R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Add a little horse power

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:08 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Even a canned tune like the AccessPort will give you seat of the pants improvement. I know that they are not supported any more, and only available new. If you want more noise from the exhaust, you may gain some HP with that, especially with an aftermarket downpipe.

How will you be using the car? Just Daily Driver, or some track, some autocross? Budget for all mods? The more info you give, the better advice that you can get. Seems like you will have some $$ in wheels and coil overs. If you go really low, you will also need rear control arms to get your alignment, and possibly adjustable sway bar links on the front (not sure).

Have fun,
Mike

Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I have to ask what a justa cooper and fJCW stands for? It's time I know what it means cause I'm seeing it a lot, so I justa go to know.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 PM
JesseA
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not planning on going to low. It is just for a little extra fun it's my daily driver. all my work friends have subaru's and just want to be able to keep with them a little
Better. I've had a go at a few of them and I know I can get my mini to have a more respectable showing.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:39 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Justa Cooper is the way that someone describes having a non-S cooper. 'Mine is Just A Cooper'.

fJCW is Factory JCW. Before 2009 the JCW was a dealer installed kit.

Mike

Old 12-02-2013, 05:01 PM
elsenordave
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
Justa Cooper is the way that someone describes having a non-S cooper. 'Mine is Just A Cooper'. fJCW is Factory JCW. Before 2009 the JCW was a dealer installed kit. Mike
Lol why would anyone justacooper

Old 12-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Justa Cooper is the way that someone describes having a non-S cooper. 'Mine is Just A Cooper'. fJCW is Factory JCW. Before 2009 the JCW was a dealer installed kit. Mike
I didn't know the f stood for factory. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Justa Cooper is the way that someone describes having a non-S cooper. 'Mine is Just A Cooper'.

fJCW is Factory JCW. Before 2009 the JCW was a dealer installed kit.

Mike
I don't understand why after all this time I didn't catch it, then again I didn't know that Mini started offering the JCW model after 2009. I have no excuse for not figuring out just cooper.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:03 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
I installed an intake system on my car and was disappointed. For all the noise it made, which didn't sound that great - sounded like a nasty boost leak - I didn't feel any difference, or register any decrease in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I took that thing off and sent it back to ALTA.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 AM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChiliRedR56raleigh
I installed an intake system on my car and was disappointed. For all the noise it made, which didn't sound that great - sounded like a nasty boost leak - I didn't feel any difference, or register any decrease in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I took that thing off and sent it back to ALTA.
I was just about to pull the trigger on this. Wheew. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 AM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
You ought to try a JB+. Adds up to 20whp/30wtq

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by howzuh
I was just about to pull the trigger on this. Wheew. Thanks!
No problem. I'm glad I could help. I was so disappointed with that product. It was a bitc* to install too. I've installed k&n products on other cars I've owned, and they were just like the instructions said. The ALTA intake, well it took about 4 hours to install, because the fresh air feed line doesn't line up correctly with their plumbing, and the mount that the filter and intake line feed into is the flimsiest thing I've ever seen. The whole thing shook violently when the motor was running, and after consulting with ALTA, they said that if you don't line it up exactly right, that happens. Well I spent another two to three hours "realigning" it and it still shook, didn't fit right on the car, and was pushing so hard on the fresh air feed line, and the piping that feeds the turbo. It was a huge waste of money. I had to pay 26 bucks for shipping each way, which they didn't refund, eventhough they have a "satisfaction guarantee".

Old 12-03-2013, 06:52 AM
howzuh
3rd Gear
No problem. I'm glad I could help. I was so disappointed with that product. It was a bitc* to install too. I've installed k&n products on other cars I've owned, and they were just like the instructions said. The ALTA intake, well it took about 4 hours to install, because the fresh air feed line doesn't line up correctly with their plumbing, and the mount that the filter and intake line feed into is the flimsiest thing I've ever seen. The whole thing shook violently when the motor was running, and after consulting with ALTA, they said that if you don't line it up exactly right, that happens. Well I spent another two to three hours "realigning" it and it still shook, didn't fit right on the car, and was pushing so hard on the fresh air feed line, and the piping that feeds the turbo. It was a huge waste of money. I had to pay 26 bucks for shipping each way, which they didn't refund, eventhough they have a "satisfaction guarantee".
Lesson learned I guess.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:55 AM
elsenordave
4th Gear
My AEM intake is in the mail so I will post a review presently.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Don't be surprised if you don't feel any difference. I've pretty much been told by my mechanic friends that these intake systems are a scam. The difference in power is unnoticeable to most, unless you're the kind of person who gets easily fooled by a placebo effect, and most of these systems actually make the car feel slower because the lower end power is lost. I wouldn't put up with the noise these systems makes, especially on the mini. I've driven lots of turbocharged cars with intake systems, and they don't sound like they have boost leaks, but the intake systems for the mini sound like the car is about to croak. Also be careful of the oiled filters.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:17 PM
cranker625
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also had the same problem as ChiliRedR56raleigh.

I dealt with PERRIN (ALTA) when I had my WRX, and they made decent parts, so I thought ALTA couldn't be that bad. Boy was I wrong.

The installation of the intake, which usually takes 20 minutes, ended up taking 4+ hours. Mainly because of how the plumbing lines up. Also, the silicone hoses do NOT fit the clamp rings provided. Nor do they fit the bracket that holds up the intake filter. The parts were millimeters in difference. Close, but just not quite.

It's still in the car right now, sounds like it should, and probably gained an itty-bitty bit of power with my tune, but I am definitely going AEM next time, or at the very least K&N. I would gladly spend the extra $50 to get 4+ hours of my life back.

Honestly guys, installing an intake should NOT require surgical precision.

Rant aside, getting power will require the following:

- Making sure that the intake gets outside air, not just from the OEM fresh air feed pipe.
- Open up exhaust pathway from the Downpipe all the way back. Remove 2nd cat if possible. Or go with a system that comes with a high performance cat.
- Tune it! really tune it, JB+, accessport, Evolve-R, whatever, just tune it.

Bonus mods:

- Lower engine mount. Cheap mod, easy to install, instant difference in power delivery. Engine and transmission no longer bounce around like a bull in a rodeo.
- Intercooler muffler delete. Could be dirt cheap ($10) or way too expensive ($150), depending on your taste. Won't grant you magical horsepower, but further removes other baffles and restrictions along the air way.

Good luck :D

Old 12-03-2013, 01:52 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't be surprised if you don't feel any difference. I've pretty much been told by my mechanic friends that these intake systems are a scam. The difference in power is unnoticeable to most, unless you're the kind of person who gets easily fooled by a placebo effect, and most of these systems actually make the car feel slower because the lower end power is lost. I wouldn't put up with the noise these systems makes, especially on the mini. I've driven lots of turbocharged cars with intake systems, and they don't sound like they have boost leaks, but the intake systems for the mini sound like the car is about to croak. Also be careful of the oiled filters.
+1 that's why I sold the DDM intake I had. A K&N panel filter performs really good for me.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:58 PM
StrikeZ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Climberdave
Cold air only works when the car is in motion - obviously you get little difference on a stationary platform - not getting cold air. I saw something a NASCAR Test garage and they showed how air temp gave big differences in HP and how air flow impacted HP. Thy also had a special air feed and said it simulates airflow.

Last edited by StrikeZ; 12-03-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
You took the words right out of my mouth! I lost tons of bottom end with the AEM CAI, I'm not knocking AEM because the do make really good CAI's for other very popular cars. I believe that the Mini Cooper S works best with high velocity airflow instead of a larger volume of airflow moving slower.

I just pulled the trigger on a Borla S-Type Exhaust System (#140517 & not #140261), the newer updated one.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:41 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
You took the words right out of my mouth! I lost tons of bottom end with the AEM CAI, I'm not knocking AEM because the do make really good CAI's for other very popular cars. I believe that the Mini Cooper S works best with high velocity airflow instead of a larger volume of airflow moving slower. I just pulled the trigger on a Borla S-Type Exhaust System (#140517 & not #140261), the newer updated one.
I'm glad you agree with me. I was so bummed when I installed my alta intake, and it sounded like a hair dryer was running. And, the lack of a noticeable increase in power pissed me off. I was so mad those first few days. I think it should be illegal for these manufacturers to boast these "incredible gains" when in reality, the car feels "incredibly" slower. Lol. I've been debating if I was going to buy another exhaust system for the car. The pipe is already cut, so it would be an easy install. I'm thinking the JB+ will make a good purchase. Everyone is raving over those things. I'm glad it seems like it actually does something.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I'm glad you agree with me. I was so bummed when I installed my alta intake, and it sounded like a hair dryer was running. And, the lack of a noticeable increase in power pissed me off. I was so mad those first few days. I think it should be illegal for these manufacturers to boast these "incredible gains" when in reality, the car feels "incredibly" slower. Lol. I've been debating if I was going to buy another exhaust system for the car. The pipe is already cut, so it would be an easy install. I'm thinking the JB+ will make a good purchase. Everyone is raving over those things. I'm glad it seems like it actually does something.
My brother told me yesterday that people interested in go fast products need to block-out what the manufacturer is claiming and instead go listen to what the receiving end is saying! That sounds like perfect logic to me since it works, here I am confirming with others what I already know.

Even if there was no performance increase by going with the Borla S-Type Exhaust system, I would have bought it just for the sound alone! I also have heard nothing but excellent things about JB+, probably the best bang for your buck period! I just wish it worked on the N14 motor!

Old 12-03-2013, 04:26 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
My brother told me yesterday that people interested in go fast products need to block-out what the manufacturer is claiming and instead go listen to what the receiving end is saying! That sounds like perfect logic to me since it works, here I am confirming with others what I already know. Even if there was no performance increase by going with the Borla S-Type Exhaust system, I would have bought it just for the sound alone! I also have heard nothing but excellent things about JB+, probably the best bang for your buck period! I just wish it worked on the N14 motor!
You are lucky though that you can have your N14 tuned through the OBD port. Us with the n18 are stuck with the possibility of the Dealer finding out our ECU has been removed, thus voiding the warranty. I will say though, the N18 with its "better reliability" when it comes to the timing chain bs, is the only reason I went with an 11 over a 2010 JCW. They were the same price, but the JCW was apart of those recalls and I thought with my luck, I would leave that alone and get the MCS. To be honest, I know the JCW is supposed to be faster, I really couldn't tell a huge difference between the two cars. I saw where a MCS hatch automatic was able to go from 0-60 in 6 flat according to C&D I believe. The time for the JCW wasn't any better. Yesterday, I found my first major (at least to me) mechanical problem. The engine had been leaking out oil from the back of the oil pan solenoid. I knew that the oil had probably seeped up the wiring harness and into the DME. Thankfully, it didn't get into the DMe according to the dealer. I'm hoping they are being truthful.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are lucky though that you can have your N14 tuned through the OBD port. Us with the n18 are stuck with the possibility of the Dealer finding out our ECU has been removed, thus voiding the warranty. I will say though, the N18 with its "better reliability" when it comes to the timing chain bs, is the only reason I went with an 11 over a 2010 JCW. They were the same price, but the JCW was apart of those recalls and I thought with my luck, I would leave that alone and get the MCS. To be honest, I know the JCW is supposed to be faster, I really couldn't tell a huge difference between the two cars. I saw where a MCS hatch automatic was able to go from 0-60 in 6 flat according to C&D I believe. The time for the JCW wasn't any better. Yesterday, I found my first major (at least to me) mechanical problem. The engine had been leaking out oil from the back of the oil pan solenoid. I knew that the oil had probably seeped up the wiring harness and into the DME. Thankfully, it didn't get into the DMe according to the dealer. I'm hoping they are being truthful.
a JCW passed me up today. We were going the speed limit, he saw I was in an S R55 (basically stock) and passed me up. Then we were both going a LITTLE over the limit. He was pulling away, but I downshifted to 5th and he couldn't edge away. Kept behind him about 4 car lengths for 15 miles. He exited before me and as I passed him up I got some respect via him flashing his brights a few times. Nice coMINIty (community) there! hehe.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 PM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
+1 that's why I sold the DDM intake I had. A K&N panel filter performs really good for me.
Yep. I just installed the K&N panel filter and that's it.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cranker625
I also had the same problem as ChiliRedR56raleigh.

I dealt with PERRIN (ALTA) when I had my WRX, and they made decent parts, so I thought ALTA couldn't be that bad. Boy was I wrong.

The installation of the intake, which usually takes 20 minutes, ended up taking 4+ hours. Mainly because of how the plumbing lines up. Also, the silicone hoses do NOT fit the clamp rings provided. Nor do they fit the bracket that holds up the intake filter. The parts were millimeters in difference. Close, but just not quite.

It's still in the car right now, sounds like it should, and probably gained an itty-bitty bit of power with my tune, but I am definitely going AEM next time, or at the very least K&N. I would gladly spend the extra $50 to get 4+ hours of my life back.

Honestly guys, installing an intake should NOT require surgical precision.

Rant aside, getting power will require the following:

- Making sure that the intake gets outside air, not just from the OEM fresh air feed pipe.
- Open up exhaust pathway from the Downpipe all the way back. Remove 2nd cat if possible. Or go with a system that comes with a high performance cat.
- Tune it! really tune it, JB+, accessport, Evolve-R, whatever, just tune it.

Bonus mods:

- Lower engine mount. Cheap mod, easy to install, instant difference in power delivery. Engine and transmission no longer bounce around like a bull in a rodeo.

- Intercooler muffler delete. Could be dirt cheap ($10) or way too expensive ($150), depending on your taste. Won't grant you magical horsepower, but further removes other baffles and restrictions along the air way.

Good luck :D
About that lower engine mount, will an upgraded engine mount cause any rattling noise or vibration in the cabin? I have good reason to believe that the top of my stock CAI is hitting the harder plastic parts that make up the lines coming from the wiper sprayer on the underside of my hood. my ex-AEM airbox had very similar markings.

Attached Thumbnails Add a little horse power-img_0851.jpg   Add a little horse power-img_0855.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 02:45 AM
StrikeZ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by howzuh
Yep. I just installed the K&N panel filter and that's it.
That is the extent of my upgrades too!

Quick Reply: R56 Add a little horse power