R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Warranty Question - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty Question - Help?

My low-mileage (7,700 miles!) 2010 Mini Cooper was towed in with automatic transmission problems yesterday (Tuesday, November 26). Due to the holiday crush, the dealer has still not even looked at the vehicle. Perhaps they'll find time on Friday, but they're "very busy with owners who have appointments" .

In any event, all of the owner's manuals, warranty info, etc., is in the vehicle, so I have nothing to refer to. (The MINI website doesn't give access to the warranty...it says to check your manual or see your dealer ).

So, can any of you tell me if the warranty covers a replacement vehicle while mine is being repaired? I have no way of finding out myself .

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...

Old 11-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Why don't you give the warranty company a call and find out and put on the big boy or girl pants.

Last edited by Systemlord; 11-27-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:21 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Why don't you give the warranty company a call and find out, put on the big boy pants.
Bahahaahaaaa

Old 11-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet

So, can any of you tell me if the warranty covers a replacement vehicle while mine is being repaired? I have no way of finding out myself .

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...
Contact MINI USA regarding the factory coverage question. They might be able to get you a copy of the factory warranty. They are really helpful and responsive. However, as far as a "replacement vehicle", call the dealers in your area. Some dealers will provide a loaner free of charge while your treasure is in for repair (especially big repairs) - varies from dealership to dealership. My dealership here in the DC area provides loaners for free until repairs are completed. I hear others don't. As a last ditch, if everyone says "no" check your vehicle insurance policy - it may cover loaner costs for major repairs.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:29 PM
slayerx02
1st Gear
I believe most mini dealers provide loaner cars when you take your car in for repair regardless, whether the work performed is covered by warranty or not.

When you go to a mini dealer's website to schedule a repair, there should be a section where it asks if you will need a loaner vehicle (usually a base model countryman or clubman is what's provided) all free of charge.

If the dealer offers this service, it may not be part of the warranty but rather something as a goodwill service.

If you don't see this option on their scheduling system, the dealer may not offer loaner cars. Best call the dealer, goodluck!

Old 11-27-2013, 04:15 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As others have said that is the dealers choice. My dealer does offer them but it has to be a reserved loaner otherwise they may not have one.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:59 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I took my JCW in to have them replace the roof decal (they put the wrong one on). I would have been happy to sit around at the dealership...but they offered me a brand spanking new Cooper S....so why not go for an extended spin? Didn't ask for one...I wonder what I would have gotten if I'd actually asked for a vehicle? Um on second thoughts, probably the same thing.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:32 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
This vehicle is under the original MINI manufacturer's warranty (48 months). Needless to say, when your transmission dies after 7,700 miles and you are towed in by MINI roadside assistance, getting online to schedule a maintenance visit isn't the first thing that crosses your mind. I can always wait until Friday to drive to the dealer and beg them to let me look in my glove box for my warranty. I just thought someone on this site might have an answer in the meantime.

Won't bother you folks again...happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 PM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
This vehicle is under the original MINI manufacturer's warranty (48 months). Needless to say, when your transmission dies after 7,700 miles and you are towed in by MINI roadside assistance, getting online to schedule a maintenance visit isn't the first thing that crosses your mind. I can always wait until Friday to drive to the dealer and beg them to let me look in my glove box for my warranty. I just thought someone on this site might have an answer in the meantime. Won't bother you folks again...happy Thanksgiving.
You should be covered for a loaner vehicle. Folks on this site are typically helpful. I was told I am covered with a loaner (if available) when I bring mine in for maintenance or warranty work. If they don't have a loaner they will set me up with a rental. I would go back in and get the loaner.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:39 AM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your dealer can answer your question.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:13 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
IME loaners are a dealer thing .... not a MINI thing. The MINI warranty does not provide a loaner.

It is a question I ask a dealer b4 I buy. Some dealers will always provide a loaner if one is asked for. Some only provide a loaner if you bought from that dealer. One dealer I used, promised a loaner but were out when I went in. So they covered full cost of a rental vehicle.

If you get MINI USA involved in your warranty claim you can ask .... especially if the repair will take time.

If you purchased 'extra' warranty from a third party then 'it depends.'

{of course in over 10 years of driving MINIs, I never had a significant maintenance or warranty issue, so my experience is limited. dealers I have experience with provided loaners when I left the car for maintenance - this being a dealer service they advertised}

Old 11-28-2013, 08:43 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
In that case, I may be okay. This is the second MINI I've bought from this dealer and have had all maintenance on both vehicles done there. I guess I'll find out in the next few days if it's a major transmission problem (my guess is that it is) and if so, whether they'll spring for replacement transportation.

As many have said before, it's not whether you have a problem (sooner or later you will), but how the dealer handles it that matters.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:07 AM
TheMike
2nd Gear
I'm sorry corcoranwtnet that you 1) are going through this with your Mini and 2) have less than good responses by your question here.

You can't fix stupid especially when Stupid is an idiot too. These forums are for exactly why you posted. You have a question and you came to the right place. To be treated with less than respect is just plain embarrassing. So for the butt wipe response on pants, I apologize for the a$$!!

I don't normally like to respond in a thread that I don't know the answer for but in this case I'll make an exception. I feel for you on your problem. To have it happen over a holiday just makes it worse.

I fully expect it will get fixed quickly and to your satisfaction. I hope your dealership makes the unconvinced of the warranty issue as painless as possible.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Mike

Old 11-29-2013, 01:51 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Resolution of Issue

Not the transmission at all. From the service order: "found right outer CV joint broken, removed and replaced right half shaft".

I found it interesting that this wasn't a wear issue, but rather a sudden, catastrophic failure. There was no indication of a problem (clicking, etc.) until the loud grinding noise. And this on a car with only 7,100 (not 7,700) miles. It was in shop only 2 months and 300 miles earlier, for oil and brake fluid changeout, so a torn boot would have been noticed.

Dealer was apologetic about the delay in their ability to inspect the car, but explained the pre-Thanksgiving crush of business was to blame. Repaired today, courtesy car wash, all good.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
with my MINIs there was a book in the same pouch as the owner's manual

this book is the SERVICE & WARRANTY INFORMATION.

I'm gonna guess that less than 1 in 10 owners know it exists

and less than 1 in 1000 read it.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:44 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Yes, I would have read it, but unfortunately it was in the glove box when the car was towed to the dealer's lot.