R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Add a little horse power

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 11:00 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiliRedR56raleigh
I'm not trying to make the car x-seconds faster around a course. A little extra power just makes the car more fun to drive on the roads I travel on a daily basis. Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
+1.

I did the mods to my car to enjoy to my liking. Not to create a "powerful machine". Yes there's some folks on here who are all about power but that's a small percentage(less than 10%).

Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But a very vocal 10%. Make the car what you want.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:43 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It may be they're vocal and complain when their car goes haywire, but none of us have to listen to them. And imagine that all these folks who own a MINI aren't even on this forum! So maybe a little more than 10%;-).

This thread was specifically made to ask what this person can do to add some HP. So we are trying to give him some help. Then everyone is coming in here acting like it's a sin to add more HP to the OP's car.

What irritates me the most is those that need to just post something on a thread like this for example, "looking to add horsepower.", then ten minutes later, "I don't need extra HP, my car is just perfect for me."....

No one freaking cares that your car is suitable for you with no drivetrain mods. The OP asked what he can do to his car to enjoy it to his/her liking.

Sorry for the rant but I wish those folks would go away.

But again, it's all about the: intercooler, catless DP, and tune. That'll give anyone the maximum gains without other boltons or swapping pistons and so on.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:51 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean

But again, it's all about the: intercooler, catless DP, and tune. That'll give anyone the maximum gains without other boltons or swapping pistons and so on.
+1 and if you are savvy, you can pick up a used intercooler, AP, and a catless dp for under a grand. That's very cheap for the power you will get.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:19 AM
coffan
2nd Gear

You can monitor fuel pump pressure. That's how you could tell if it's the fuel pump.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
Turns out it was the maf sensor. They did a smoke test without my permission to do so and now they're trying to get me for $900 and some change.

Last edited by coffan; 12-23-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:28 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by coffan
Turns out it was the maf sensor. They did a smoke test without my permission to do so and now they're trying to get me for $900 and some change.
Bahaha. I hoped you laughed in their face. 900 bucks is crazy.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:33 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
I just don't get why some people are even on this thread. if you don't want to learn about options for increasing power? Yes, the average person with a MINI probably never drives the **** out of it, but those of us who do that on a daily basis do want a little more power. It just makes the car better all around. If you don't care about power, get a Justa. Why even have a MINI if you don't drive it hard? John Cooper built his name on making the originals faster, so we are following in his footsteps of making the car a better all around ride. Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 12-23-2013, 12:50 PM
coffan
2nd Gear

Bahaha. I hoped you laughed in their face. 900 bucks is crazy.

Oh I did ill give them the $130 diagnostics fee but ill buy the part off rockauto form bosh oem for $170 and do it my self l.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:01 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by coffan
Oh I did ill give them the $130 diagnostics fee but ill buy the part off rockauto form bosh oem for $170 and do it my self l.
Yeah, even the 130 seems a little high. How do you know they did the smoke test? They should be able to see MAF problems on their reader.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:13 PM
coffan
2nd Gear

Yeah, even the 130 seems a little high. How do you know they did the smoke test? They should be able to see MAF problems on their reader.

They said the tech did a smoke test and nothing showed leaks, but he was getting non existing air errors or something along those lines but that he pin pointed it to the maf. They swapped on a different maf and it ran fine for them but that doesn't mean they ran it like I did when I experienced the problem. So I'm not 100% they're right about the maf.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:33 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Do you have a local mini club? This is something I could see a club helping with. You could duplicate their test with another's maf.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:41 PM
coffan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nine5raptor
Do you have a local mini club? This is something I could see a club helping with. You could duplicate their test with another's maf.
Kinda sorta

Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Someone needs to lay off the redbull late night drinks.....lol

I'm new to mini but not new to making power. I think if your adding under hood high temp air with open filter vs fresh air from outside your heading down the wrong road. Does anyone really offer a good means of "ram air" or " cold air induction"...... no IMO...
I don't know why someone has not come up with a hood that offers this. Old school cowl, hood scoop ( like WRX ) etc....

Like i said im not sure how the mini ECU works but from my mustang (OBD1) days..... there is a learning curve for the ECU... you change something it changes to fix it back into paramaters .... so
does changing exhaust get corrected by the ECU...., does changing the air filter, intake etc get corrected by the EUC....

Everyone says the best mod is a tune... is this because they take the factory learn curve out ?? or does this mean they throw more boost at it and pushing your motor harder..?? I hope to find out in the next year of playing with my new ( 07 ) mini... but i know this....

I WILL HAVE FUN PLAYING AND TRYING... TRYING THIS AND THAT...
yes i might have a few parts left over that i shouldn't have bought...oh well..!!

I see people with postings of 245 HP.... i see their graph... the car looks like it might be fun to drive if you short shift the hell out of it and your done after 90 MPH with the high TQ falling off after 3k and the HP not to impressive.... what gives ??

anyway.... just thought i would say HEY and nice to meet all you wonderful nice people and look forward to learning all about it...

Old 01-20-2014, 09:50 PM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
Does anyone really offer a good means of "ram air" or " cold air induction"...... no IMO...
I don't know why someone has not come up with a hood that offers this. Old school cowl, hood scoop ( like WRX ) etc....
AEM Cold Air Induction.

Attached Thumbnails Add a little horse power-aem_r56_intake_md.gif  
Old 01-21-2014, 01:13 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
Someone needs to lay off the redbull late night drinks.....lol

I'm new to mini but not new to making power. I think if your adding under hood high temp air with open filter vs fresh air from outside your heading down the wrong road. Does anyone really offer a good means of "ram air" or " cold air induction"...... no IMO...

Like i said im not sure how the mini ECU works but from my mustang (OBD1) days..... there is a learning curve for the ECU... you change something it changes to fix it back into paramaters .... so
does changing exhaust get corrected by the ECU...., does changing the air filter, intake etc get corrected by the EUC....

Everyone says the best mod is a tune... is this because they take the factory learn curve out ?? or does this mean they throw more boost at it and pushing your motor harder..?? I hope to find out in the next year of playing with my new ( 07 ) mini... but i know this....

I WILL HAVE FUN PLAYING AND TRYING... TRYING THIS AND THAT...
yes i might have a few parts left over that i shouldn't have bought...oh well..!!

I see people with postings of 245 HP.... i see their graph... the car looks like it might be fun to drive if you short shift the hell out of it and your done after 90 MPH with the high TQ falling off after 3k and the HP not to impressive.... what gives ??

anyway.... just thought i would say HEY and nice to meet all you wonderful nice people and look forward to learning all about it...

The ECU's these days don't change much when you install a good quality exhaust or intake, you might get a little extra power but nothing earth shattering. Tuning is the only real way to add worthwhile horsepower and torque! I'll tell you from personal experience that after installing my AEM hood scoop intake system I lost a lot of bottom end torque. The ECU was programed from the factory to work with what comes stock, most mods don't do anything drastic. The mods that I purchased there's one that stand out from the rest, the Forge BOV! It doesn't add HP or TQ, you lose very little boost between shifts so when you're back on the throttle it's making boost without the delay.

Last edited by Systemlord; 01-21-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 AM
vetsvette
So, which Forge BOV did you end up going with? I've got the FM207V.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He speaks the truth all my bolt on added nothing to my 0-100(I used a VBOX to check any improvements, but was still hitting claimed numbers)only after tuning will you gain anything. People claiming seat of the pants dyno's ain't worth sh#t, with decat/hi-flow cat the car idles 100 rpm lower and might sound better but tuning is were it's at.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 AM
vetsvette
Scubby, how do you like that catted DP? Did it give you a CEL? I have their exhaust and am considering the DP. After I finish all the bolt-ons I plan to get a tune.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
So, which Forge BOV did you end up going with? I've got the FM207V.
I bought the recirculating valve (FM207V) instead of the (FMDVR56A) one that vents to atmosphere, I can always buy the adapter later if I want the whoosh. Any DP that's not the factory DP will give you a cell, doesn't matter which brand. When you get a tune, the tuner can fix it to where you don't get a cell.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Scubby, how do you like that catted DP? Did it give you a CEL? I have their exhaust and am considering the DP. After I finish all the bolt-ons I plan to get a tune.
Yes I got a CEL, cleared it for 3 months using torque app before I got my tune now all good car sounds better with it louder with a deeper toned idle but not obnoxious, now idles 100rpm lower(less back pressure). CNT do appear to make decent quality downpipes from what I've experienced, have had no issues running it for approx 6 months. Obviously exhaust does smell more when you start from cold but soon goes away once warmed up and with a tune the car seems to run less rich so that helps as well.