R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Add a little horse power

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:37 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcameron
well not quite.... automakers often sacrifice performance for comfort/ cost/ emissions/ ect......you cant automatically assume that just because the consumer auto industry designs the cars the way they do, that they are automatically the best they can be. regarding CAIs......from my experience, with a more freer flowing system, you DO loose some low end torque...and you do gain some top end HP. i know in my car, i have a CAI and a larger exhaust.....i have noticed that my 'power band' has seemed to shift up ~700 RPM in the RPM range, which for me is fine, because i do mostly highway driving and spend most of my time above 3K, so the loss of low end torque isnt vital to me. so are CAI good or bad? well thats really depends on what you are looking for, and how you drive your car.......just because they dont do what people think they are going to do doesnt make them 'bad'....its just not what they need.
I know they don't look at performance as the number one priority, but if the engine is breathing better, that equated to better fuel economy. If the open cone filters were truly the most efficient way To go, automakers would've figured out a way to incorporate that design while keeping NVH down. I do a lot of highway driving myself, but I'm telling you that the gain you get (which has been tested over and over to be less than 1%) at high end is nowhere near the gains quoted on most manufacturers websites, especially if you are looking for all around power. You also have to think about the fact that most of those oiled filters could potentially be a reason MINI and other car manufacturers blame something going wrong with your engines performance. Unless the super loud sucking noise is your goal, you'd be better off with just about any mod. I'm all for a high flow filter, just not the open cone filters that most companies are selling for our cars. I haven't seen a truly revolutionary product that is making a true 10-15 whp as claimed by several companies. I had an intake on my Civic Si (09 coupe) and it made a very small gain, but it was getting fresh cold air from the wheel well, and there was a ram air effect with how it was set up. Still, the gain was in the 3% range.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by coffan
If it is then great
It is covered for that long, but unless you know it's that for sure, they may try to slap you with a diagnostic fee which could be however long it takes them to "find the problem". In reality you should only have to pay for the 25 seconds it takes them to hook it up to their diagnostic computer, but you know they will charge you for the time it takes the computer to read the car. They will also probably try to tell you about a software update and other jazz just to try to empty your wallet. Safest bet is to go to autozone or a place that will read your OBD2 port for free.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:41 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Isn't the HPFP covered for 10years or 120K miles?
I know the N14 engine is covered with that warranty, but I don't know about the N18's fuel pump. Do you know?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 PM
elsenordave
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliRedR56raleigh
Sorry, you posted on a forum where people share their honest opinions, and don't just tell you BS to make you feel good about your purchase. Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

FYI my mini has air ducted in from two sources...just like my xb did before it...

I don't need yours or others BS to make me feel better about my purchase either...

#truestorybro

Old 12-19-2013, 09:20 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by elsenordave
FYI my mini has air ducted in from two sources...just like my xb did before it... I don't need yours or others BS to make me feel better about my purchase either... #truestorybro
I didn't give you any BS, and neither did anyone else. Not sure what year your car is, but current gen cars have one fresh air intake feed line to the airbox, or aftermarket filter. When you say xb, I hope you aren't referring to a scion xb. If so, I can see why you upgraded to a better looking and driving car. Btw, this isn't twitter, so your "hashtags" are kinda pointless.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 PM
elsenordave
4th Gear
I didn't give you any BS, and neither did anyone else. Not sure what year your car is, but current gen cars have one fresh air intake feed line to the airbox, or aftermarket filter. When you say xb, I hope you aren't referring to a scion xb. If so, I can see why you upgraded to a better looking and driving car. Btw, this isn't twitter, so your "hashtags" are kinda pointless.

You were however bagging on my mod...your string of posts here and elsewhere are very judgmental...why can't you let people enjoy their whips...

I got my 07 MCS because I always wanted one and it got traded in at my dealership...not because "I wanted a better looking & driving car"...

Last edited by elsenordave; 12-19-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:46 PM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
If you'll notice, in his signature, he lists the AEM CAI. This has a duct from the hood scoop to a sealed air box in addition to the stock inlet.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:49 PM
elsenordave
4th Gear
If you'll notice, in his signature, he lists the AEM CAI. This has a duct from the hood scoop to a sealed air box in addition to the stock inlet.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
If you'll notice, signatures don't show up on the mobile app. This forum is about honest reviews of products, and our experiences with them. In my first post to him, I said I was happy he liked it, but my and many others experiences was that none of the available intakes make a difference in performance.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:05 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
You were however bagging on my mod...your string of posts here and elsewhere are very judgmental...why can't you let people enjoy their whips... I got my 07 MCS because I always wanted one and it got traded in at my dealership...not because "I wanted a better looking & driving car"...
I'm saying that a mini is a much better looking and driving car than the xb. I'm guessing that's been one of your reasons for wanting a mini is the look and performance. I'm not bagging your mod, just telling you my experience with them. I hope you do enjoy your "whip" I even said I'm glad you like your intake, but from experience, there's not any large gains to be had from intakes.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 PM
elsenordave
4th Gear
If you'll notice, signatures don't show up on the mobile app. This forum is about honest reviews of products, and our experiences with them. In my first post to him, I said I was happy he liked it, but my and many others experiences was that none of the available intakes make a difference in performance.

but from experience, there's not any large gains to be had from intakes.
But from experience,

True but the but isn't always necessary...

Old 12-19-2013, 10:07 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Basically, if I were someone contemplating buying an intake, I'd want to know not to expect the 15 horsepower so many companies claim you gain from their intake kits. That's the whole reason we have this forum is to discuss what we think about different products, our cars, etc...

Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
True but the but isn't always necessary...
It kinda is, because other people thinking about buying an intake, should be able to read honest reviews from both sides of the spectrum. The average person expecting a huge gain in power like we all know companies quote, will be thoroughly disappointed that they spent hundreds of dollars for something most people won't think is worth the money spent. That's what makes these forums fun and informative, because there's always two sides to a coin, and here we can talk about how we feel about a product, whether it's the same way we feel or not.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:22 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Clearly, the majority of the posters in this thread said the same thing I said about not getting gains from CAI's. I know you think it is worth the money, and I'm sorry it makes you mad whenever anyone says anything negative about it, but that's going to happen. Just learn from what all these people are saying. Down the road on your next car, you'll have lots more knowledge if what is worth spending money on to get you the gains you want.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:36 PM
elsenordave
4th Gear
Just learn from what all these people are saying. Down the road on your next car, you'll have lots more knowledge if what is worth spending money on to get you the gains you want.

And there u go again...

Old 12-19-2013, 10:47 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
And there u go again...
Dude, I'm not trying to be an ***, but seriously, you had annoyed me before you started complaining about what i wrote to you, from what you had said to the other people that were honest with you. since I've just explained to you that you should get over that not many people think your mod is worth two cents, let alone hundreds of dollars, there's no need to say, "there you go again". I keep having to write more to you because you seem to be having a hard time understanding that it's not harsh for people to speak their mind about a product you own. You are getting too butthurt that people don't agree with you about the gains that don't exist. No one is out to get you on this forum, we all just speak out with what we think, without worrying about hurting someone's feelings that may own that certain thing.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:03 PM
vetsvette
Sorry about that ChiliRed. I didn't notice you were using the mobile app. My mistake.

I agree with you on a lot of things. Hell, if I realized the touted gains for some of the aftermarket parts I put on my Vette I would have been seeing a 100HP increase before I even started on the internals. I knew it was BS and wrote it off as advertising hype.

I also have the AEM CAI. I didn't buy it thinking I would see large or even moderate HP gains, but I know there is a possibility that it will be an advantage down the road as I add more mods and a tune. It's not my first CAI either. I have a ram air system installed on my Vette and with the other mods It is a definite plus. I also have a K&N induction system on my 2500HD Suburban. The stock air box worked fine, but it was restrictive because of the baffling designed into it to cut down on intake noise. Who wants a noisy Galactic Cruiser? After adding an exhaust system and a custom tune it gets a couple of MPG improvement and more power. Haven't dyno'd it, but it made a big difference when pulling a 30' boat. I am and always have been a firm believer that the better an engine can breath, the better performance you can get with a good tune. Admittedly, I'm a little more comfortable with pre-computerized engines, but that's mostly because I'm just old. YMMV.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:09 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Sorry about that ChiliRed. I didn't notice you were using the mobile app. My mistake. I agree with you on a lot of things. Hell, if I realized the touted gains for some of the aftermarket parts I put on my Vette I would have been seeing a 100HP increase before I even started on the internals. I knew it was BS and wrote it off as advertising hype. I also have the AEM CAI. I didn't buy it thinking I would see large or even moderate HP gains, but I know there is a possibility that it will be an advantage down the road as I add more mods and a tune. It's not my first CAI either. I have a ram air system installed on my Vette and with the other mods It is a definite plus. I also have a K&N induction system on my 2500HD Suburban. The stock air box worked fine, but it was restrictive because of the baffling designed into it to cut down on intake noise. Who wants a noisy Galactic Cruiser? After adding an exhaust system and a custom tune it gets a couple of MPG improvement and more power. Haven't dyno'd it, but it made a big difference when pulling a 30' boat. I am and always have been a firm believer that the better an engine can breath, the better performance you can get with a good tune. Admittedly, I'm a little more comfortable with pre-computerized engines, but that's mostly because I'm just old. YMMV.
Lol. I thought my car sounded like a broken vacuum cleaner after putting on the alta intake. I had several other issues though that were more serious like the way it fit the cars piping, and it's mounting to the intake manifold wasn't right. It shook and vibrated badly, so I sent it back. After buying it though, I reached out to my buddies at BMW and they basically laughed at me for buying into the whole intake thing. I thought the gains were too good to be true, but I was like what the hell, let's try this out, and I hated it. I lost power, had a vacuum for a motor, and the intake rattled which pissed me off. I'll never again buy an intake. Maybe a high flow filter, but even then I don't know how many more L/Minute of air they would allow the engine to breathe. I'm a strong believer in the stock plumbing being the best layout for our cars. It makes sense if you think that BMW spent tons of money just designing the intake piping to have the proper frequency waves for the air to flow optimally through the engine and turbo. So where in SOVA are you?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:26 PM
vetsvette
Alton, about 10 miles east of VIR. You must either work nights or are retired like me? Gets kinda quiet on the forum after midnight.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:48 AM
coffan
2nd Gear
You can take it the autozone or any place and they will scan it for free and tell you what the code is, if there is one. That way you don't have to worry about paying for it, if there isn't anything there.

Autozone can't help when there's no cel

Old 12-20-2013, 02:55 AM
coffan
2nd Gear

It is covered for that long, but unless you know it's that for sure, they may try to slap you with a diagnostic fee which could be however long it takes them to "find the problem". In reality you should only have to pay for the 25 seconds it takes them to hook it up to their diagnostic computer, but you know they will charge you for the time it takes the computer to read the car. They will also probably try to tell you about a software update and other jazz just to try to empty your wallet. Safest bet is to go to autozone or a place that will read your OBD2 port for free.

Yeah they do try to do that however I kinda sorta know the service manager and I get free diagnostics, so ill still take it in. Theres no cel so that might lead to some trouble finding what's wrong, but what do I know I'm no tech I just know alittle basic things

Last edited by coffan; 12-20-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:36 AM
StrikeZ
2nd Gear
Lol. I thought my car sounded like a broken vacuum cleaner after putting on the alta intake. I had several other issues though that were more serious like the way it fit the cars piping, and it's mounting to the intake manifold wasn't right. It shook and vibrated badly, so I sent it back. After buying it though, I reached out to my buddies at BMW and they basically laughed at me for buying into the whole intake thing. I thought the gains were too good to be true, but I was like what the hell, let's try this out, and I hated it. I lost power, had a vacuum for a motor, and the intake rattled which pissed me off. I'll never again buy an intake. Maybe a high flow filter, but even then I don't know how many more L/Minute of air they would allow the engine to breathe. I'm a strong believer in the stock plumbing being the best layout for our cars. It makes sense if you think that BMW spent tons of money just designing the intake piping to have the proper frequency waves for the air to flow optimally through the engine and turbo. So where in SOVA are you? Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
If you tried to add a CAI to a turbo, than you would not see any gains. The gains are seen on naturally aspirated cars.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:32 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by StrikeZ
If you tried to add a CAI to a turbo, than you would not see any gains. The gains are seen on naturally aspirated cars.
So why isn't a CAI best for every car like you said yesterday?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:34 AM
vetsvette
Here we go. Let's get this wound up again.
I gonna have to bow out though. On the way out the door to pick up Grandson from school and it looks like a sunroof open/windows down kind of day.
Y'all have a good day.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:34 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Alton, about 10 miles east of VIR. You must either work nights or are retired like me? Gets kinda quiet on the forum after midnight.
No I just happen to be young and I'm a night owl. Mornings aren't my friend, but I usually make it up around 6-8AM. I wish I was retired. I'm on the opposite end of that spectrum. I've got a long time to go before I can retire.

Quick Reply: R56 Add a little horse power