R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Lug Key

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:07 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lug Key

So a buddy and I were doing my rotors and pads. Whoever last tightened the lugs on the back wheels went pretty heavy on them and when were trying to take the key lug off the entire top of my key sheered off.

What exactly can I do at this point? Does the dealer sell them or is there some other way I can get these off without a tap and die?

If they're universal for Mini, which mine are factory, anyone in south jersey want to let me borrow theirs? Lol

Old 11-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you have the little booklet that came with the locks, then the dealer can order you another key. The downside is it takes about a week or so to come in, since the dealer has to place an order with the lock manufacturer.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:49 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
I don't know if I do. I bought the car used. Could these be tap and died out and just get a new lug key set?

Old 11-03-2013, 02:15 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
A little update.

I'm taking the car up to Pep Boys tomorrow to get all 4 tap and died. Just going to put on 4 after market lug locks instead. It makes me kind of cringe to bring it to them but, I don't really have a choice right now. 2 of the lugs are loosened on the front, not torqued and I can't torque them so, I can't really wait a week.

Pep Boys is the closest to me and they said they'll tap and die all 4 for 50 bucks so, that's not too awful. Going to continue my brakes tomorrow myself, which stinks buts, need to get them on there.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:54 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Pound an socket over the outside of them. They come right off, Ive never met a set I cold not have off in 20 seconds this way.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Bob Saget
2nd Gear
Use a torque wrench next time. You shouldn't be cranking them down as tight as you can. 90 ft/lbs at max. I think the manual says they're supposed to be torqued to like 82

Old 11-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Saget
Use a torque wrench next time. You shouldn't be cranking them down as tight as you can. 90 ft/lbs at max. I think the manual says they're supposed to be torqued to like 82
He said he didn't torque the back wheels, which caused the problem. Someone else did.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:32 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
Pound an socket over the outside of them. They come right off, Ive never met a set I cold not have off in 20 seconds this way.
What do you mean by this? Can you clarify a little bit?

Old 11-03-2013, 04:32 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
He said he didn't torque the back wheels, which caused the problem. Someone else did.
This is correct. I did not torque the back wheels a shop did it.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cdboss
What do you mean by this? Can you clarify a little bit?
Take a socket that is just a little too small for the outside of the lock. Put it over the lock, then hit the snot out of it with a BFH. (Thst' short for Big Hammer.) It should go on. Then you can plug a breaker bar into the socket and loosen the lock.

I don't bother with wheel locks, myself; I've had some close calls and have decided that it isn't worth it to use them.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:29 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
Take a socket that is just a little too small for the outside of the lock. Put it over the lock, then hit the snot out of it with a BFH. (Thst' short for Big Hammer.) It should go on. Then you can plug a breaker bar into the socket and loosen the lock.

I don't bother with wheel locks, myself; I've had some close calls and have decided that it isn't worth it to use them.
Honestly, I'm thinking of just buying a lug set and throwing them onto the car. The wheel locks have been quite annoying with shops forgetting to get them back to me and me forgetting them when I take it to a shop.

This is just the icing on the cake. So you mean just push a socket onto them and I should be able to get them off using like a torque wrench or something?

If it works, it'd be great to save 50 bucks, lol.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:20 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Honestly, I'm thinking of just buying a lug set and throwing them onto the car. The wheel locks have been quite annoying with shops forgetting to get them back to me and me forgetting them when I take it to a shop. This is just the icing on the cake. So you mean just push a socket onto them and I should be able to get them off using like a torque wrench or something? If it works, it'd be great to save 50 bucks, lol.
Use a breaker bar... Not a torque wrench..

Never use a TW to loosen fasteners.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:23 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
Use a breaker bar... Not a torque wrench..

Never use a TW to loosen fasteners.
I was actually using a breaker bar when trying to remove the back ones, lol. Well I'm going to try this tomorrow. If I can't manage to get it to work, I'll just go get them off with a tap and die.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:53 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear

Honestly, I'm thinking of just buying a lug set and throwing them onto the car. The wheel locks have been quite annoying with shops forgetting to get them back to me and me forgetting them when I take it to a shop.

This is just the icing on the cake. So you mean just push a socket onto them and I should be able to get them off using like a torque wrench or something?

If it works, it'd be great to save 50 bucks, lol.
Use an impact socket. The standard ones can shatter. Also if you have a pipe, slip it over the breaker bar for more leverage. I have a 6 ft pipe for my 2 foot bar. Also vibrations can help. While holding a torque on the bolt, tap the breaker bar with a hammer to loosen.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nine5raptor
Use an impact socket. The standard ones can shatter. Also if you have a pipe, slip it over the breaker bar for more leverage. I have a 6 ft pipe for my 2 foot bar. Also vibrations can help. While holding a torque on the bolt, tap the breaker bar with a hammer to loosen.
Yeah my buddy let me borrow his impact sockets. I'll try my best not to damage them, lol. I need to get me a set of them.