R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 07 S burned 1 quart of oil in 2k miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:28 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The correct mobil 1 is 0w-40. Just make sure the oil you choose matches the specs to the MINI Castrol specs.

Even though BMW/MINI has high change intervals part of matches to the design, (Oil changes does not equal never adding oil between changes) AND it is 1. expensive in Europe for oil and disposal of oil.

This will be good training for you since Ford has now added the direct injection powerplant to their cars. :-)

Old 03-29-2014, 06:17 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
There are a lot of opinions and experiences on this site about using oil. My experiences with my 08 MCS (about 2-1/2 years, now 87k miles on it) are:

1. I would go through about 1/2 quart of oil every week (300 miles/week) when I first got it. It would consistently be at midway between the upper and lower bulbs, I would check and add every weekend.

2. I had read that someone had learned that they used less oil if they didn't fill the crankcase to the top of the dipstick. This worked for me. I now put 4 quarts in with every oil change, which leaves the oil at about midway between the two bulbs on the dipstick. I now add 1/2 quart when the oil gets to the lower bulb. Oil usage dropped to about 1 quart every 1000 miles with this trick.

3. I replaced the valve cover. It had several minor oil leaks, plus I had read that the PCV system was updated on the VC. This dropped oil usage further.

4. I finally fixed the oil leak at the oil filter housing-to-block. The molded gasket had actually split. With the leak fixed, I now go through about 1.5 quarts between a 5000 mile oil change.

The previous owner of this car followed the recommended oil change schedule (3 oil changes in 49k). I run an OCC with the passenger side port blocked.

Your car is old enough that I would not be suprised if some of the usage was leaking. Look at the front of the engine block, if you see some oil above the downpipe, that is likely from the oil filter housing.

I don't know if this helps, but just sharing my experiences.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 03-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I was at the dealer on Thursday after getting my clutch and brake system flushed and bled, service tech told me there are a few things that need attention. He said I'm do for oil change, funny because I have owned the MCS for a year now and have changed oil twice in 6,000 miles. He even told me I needed to have the service reset, hell I can do that myself! Then he stated I needed a new air filter changed, told him I ordered a K&N filter for it. My local dealer isn't draining my wallet, I can do that on my own!

Old 03-29-2014, 07:43 PM
JacobFatz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mbwicz
There are a lot of opinions and experiences on this site about using oil. My experiences with my 08 MCS (about 2-1/2 years, now 87k miles on it) are:

1. I would go through about 1/2 quart of oil every week (300 miles/week) when I first got it. It would consistently be at midway between the upper and lower bulbs, I would check and add every weekend.

2. I had read that someone had learned that they used less oil if they didn't fill the crankcase to the top of the dipstick. This worked for me. I now put 4 quarts in with every oil change, which leaves the oil at about midway between the two bulbs on the dipstick. I now add 1/2 quart when the oil gets to the lower bulb. Oil usage dropped to about 1 quart every 1000 miles with this trick.

3. I replaced the valve cover. It had several minor oil leaks, plus I had read that the PCV system was updated on the VC. This dropped oil usage further.

4. I finally fixed the oil leak at the oil filter housing-to-block. The molded gasket had actually split. With the leak fixed, I now go through about 1.5 quarts between a 5000 mile oil change.

The previous owner of this car followed the recommended oil change schedule (3 oil changes in 49k). I run an OCC with the passenger side port blocked.

Your car is old enough that I would not be suprised if some of the usage was leaking. Look at the front of the engine block, if you see some oil above the downpipe, that is likely from the oil filter housing.

I don't know if this helps, but just sharing my experiences.

Have fun,
Mike
Originally Posted by 05r50
The correct mobil 1 is 0w-40. Just make sure the oil you choose matches the specs to the MINI Castrol specs.

Even though BMW/MINI has high change intervals part of matches to the design, (Oil changes does not equal never adding oil between changes) AND it is 1. expensive in Europe for oil and disposal of oil.

This will be good training for you since Ford has now added the direct injection powerplant to their cars. :-)
Thanks for the responses everybody.

I have yet to see or hear about a customer complaining about oil usage on a direct injection engine. The most notable complaint I've noticed is the new Focus' "automatic" double clutch transmission isn't the best.

To the 0w40 comment -- I live in SC (I see you live in Ohio) with relatively high temps so the low temperature benefit doesn't really appeal to me. If this will help with the annoying oil consumption then I'm on board.

I've been keeping my oil level at about 3/4 of the way to the top filled. I've already checked for oil leaks and there are none at all on mine. I don't have a catch can and have changed it three times in the 9 or 10k miles I've owned the car. It worries me because the carbon could be accumulating inside the turbo and cause it to overheat. I'm not down for buying a new turbo after (not even) 70k miles.

I'm going to look further into the catch can and inspect further for oil leaks.
Other than consuming oil and my own mistakes, this car has been pretty awesome about reliability and mechanical troubles. This just scares me.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:27 AM
Austinsynthetics
1st Gear
It's frequently discussed that our cars "burn" or use oil, and most contribute it to the car itself. I haven't seen much discussion about the type of oil used and their actual results on the NOACK Volatility Test.

For those that are not aware, the NOACK Volatility Test determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high temperature service, which are Minis notably reside. If an oil performs poorly on the NOACK test then would not our cars use more or less oil depending on the type of oil we use? For example, Valvoline has a reported result of approximately 12% weight loss, Castro or Mini oil (I believe) has almost an 8% weight loss, Valvoline Syn Power has a 7.03% weight loss and Amsoil has less than 5% weight loss…depending on the grade of oil. According to specs, there is a 15% evaporation loss that is allowable to meet API and ILSAC requirements which obviously gives ALOT of leeway for oil producers to play with….and MAY be a culprit in our oil consumption.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Austinsynthetics
It's frequently discussed that our cars "burn" or use oil, and most contribute it to the car itself. I haven't seen much discussion about the type of oil used and their actual results on the NOACK Volatility Test.

For those that are not aware, the NOACK Volatility Test determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high temperature service, which are Minis notably reside. If an oil performs poorly on the NOACK test then would not our cars use more or less oil depending on the type of oil we use? For example, Valvoline has a reported result of approximately 12% weight loss, Castro or Mini oil (I believe) has almost an 8% weight loss, Valvoline Syn Power has a 7.03% weight loss and Amsoil has less than 5% weight loss…depending on the grade of oil. According to specs, there is a 15% evaporation loss that is allowable to meet API and ILSAC requirements which obviously gives ALOT of leeway for oil producers to play with….and MAY be a culprit in our oil consumption.
thanks for the info. i use mobil1 5w-30 full synthetic

Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 AM
HPuck35
Neutral
I think I've solved my oil usage problem

My wife has a 2007 MCS that she bought new. For as long as I can remember it has consumed oil; at least 1Qt every 1000 miles. To me that is crazy.

When it has been using oil, it would always have a little oil around the valve cover bolts. Not enough to explain the usage (IMHO) but maybe a clue. I then read somewhere (can't remember where) about the PCV valve having issues. The end result was higher oil consumption. The PCV valve is not a separate part but imbedded in the valve cover. Had the valve cover replaced (and a new gasket) and for the last month the oil level hasn't changed so that it is noticeable. In the past, a month would have meant adding about 1.5Qt. Also, no oil around the bolts, clean as a whistle.

So, I believe the PCV was probably the bad actor right from the start.

To me it is amazing that Mini either hasn't identified this problem or refuses to admit it (for fear of having to pay for it).

Old 04-02-2014, 05:41 AM
Austinsynthetics
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Gabe3
thanks for the info. i use mobil1 5w-30 full synthetic
Mobil 1 seems to be a popular choice of oil for our Minis. It has a NOACK score of a little over 9. If anyone is having oil loss, then a oil with a lower NOACK rating may help, and of course making sure that our valve covers are changed on the N14 engines. Happy motoring!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:41 AM
marshun
1st Gear
New valve cover had no affect on my oil consumption. I'm still burning 1qt every 1k miles.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:58 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by marshun
New valve cover had no affect on my oil consumption. I'm still burning 1qt every 1k miles.
My bet on high oil consumption is from people following MINI break in procedures and MINI oil change intervals.

I broke mine in hard, did the first oil change at 1K and I don't use any oil, only lose 1/8 qt in 3K miles.

If the rings never seated there is little that can be done now.

FYI being a sport bike guy I did alot of research on oil. Mobil did some changes a while back and white paper report showed it's near the bottom and I stopped using it. Amsoil is the best, I use MINI oil which is castrol edge.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 AM
marshun
1st Gear
Mine didn't start burning oil until 50k. I would think if the rings never seated then it should have started burning since day one. Also, I have changed the oil every 5-6k using Mobil 1 0-40w.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:33 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Mine didn't start burning oil until 50k. I would think if the rings never seated then it should have started burning since day one. Also, I have changed the oil every 5-6k using Mobil 1 0-40w.
have you tried a different oil? 1qt/1k miles is just way too much.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:40 AM
marshun
1st Gear
i have also tried Mini Brand and Castrol Edge.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:59 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
^ that doesn't mean that, by design, it consumes oil. it's not an rx7.

By design, it shouldn't consume oil. And like I said, manufacturer provisions are there to cover their asses. I bet most performance car manufacturers have a provision for oil consumption, just in case. For the turbo Minis, it's probably got a lot to do with owners letting carbon build up causing issues/wear/damage, I don't know. One of these days you guys with significant oil consumption should tear down the engine and see exactly what the issue is.
And those who follow the 10-12K between oil changes. I'm doing mine at 5K-6K max.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Same here, new valve cover same oil consumption rate. The excess oil consumption comes from the N14's over scavenging of the PCV system, if I remove my oil dipstick while the engine is running it stumbles hard. This was with both old and new valve covers, lets face it the N14 has a poorly design PCV system. The N18's are improved.

BMW should have made it to where most of the oil vapors return to the oil pan instead of being thrown into the engine. I just don't see how some could have burned no oil after 5000 miles, that would mean that your PCV system doesn't draw anything from your crankcase, "because there be oil vapors in there".

Old 04-09-2014, 10:41 PM
JM Turbo Coopers
Former Vendor
Part 2 of the link below is the explanation for where the oil is mysteriously going, I have posted this previously in this thread. Believe me it is not a mystery where the oil is going and how there is no signs of where it is going. We advise people on a daily basis on how to prevent this issue or fix it after if has already happened, it is a little hard to understand so I understand the debate around the NOACK rating of oil. We have seen several cars with this issue and have no signs of oil smoke in the exhaust even with a cracked pistons or burned valves.

http://www.jmturbocoopers.com/Cooper...ton-Issue.html

Old 04-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Jprime84
2nd Gear
I am in this boat. I have an 07 MCS with about 69k miles, but I bought it at around 64k miles. I went to check the dipstick months ago and thought I couldnt read the dipstick very well as I couldnt determine the oil level. I decided to add some oil, and found that the entire stick was basically dry. It took 2 full quarts to get back up to the full marker.

About a month or two after that the oil line was back to the low marker. I added a full quart to get it about topped off, and a month later I am about back to the low marker. I see a drip or two of oil on my garage floor but nothing to account for the amount that is missing. When it was in the shop for some recall work, they didnt mention anything about leaks.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jprime84
I am in this boat. I have an 07 MCS with about 69k miles, but I bought it at around 64k miles. I went to check the dipstick months ago and thought I couldnt read the dipstick very well as I couldnt determine the oil level. I decided to add some oil, and found that the entire stick was basically dry. It took 2 full quarts to get back up to the full marker.

About a month or two after that the oil line was back to the low marker. I added a full quart to get it about topped off, and a month later I am about back to the low marker. I see a drip or two of oil on my garage floor but nothing to account for the amount that is missing. When it was in the shop for some recall work, they didnt mention anything about leaks.
What is your distance driven per month and was it city/highway? Some have mentioned they were adding a quart of oil every 2000 miles when their car was new.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:16 PM
JM Turbo Coopers
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Jprime84

You might want to change the turbo and catalytic converter, if not you risk engine damage.

Last edited by JM Turbo Coopers; 04-14-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:24 PM
mikehotel
Neutral
I'm a oil burner too, leaky turbo oil line & valve cover gasket....replacing both soon.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:28 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by JM Turbo Coopers
You might want to change the engine and catalytic converter, if not you risk engine damage.
That's a bit extreme, why replace the engine? Naw, I couldn't help myself..

Old 04-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Irishmic
Neutral
Reminds me of the old days.....Fill the Oil..and check the gas ..please

Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 PM
JM Turbo Coopers
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
That's a bit extreme, why replace the engine? Naw, I couldn't help myself..
Yes, it is. sorry i meant turbo.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:52 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
JM, do you ever use the primary O2 sensor temp as an indicator of turbo/tune health? Sort if as a faux EGT gauge? I use it for cool down but also watch it during cruise/romping. Getting some interesting numbers.

Sent from my Nexus using NAMotoring