the oil pressure option where the DashCommand does not. So it should be considered what you are actually going to want to be monitoring. In my case, I am currently needing to monitor the water temp and got a great deal on the DashCommand ($9.99), but eventually I will want to have Oil Pressure monitoring capabilities, so I will be back to looking again. Having said that, the DashCommand looks great and has alot to offer....

Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
NOT oil pressure.

OIL temperature for Scangauge.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:01 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 1drummer
I too have been researching this up to as late as yesterday and finally went with the DashCommand because of my Iphone, but struggled with the Scan Gauge II because it offered the oil pressure option where the DashCommand does not. So it should be considered what you are actually going to want to be monitoring. In my case, I am currently needing to monitor the water temp and got a great deal on the DashCommand ($9.99), but eventually I will want to have Oil Pressure monitoring capabilities, so I will be back to looking again. Having said that, the DashCommand looks great and has alot to offer....
Did you see that they updated the DashCommand app? Much better than it was. Now it is more like torque if not better.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Is fuel pressure out of the question for either Scan Gauge or Dash Command? You say Dash Command can now read torque?

Must have fuel mixture reading!

Last edited by Systemlord; 10-29-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The ScanGauge has readouts you can't get from the phone apps, at least not yet. It will read one or more things off the OBD2 bus, do calculations to them, and present those numbers to you. Most of them aren't all that interesting, but the instant MPG seems to be more accurate than the one in the tach. You can also add new gauges ("Xgauges") that also read specific things off the bus and do math to them, which AFAIK the phone apps do not do.

Using a stand-alone device also lets you use your phone for other purposes and still keep the instrumentation visible.

That said, the SGII is not a very good looking device--it is function over form, which is in contrast to most of the MINI, which is function plus form. The phone apps probably look much nicer. And, if you already have the phone, the OBD2->BT adapter is certainly less expensive than the SGII.

I have read elsewhere that they may have fixed the problem with the Ultra Gauge waking the car up periodically overnight and draining the car's battery, so that may be another option. I don't think it's as good as the SGII, but it certainly looks nicer and is less expensive. It is a dedicated device, of course.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:36 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I was saying that it is much more like torque. It is easier to add gauges etc.

Last night I did notice a fuel pressure (at rail) tag, but I don't know if this works in the MINI.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:01 PM
1drummer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cerenkov

Your right, I didn't realize I had more options for gauges and dashboards.
Thanks

Richard

Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Gambedegallina
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ultraguage. Problems fixed. Works well. Lots of data.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gambedegallina
Ultraguage. Problems fixed. Works well. Lots of data.
Is Ultra Gauge better than Scan Gauge or is it to soon to tell?

Last edited by Systemlord; 10-31-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:26 PM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Just received a Scangauge II that I bought from a member here. I immediately shipped it to Linear Logic to have it upgraded with the Mini specific programming. No charge. I'll let you know what I think when it returns and I've tried it for a few days. A major failing in the Mini design is the lack of gauges. JMO.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I've been doing a lot of thinking between Scan Gauge and Ultra Gauge, what I want to know does the Ultra Gauge provide air/fuel mixture ratios and O2 sensor voltages? This is most valuable data and is one of the major reasons for wanting a scan tool/LCD readout. Sure both claim to in the feature list, I was reading into UG and it stated it doesn't actually show you O2 sensor data but shows on that it's in a ready status without actually showing data. Maybe I miss understood I don't know?

If both devices report readings or data on the same gauges I like UG, but not if it can't show O2 sensor voltages and fuel mixture ratios! I also like that you can set alarms for engine temperatures etc..

Last edited by Systemlord; 11-01-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:31 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
...(snip)...

I have read elsewhere that they may have fixed the problem with the Ultra Gauge waking the car up periodically overnight and draining the car's battery, so that may be another option. I don't think it's as good as the SGII, but it certainly looks nicer and is less expensive. It is a dedicated device, of course.
If you are considering the UltraGuage - and it's price - then be aware it's the FULL price you want to consider. No normal human will be able to endure the onerous and degrading process required to get the "rebate" from UltraGuage. The talent behind UltraGauge may be a good engineer, but he has no respect or consideration for his customers.

Also, the ScanGauge can be set to display in orange while the UltraGauge is stuck in hideous blue.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't recall any O2 sensor voltages or actual mixture figures on the SGII readout. They might be available as Xgauges.

My Scangauge is a couple of years old, however. Newer ones, or the ones with the MINI-specific programming, may have those.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:12 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Yes to A/F ratios on Scangauge.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
Yes to A/F ratios on Scangauge.
What about O2 senors data? SG or UG need both of these features, I know my engine runs lean some of the time and I need to know if fuel pressure (HPFP), A/F ratios and 02 sensors actually give data because my issue is fuel related. Dealer gave up on me so I need to figure this out on my own!

Old 11-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Gambedegallina
2nd Gear
Ultraguage Install

Here's what it looks like. 10 months in the MCS; battery drain issues resolved long ago; no issues.

Color match to factory dash lighting obtained by coveting facing with colored acetate sheet. Don't know if now made with colored screen. Doubt it.

Attached Thumbnails Difference between Scangauge and OBD II Bluetooth Connector?-image.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gambedegallina
Here's what it looks like. 10 months in the MCS; battery drain issues resolved long ago; no issues.

Color match to factory dash lighting obtained by coveting facing with colored acetate sheet. Don't know if now made with colored screen. Doubt it.
Could you provide a link to where you got coveting facing with colored acetate sheet? No one has commented on whether or not UG can read O2 sensor voltages. I'm split 50/50 for SG and UG.

Last edited by Systemlord; 11-02-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:40 AM
Gambedegallina
2nd Gear
Sorry, mis-spelling in my post. I covered screen with a piece of red $.50 school report cover from local stationery store. Got lucky with color match.

UG manual says capable of reading O2 sensor voltage, but vehicle dependent. Can't confirm as didn't set up on mine.

Here is link it UG manual:

ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/support/ultragauge_user_manual.pdf

Old 11-03-2013, 08:55 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
What about O2 senors data? SG or UG need both of these features, I know my engine runs lean some of the time and I need to know if fuel pressure (HPFP), A/F ratios and 02 sensors actually give data because my issue is fuel related. Dealer gave up on me so I need to figure this out on my own!
Loop Status
A/F
GPH
Load
MAP
MPG
MPH
RPM
TPS
Water Temp
Eng Temp
Oil Temp
HPR
Volt
Intake Air Temp
IGN

Old 11-03-2013, 10:10 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by danjreed
Loop Status
TPS
Hello Dan, is that tire pressures?

Mike

Old 11-03-2013, 11:49 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_42
Hello Dan, is that tire pressures? Mike
Loop Status is the fuel system o2 sensor status.

TPS is Throttle position

Old 11-03-2013, 12:15 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks Dan, I was just reading it in the UG manual that Gambedegallina provided a link to! Shame no tire pressure readout, I would like to see that on my display.

Quick Reply: R56 Difference between Scangauge and OBD II Bluetooth Connector?