R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Please Help! I am at a loss...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 AM
myR56S
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please Help! I am at a loss...

Good afternoon NAM,

In the last couple thousand miles I have had drivability matter that only occurs when I am driving the car hard. Under full acceleration say from 2 or 3k RPM’s (in any gear after 1st) the car will sputter (accompanied with popping from exhaust) and have losses of power. I was told this could have been from lack of carbon cleaning or the HPFP. I did the cleaning and the hesitation continued. I received paperwork for the timing chain campaign and had that performed. The dealer said my car was out of time due to a stretched chain. Once back in time the car drove great! Then not but a couple days after the hesitation started again. The dealer never got to experience this problem (naturally). It now seems to be worse when the car was cold but seem to accelerate normally when at normal operating temp.

I let my car warm up at least 7 minutes or so every morning. During my drive this morning I had the cruise set and I notice what felt like a little bit of constant hesitation. As I approached a hill the hesitation worsened almost to the point I could barely make it up the hill. Once to the top of the hill I put the car into neutral and I coasted to a side street where I stopped and allowed it to idle. It felt like the car was running on 3 cylinders. The CEL was illuminated and two code popped up: P2775 and P2781 – Upshift Switch Circuit Range/Performance and Downshift Switch Circuit High respectively.

While my initial thought was the HPFP for sure these two codes threw me for a 180. Any thoughts? Could the HPFP be causing the two codes? Any and all help is very welcomed, thank you in advance.