R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 So I hit a deer...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Sivi709
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I hit a deer...

Early morning on my way to work and hit a little deer. 2 lanes each direction and the person in the left lane didn't react till after the deer was in my lane. So because of them slowing down, I couldn't duck in behind them and didn't quite slow down enough to miss it either. No airbags deployed and the Mini will live. In the shop now and getting upgrades while it's in there. Finally getting rid of the shiney headlights and going for some blacked out headlights with halos. My M7 hood scoop will be painted body color and the Mini/JCW emblems will be removed. And I'm getting the door ding fixed as well. Sorry for the crappy pic but it's all I have for now. When it's all fixed and stuff there will be plenty more pics.

Link to the headlights
http://www.dashzracing.com/07-11-Min...hts-Black.html

So I hit a deer...-meh.jpg

Old 11-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Glad you are ok......Mini damage sucks......how's the deer?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Sivi709
1st Gear
Deer was dead when I was able to check on it. Animal control took care of it after a quick call. My insurance company has been great to deal with too. Told the shop to take their time and make it perfect and I believe they will.

Last edited by Sivi709; 11-05-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:36 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks but I've been there. That's how I got my R56 in the first place since a deer totaled my BMW.

Regarding the upgrades tho if you already have OEM xenon headlights I would keep them even thought you may not want them. Anything aftermarket will not really compare to the output unless they are a good retrofit of another projector (FX-R for example) and I feel you will not like it. I have had aftermarket projectors before and they have terrible light cut off and out put.

I would hold off and look for a OEM black housing set.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Sivi709
1st Gear
Originally Posted by M'Cooper
That sucks but I've been there. That's how I got my R56 in the first place since a deer totaled my BMW.

Regarding the upgrades tho if you already have OEM xenon headlights I would keep them even thought you may not want them. Anything aftermarket will not really compare to the output unless they are a good retrofit of another projector (FX-R for example) and I feel you will not like it. I have had aftermarket projectors before and they have terrible light cut off and out put.

I would hold off and look for a OEM black housing set.

Mini dealership told me black OEM lights wont work because of where the ballasts are mounted with the new lights or something. Missed it by 6 months production time. Maybe they just didn't want my money at that time though. The lights I'm getting work well, I've used the same brand on a different vehicle. The xenons are nice but HID 4300-6k are also plenty bright for me. The light cut off of the ones I'm getting should be a lot sharper of a line which I actually like. The things I'll be missing are the auto leveling and the washers that I hated anyways. But of course with all products, maybe the set I had on that other vehicle happened to be the fluke good ones, we'll see when it's all put together and of course I'll write my reviews on them here.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:53 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sivi709
Mini dealership told me black OEM lights wont work because of where the ballasts are mounted with the new lights or something. Missed it by 6 months production time. Maybe they just didn't want my money at that time though. The lights I'm getting work well, I've used the same brand on a different vehicle. The xenons are nice but HID 4300-6k are also plenty bright for me. The light cut off of the ones I'm getting should be a lot sharper of a line which I actually like. The things I'll be missing are the auto leveling and the washers that I hated anyways. But of course with all products, maybe the set I had on that other vehicle happened to be the fluke good ones, we'll see when it's all put together and of course I'll write my reviews on them here.
Hmm that's interesting that they would make the layout different. Hopefully you do get a good set, I had premium aftermarket projectors from a well know vendor for BMW's ( Umnitza ) and after a year I retrofitted in some FX-R's. I actually just went back to price a set of projectors for my gf's BMW and it turns out they offer FX-R's as a added option.