R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Cleaning intake valves could this be my problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 05:47 AM
themarques
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cleaning intake valves could this be my problem

Hey guys, so some of you may know that I am having white smoke out the exhaust and had a pressure test done which showed cylinder 4 was low on pressure. I was planing on replacing rings (useless mechanics advise) but decided whilst I am waiting for someone to come do a leak down test I noticed the following.

I closed off the two cylinders firstly which were 2 and 4 and gave them a good cleaning, they weren't that badly gunked up as I tend to clean them up every six months to a year. Plus I had also done the pcv delete.

I moved on to cylinder 1 and 3 and thought I should just take a look back at 2 and 4 whilst they open for any parts I missed. I noticed 4 was wide open that if I looked I could kinda see the piston. But when I went to check on cylinder 2 it was not that opened kinda looked still shut, I spray a little carb cleaner to see in the chamber and it trickled slowly out.

I dont know if 4 is wide open cause I took the spark plug out or because I didnt turn it enough on the crankshaft, I am just waiting for the rain to stop to go back and check. I know 4 is not broken cause its holding fluid when its shut.

So my question is when 2 and 4 are open should they be both wide open or should only 4 be wide open and 2 partly open etc.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by themarques; 11-23-2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: sorry mod please move to
Old 11-23-2013, 08:15 AM
oldtruckpainter
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No two cylinders on a four cylinder engine will be at the same spot in the engines rotation at the same time. Even if they follow each other in the firing order. One is closer to finishing it's intake stroke while the other is just starting it. What you see is normal. If one cylinder has low pressure it could be a bad head gasket (are you also losing coolent?), rings, scored cylinder wall, stuck valve. Time to have someone take off the head and take a look.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:57 AM
themarques
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldtruckpainter
No two cylinders on a four cylinder engine will be at the same spot in the engines rotation at the same time. Even if they follow each other in the firing order. One is closer to finishing it's intake stroke while the other is just starting it. What you see is normal. If one cylinder has low pressure it could be a bad head gasket (are you also losing coolent?), rings, scored cylinder wall, stuck valve. Time to have someone take off the head and take a look.

Thanks so much for that info weight off my shoulder. I wasn't loosing any coolant just the usual oil consumption, what I was having was alot of smoke and I mean clouds when I stopped at traffic lights etc.

I had done the pcv delete and that had been running with the cat for a while when I deleted the cat the smoke started. Pressure test was done to show cylinder 4 was low. The foolish mechanic got me to believe it was the piston rings. Even thought I asked him for a leak down test.

I finally read that a few people suffering the same issue that did the pcv delete. So I bought a new pcv hose and well so far so good..... NOOOOO SMOKEEEEE.

I have been getting cc-id 029 for a bit but this I believe might be HPFP associated. So will take that into the dealership and get them to diagnose.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:57 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It might well be rings. At this point you don't know what it is. A leakdown test will give you a clearer picture.

Just for fun, it could be the piston too...lol