R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mods on an automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 PM
CamH
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods on an automatic?

I recently inherited a very nice 2007 Mini Cooper S, with an automatic transmission. Currently the only mod is a sprint booster.

I feel like the car could use some more power, but am unsure how far I can go with the automatic and am looking for some advice. Should I not do some mods because of having the automatic?

Here are what I'd like to do (and I'm unsure of which model of each part): intake, intercooler, hard pipes, tune, turbo back exhaust.

I've seen that there are some transmission cooler kits offered. Should I install one of those? Are there any shift kits available? I understand that the automatic will probably wear out faster than a manual transmission, but I would like it to at least last another 50k miles before needing rebuild if that's possible.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:25 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can do with an automatic nearly everything you'd do with a manual. You won't need a short shift kit. ; ) And aside from that, I can't think of anything you can't do. I think most people though will look at handling upgrade first though. Shocks, lowering springs and larger rear sway bar. It really depends on where you want to spend your money, and it can take plenty!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:32 PM
CamH
Neutral
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
You can do with an automatic nearly everything you'd do with a manual. You won't need a short shift kit. ; ) And aside from that, I can't think of anything you can't do. I think most people though will look at handling upgrade first though. Shocks, lowering springs and larger rear sway bar. It really depends on where you want to spend your money, and it can take plenty!
Is the car in your sig an automatic? It's held up fine with no signs of slippage? Have you installed a transmission cooler?

Also, I do plan on doing handling+braking mods, I just figured I wouldn't list those as they don't have anything to do with the strain on the transmission. I'm planning on Koni Yellows and a set of Azenis RT-615K tires and some nice Hawk brake pads. I'm not sure that I feel that it needs a sway bar upgrade for street use.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CamH
Is the car in your sig an automatic? It's held up fine with no signs of slippage? Have you installed a transmission cooler?

Also, I do plan on doing handling+braking mods, I just figured I wouldn't list those as they don't have anything to do with the strain on the transmission. I'm planning on Koni Yellows and a set of Azenis RT-615K tires and some nice Hawk brake pads. I'm not sure that I feel that it needs a sway bar upgrade for street use.
Yes, mine is an automatic. It has 91K on it and I drive it like I stole it most of the time.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't think a transmission cooler would necessary. They are more for cases were the load is greater and is continuous, such as towing. Or maybe if you were going to be turning the car into a track car.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:09 PM
CamH
Neutral
Often times, transmission coolers are recommended when doing performance mods to an engine (as in the case of my Volvo V70R) so I was just making sure that that wasn't the case here.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:30 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing that wouldn't hurt is change your transmission fluid out to a synthetic type. If you haven't done already.. Synthetics hold up much better anyways. Also IMO the transmission shifts much better.. Im not even sure one could add an external cooler on these type of transmissions anyways.. So the next best thing would be a good performance grade synthetic ATF. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:39 PM
CamH
Neutral
Yes, you can install an external transmission cooler using this part: http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMD5...0-61-Cooper--S

Thanks for the tip on the synthetic, do you have experience with a particular brand in your mini?

Old 01-27-2014, 01:48 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
As above change your atf first that's what I did before flashing my auto with a stage 3 Evolve tune and have had no problems and that's with driving it hard smoking up the tyres coming out of turns and doing multiple 0-100km runs to check the progress of engine mods.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:11 PM
CamH
Neutral
Originally Posted by scubbysnacks
As above change your atf first that's what I did before flashing my auto with a stage 3 Evolve tune and have had no problems and that's with driving it hard smoking up the tyres coming out of turns and doing multiple 0-100km runs to check the progress of engine mods.

That's what I'm talking about! Love it! Good to hear that there are a few guys out there modifying their automatic Minis.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:27 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll be fine, start making your list and mod your baby:-).

Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
We've modded many Automatics without any issues. The car can handle all the bolt ons without issue. And if it makes you feel better the new MINI JCW with the Automatic uses the same trans without any mods to it and they don't break. Feel free to call us for advise or suggestions.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-27-2014, 05:25 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
I think he meant performance shift kit, not a short throw shifter mod, if that makes sense. Rebuilding the trans with 'performance' parts versus the stock parts which are more for comfort than performance.

Rear sway bar seems to be popular.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 PM
yesti
5th Gear

Also, I do plan on doing handling+braking mods, I just figured I wouldn't list those as they don't have anything to do with the strain on the transmission. I'm planning on Koni Yellows and a set of Azenis RT-615K tires and some nice Hawk brake pads.
Transmission cooler seems impossible since they are engine coolant cooled versus a radiator under the main radiator like other cars.

Shocks and tires would greatly help and it is good to have powerful brakes

Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
One thing that wouldn't hurt is change your transmission fluid out to a synthetic type. If you haven't done already.. Synthetics hold up much better anyways. Also IMO the transmission shifts much better.. Im not even sure one could add an external cooler on these type of transmissions anyways.. So the next best thing would be a good performance grade synthetic ATF. Good luck!
+1. Definitely do at least 2-3 drain/fills with synthetic fluid, especially if it's never been done. I did a 2qt drain/fill with Royal Purple at 10k miles and I think it was time/$ well spent. I plan on doing it again in another 10-15k miles.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:10 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
I did 4 drain/refills for a total of 8 litres of fresh fluid through the trans and will change 2 litres every oil change/10km to extend the life as much as possible with the power I'm running. You also have to remember the ECU limits torque in the first two gears to protect the trans and I'm guessing to avoid wheel spin.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:46 PM
mallendmd
1st Gear
Already changing transmission fluid at 10k miles? Yikes, I'm late to the game. Any pointers or threads to show me how to do this?

Old 01-27-2014, 09:16 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mallendmd
Already changing transmission fluid at 10k miles? Yikes, I'm late to the game. Any pointers or threads to show me how to do this?
If that was a reference to my post, I actually did my first change at 100,000km the car was second hand. So don't stress there after ever 10k, I take BMW life time fluid claim as meaning until warranty runs out.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:31 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mallendmd
If that was a reference to my post, see:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/91...ilter-diy.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rain-fill.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ion-fluid.html

I did mine at 10k as 'preventative' maintenance since there are no oil coolers to speak of on this motor, and the coolant temp runs high, and there is a turbocharger strapped to the front of it. In retrospect, I could've waited maybe to 15k so drain/fill 2-3 quarts of synthetic every 15-20k and you should be plenty good as the whole system is 6-7 quarts or so. I wouldn't run the factory non-synthetic past 50k so this should flush most of it out by then (3-4 drain/fills).

Last edited by yesti; 01-27-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:37 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Yes, you can install an external transmission cooler using this part: http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMD5...0-61-Cooper--S

Thanks for the tip on the synthetic, do you have experience with a particular brand in your mini?
Isn't that the factory engine coolant tap? Meaning it's not like auto tranny fluid will come out of those holes and you can send it to a radiator?

Royal purple seems to work for me

Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
Isn't that the factory engine coolant tap? Meaning it's not like auto tranny fluid will come out of those holes and you can send it to a radiator?

Royal purple seems to work for me
yesti, I was just curious when you changed your ATF at around 10k how did the fluid look to you? I think changing it early is also a good idea. I myself wouldn't use nothing but synthetic in these type of transmissions. Changing it like you do is a very good proactive way to do it..Many wait till the transmission starts to act up.. But by then its very likely damage has been done to the tranny already. There are a lot of good ATF fluids out there.. Im a amsoil junkie lol

Old 01-28-2014, 10:12 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
yesti, I was just curious when you changed your ATF at around 10k how did the fluid look to you? I think changing it early is also a good idea. I myself wouldn't use nothing but synthetic in these type of transmissions. Changing it like you do is a very good proactive way to do it..Many wait till the transmission starts to act up.. But by then its very likely damage has been done to the tranny already. There are a lot of good ATF fluids out there.. Im a amsoil junkie lol
To be honest, the fluid looked fine (as to be expected at 10k). That leads me to plan on drain/filling every ~15k miles at the earliest since it isn't the cleanest fluid change job . That being said, I did feel the (possible placebo) effect of changing out 33% of the fluid on the drive home . I've never used synthetic fluid before so I picked Royal Purple on amazon. Amsoil is great stuff too I've heard.

Last edited by yesti; 05-15-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:34 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
To be honest, the fluid looked fine (as to be expected at 10k). That leads me to plan on drain/filling every ~15k miles at the earliest since it isn't the cleanest, quickest fluid change job . That being said, I did feel the (possible placebo) effect of changing out 33% of the fluid on the drive home . I've never used synthetic fluid before so I picked Royal Purple on amazon. Amsoil is great stuff too I've heard.
Excellent.. as far as what brand I would use I would use what brand one likes.. I think there are a lot of good products out there. Royal purple being a good one as well

Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 215 Likes on 152 Posts
Lots of great fluid choices out there. Picked Royal Purple Max-ATF full synthetic that complied with the spec. Did three drain/fills 2.3 qts each at 50K miles...what a time consuming PITA. But definitely worth it. First drain looked like burnt coffee. "Life time fluid my @ss BMW." Transmission shifts beautifully and just feels tight now.

FWIW I've spoken to two different very respected tuners in Florida who have tuned R56 auto's to the 240-250 whp range with no problems.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Did three drain/fills 2.3 qts each at 50K miles...what a time consuming PITA. But definitely worth it. First drain looked like burnt coffee. "Life time fluid my @ss BMW." Transmission shifts beautifully and just feels tight now.

FWIW I've spoken to two different very respected tuners in Florida who have tuned R56 auto's to the 240-250 whp range with no problems.
I agree, the first time is slightly traumatic . If that T55 was easier to get to it would help a lot. Seems like it is slightly tilted toward the rear of the car too, just to make your day.

Thanks for the tip about the transmission capacity. Would you happen to know the torque figures on those cars?

Quick Reply: R56 Mods on an automatic?