R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Headlights on all the time (R56)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Kelly Beard
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights on all the time (R56)

This is a post I made to our Facebook group:

"Car started up fine today, went to church. Went to lunch with some folks, rode in their car. Came back, tried to start mine - nuh uh. Car just gave a little 'click' then stuff stopped there. Tried that 3-4 times, called my sister who lives not too far away. Looked at the indicator bubble on the battery - black. Sister arrives, gives me a jump, starts right up. Drove to Advance and have them test the battery. Battery is fine, has > 500 CCA available. Their machine said the starter operated normally too. Spooked. Noticed at Advance and at home that when I open the car door the window didn't do its pop-down then pop-up when the door shuts. Works fine on the passenger side though. Also noticed at church that the drivers window was down just a tad and had to roll it back up. ??? Bought a emergency starter just in case. Guess I'll be calling MoN tomorrow on a car freshly out of warranty (of course).
"

I post the battery issue - because. A guy gave me a reset 'routine' for the drivers side window and that seems to work fine now. Last night while I was testing the car the headlights were on, but is fine because I sometimes just leave them on like that. I pulled out of the driveway and tried to turn on the brights and they didn't work. Puzzled, I tried the 'wink' brights and that worked fine. I drove around for a while thinking "what now with this car". At some point I grabbed the headlight control and found I couldn't turn them off because they already were. So, I turned them on and found that now the brights would work. I also noticed that the dash lights were on. So I sat there turning the headlights on and off. The dash lights went off but never the headlights. If I had the brights on and turned the headlights off, that just had the effect of switching to the low beams.

Am I missing something here? I know that I've been able to run down the street with no headlights on before. Is this in any way related to a possible battery issue? BTW, car started up fine this morning like nothing was wrong. I'm still scratching my head on what *might* be going on with the battery. It's the original OEM Exide. The little bubble is black however, not green like it should be. My car is a '11 MCS.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:44 AM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
From what I've read, a marginal battery can cause odd electrical problems. With the colder weather, could make the problem worse.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Kelly Beard
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The battery issue I guess I can appreciate, although my roommate is an EE so he helped me test the battery. We did tests with the car off & on. The battery seems to be delivering > 12v while the car is on. The fact that the bubble is still black is a slight concern though. Figures, the emergency starter I bought yesterday doesn't work either. I plugged it in yesterday to get charge to 100% (it came out of the box at 78%). It's not working either - still at 78%.