R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Cincy2nd
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)

I started working for MINI/BMW in 2006. Before then I never really gave a MINI a second glace. Then I drove a R53 and noted how fun they really are, but "I would never own one". Fast forward to 2010 and I'm behind the wheel of my own R56 S... An impromptu choice coupled with benefits from working for the brand. I was hooked.

After owning and modding many BMWs, daily duty in trucks, delving into VW, and a quick american muscle stint this car proved superior to what I want; not to discredit any of the above. I knew this car and I were in for an adventure. I had no idea.

It started slow. Found an intake on sale in the marketplace? Sure, pick it up. Thicker rear sway? Yep, jump on it. DP, intercooler, tune, and exhaust? Fine.. After those and some personal interior/exterior bits I was satisfied with my car. Driving was pleasure. I lived in Cincinnati and a trip to Deals Gap was in order. The proving grounds for most of my cars...

I went solo, took zero pictures, soaked in the scenery, and drove home with a smile. This was a start to something good.

Friend was back stateside for the first time in over a year, and I made a trip the east coast to see him. The MINI was parked partaking in the fun on the beach with its music blaring. First time it has seen the Atlantic that didn't include it being on boat. Zero issues for the entire trip. Things like this happened on the east coast for 2 years.

In 2012 I made the move from Cincinnati to SoCal. On a whim. With no real plan. Scared and only having one contact out here. Packed her up and ventured out. No issues. None. Just an optimistic MINI waiting for me in the hotel parking lot. Made it and enjoyed sunny SoCal until now.

The time has come to turn her in. This is due to company agreements. I thankfully acquired a job (better) working for MINI and BMW again. Therefor I have a brand new 2013 (last manual transmission this dealership is getting) on its way. Currently on a boat. While I'm anxious for the next step I'll no doubt miss the first. It's the reason the shift **** will be switched out. Some part of her will continue on, and it's my understanding an enthusiast is purchasing my car. I hope he appreciates what it has to offer.

Enough of my rambling. Pictures are worth 10 of my posts...

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-5pqejuv.jpg

Changed these before a big meet at Deals Gap. Good thing.

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-kl5rksc.jpg

Right before I departed. Such an awesome weekend ahead.

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-lbqsdlp.jpg

Made it! This was my third trip there, and proved to be amazing... Stay tuned.

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-bb7ujje.jpg

Freezing morning didn't deter us from exploring. These cabins were amazing!

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-aza068z.jpg

Another shot of the cabins.

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-3ivkat7.jpg

In line with Porches, Noble, and other MINIs.

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-xj45r8y.jpg

Grabbing some much needed gas after multiple runs through different roads.

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-oikcjbs.jpg

Success! Many great runs with a safe and fun crew.

Only picture of my last trip to Deals Gap. Leafs blew into the engine bay and started smoking against my red hot turbo. Put out and inspecting... Co-Driver was much help; taking pictures and all.

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-omurium.jpg

Then I had the itch to be warmer.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-0drsnjp.jpg

Packed what I could and proceeded on a 2,300+ mile cruise.

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-zo3fj6x.jpg

Would not recommended this hotel in TX...

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-jna7esm.jpg

Made it to Long Beach and my friend's shop. Only 40 miles left to the house I currently call home. Nice to have this resource so close.

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-ogyexaz.jpg

Ahhh, home! Took me 4 days before I took it to the track...

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-44lybpi.jpg

Such fun! Times were on par with some serious machines. Very proud of what it was able to turn out.

Farewell Friend; Ode to my R56 (Long + Pics)-vuwhu7f.jpg

Most recent picture. Woke up early to experience St. Angeles Crest. Completely worth it. Not as technical as GMR (no pics sorry), but so secluded.

I look forward to the next chapter and hope you enjoyed reading about my previous one half as much as I did experiencing it.

More pics or clarification if requested. Comments and questions highly welcomed!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Moltenmini
1st Gear
Great read my friend I dig the pictures. So what color is your 13 going to be? I to got one of the last Manuals brought to the dealership. So far i am digging the crap out of this vehicle. Way better than i expected.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:45 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
That was a nice chronicle. Thanks for posting it!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Cincy2nd
Neutral
Originally Posted by Moltenmini
Great read my friend I dig the pictures. So what color is your 13 going to be? I to got one of the last Manuals brought to the dealership. So far i am digging the crap out of this vehicle. Way better than i expected.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Went with Midnight Metallic again, almost felt obligated. While I'm not particularly fond of blacked out cars something about all black MINIs with no stripes appeals to me. This new one will have black headlights and rings too. Might be too much so I might add something down the line to even it out.

Originally Posted by mslatter
Thank you for reading it!

Old 11-21-2013, 04:38 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Good read, glad your keeping it in the family!

Old 11-21-2013, 05:55 AM
Anldyxp_R56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you're getting a new one! And welcome to Southern California! I don't see many black minis down here.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Anldyxp_R56
3rd Gear
Also, if you ever have the time, you should take a trip up to the bay area. Long scenic drive along the coast with awesome twisties on the way to Santa Barbara =]

Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 AM
Cincy2nd
Neutral
Originally Posted by Moltenmini
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Going with Midnight Mettalic again, almost feel obligated. Something about all black MINIs with no stripes. Not sure why I like it so much as I'm normally into "off" colors. Heck, my last M3 was purple (Techno Violet)

Originally Posted by mslatter
Thank you for reading it!

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Good read, glad your keeping it in the family!
Thanks -- glad to be apart of it!

Originally Posted by Anldyxp_R56
Also, if you ever have the time, you should take a trip up to the bay area. Long scenic drive along the coast with awesome twisties on the way to Santa Barbara =]
A trip up the coast is certainly in order once time allows it. I've done short rides up the PCH but never that far up.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:08 AM
ferrell.matthew
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Anldyxp_R56
The drive from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara is indeed gorgeous. Honestly, one of the most beautiful things you'll ever see. Especially that part of the PCH after Malibu right up until you hit Point Mugu. But awesome twisties? Get out here. It's by means no boring drive, but they ain't twisty and they're covered with cops.

Deer Creek Road is twisty as all get out. A good portion of it was repaved since I last had my Mini up there in 2012. There are some bad parts where it's really rough, you go by park and there are Rangers up there, quite a bit of residential drives poking out too... But other parts are empty. No traffic. No railing. It's amazing and very unforgiving.

Also, CA-33 that goes up thought Ojai through park lands and eventually up to the 5 is bar none the best driving road in America. It's often over looked too. Newly repaved so it's super smooth, it's wide. It has AMAZING turns with hairpins and sweepers. Very low traffic. Low CHP traffic as well. An absolute blast!

I miss Southern California so so so much. Best place I've ever lived. Good luck out there! What dealership are you working for? Or are you working with BMW/MINI corporate out in Oxnard?

Old 11-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Anldyxp_R56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ferrell.matthew
The drive from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara is indeed gorgeous. Honestly, one of the most beautiful things you'll ever see. Especially that part of the PCH after Malibu right up until you hit Point Mugu. But awesome twisties? Get out here. It's by means no boring drive, but they ain't twisty and they're covered with cops.

Deer Creek Road is twisty as all get out. A good portion of it was repaved since I last had my Mini up there in 2012. There are some bad parts where it's really rough, you go by park and there are Rangers up there, quite a bit of residential drives poking out too... But other parts are empty. No traffic. No railing. It's amazing and very unforgiving.

Also, CA-33 that goes up thought Ojai through park lands and eventually up to the 5 is bar none the best driving road in America. It's often over looked too. Newly repaved so it's super smooth, it's wide. It has AMAZING turns with hairpins and sweepers. Very low traffic. Low CHP traffic as well. An absolute blast!

I miss Southern California so so so much. Best place I've ever lived. Good luck out there! What dealership are you working for? Or are you working with BMW/MINI corporate out in Oxnard?
There are a lot of detours on your way up north. No twisties directly up but there are back roads near San Juan Capistrano and Carpinteria. A couple years ago my buddies and I mapped out a whole trip taking back roads up to the bay area.

I love Southern California. I don't care what people say about the economy. I will never leave here.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Cincy2nd
Neutral
All this driving talk isn't making me any less anxious to take delivery!

SoCal has been very good to me so far. While day to day driving is quite terrible (traffic), the weekends more than make up for it. Living 5 minutes away from GMR isn't too bad either.

Speaking of SoCal...After much thought I deceided to purchase a few goodies seeing as winter wheels and tires aren't mandatory anymore. So, JB+, BC Racing Coilovers, H-Sport Sway Bar, JCW Strut Bar, NM Torque Arm Insert, and of course a stubby antenna were all purchased recently. Impressions, pics, and updates will be posted once I take delivery of the car. As well as much needed praise to various supporting vendors. Every transaction so far has been top notch.