R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Forge FMIC installed, now what??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:37 AM
StPeteMiniS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forge FMIC installed, now what??

I just got my forge front mount installed last week on my 07 mcs, dremel'd out the grill hiding it, actually took longer doing that than the entire intercooler install itself.

I have all brand new tires, brakes, got all my vacuum leaks taken care of, and a new valve cover.

Now, what do I do next is the question. Pretty much staying away from a CAI, just a preference, don't shoot me lol. Also not doing a bov, I'd get annoyed with the whoosh being too loud eventually lol. Exhaust then tune? Paint is fine, metallic astro black, no dents dings or scratches. Factory stock alloys.

Budget isn't really an issue but I'm not looking to break the bank exactly lol. I want to make a numerical hit list of sorts.

Attached Thumbnails Forge FMIC installed, now what??-forumrunner_20140129_033725.jpg  
Old 01-29-2014, 05:41 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=StPeteMiniS;3873269]Now, what do I do next is the question. Pretty much staying away from a CAI, just a preference, don't shoot me lol...QUOTE]

Bang!<=== Thats me shooting you. I would say get the exhaust for sure. Its a very satisfying mod. I love my NM exhaust. However, that being said, if money isn't an issue then get the Akrapovik. Best exhaust out there. Plus, those carbon fiber tips are drool worthy.

After I'd say, at the very least, get the JCW intake. You'll want more intake air flow before you get a tune. The intake it self doesnt really add andy discernable power, but like the intercooler it only aids the parts that do.

Once those are done, go get that tune. Lots of options there. Hard to pick. I still havent picked one myself yet actually...

Old 01-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What grizid said. Do your research on the tune. What do you want out of it? Do you want a CEL removed from DP? Etc.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:51 AM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
Not to thread jack, just trying to get a feel for how to prioritize mods: How long do the N14/N18 Turbos tend to last when boost in increased for long periods?

I would do differential (if not so equipped), then suspension, JCW intake, exhaust.
Post some pictures!

Old 01-29-2014, 06:58 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JcarrollWS6
Not to thread jack, just trying to get a feel for how to prioritize mods: How long do the N14/N18 Turbos tend to last when boost in increased for long periods?

I would do differential (if not so equipped), then suspension, JCW intake, exhaust.
Post some pictures!
You're looking at it the wrong way. It's not how long will the turbo last, but when will one have the opportunity to upgrade the turbo.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 AM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Landesman
You're looking at it the wrong way. It's not how long will the turbo last, but when will one have the opportunity to upgrade the turbo.
I hear ya. It's just the engine management woes that turn me off to the idea. It's not like it used to be!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 PM
StPeteMiniS
2nd Gear
Ideally I don't want a CEL at all lol but as long as it doesn't put me in any limp mode situation then I don't mind. I'll know if somethings wrong with the car if not.

I've got a really good buddy whose a fab guy down here in St Pete said he could make me the exhaust custom, then I'd just have to get my own muffler and he'd weld it all up.

Tune-wise I want to keep it daily and reliable. Not sure how far I can go on the tune HP and torque-wise and stay reliable and good on gas, etc.

I'm new to turbo life so a lot of this is new to me. I've got friends who want me to track it. I've got others who say just get the exhaust done, tune it then pretty it up and call it a day. But I'm sure we all know you can't just stop toying around with your ride lol.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:19 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by StPeteMiniS
I just got my forge front mount installed last week on my 07 mcs, dremel'd out the grill hiding it, actually took longer doing that than the entire intercooler install itself.

I have all brand new tires, brakes, got all my vacuum leaks taken care of, and a new valve cover.

Now, what do I do next is the question. Pretty much staying away from a CAI, just a preference, don't shoot me lol. Also not doing a bov, I'd get annoyed with the whoosh being too loud eventually lol. Exhaust then tune? Paint is fine, metallic astro black, no dents dings or scratches. Factory stock alloys.

Budget isn't really an issue but I'm not looking to break the bank exactly lol. I want to make a numerical hit list of sorts.
I say skip everything and get a tune. Intake/exhaust just make noise unless you're going past 250hp (edit: and by that point you're swapping turbos). Maybe some koni FSB if you're doing suspension and a rear sway bar. Everything else is just bling.

Edit: and a drop in dry performance air filter.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 PM
Ta87
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Pete Florida? I lived in Tampa for 9 years before I moved up to Pasco. I'm stationed in the coldest state in America now. Hahaha

I'm going to try the custom exhaust route as well. They all have negligible gains so I'd like to experiment.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Akrapovic Downpipe for sure. That will net you some nice gains and sound.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 PM
StPeteMiniS
2nd Gear
I've heard nothing but great things about it, but $780 for a downpipe might be a bit to wait on doing lol

Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 PM
StPeteMiniS
2nd Gear
I'm thinking Evolve DCat DP and the CNT catback. Should all bolt right up easy and I'd like to stay 2.5" so I think it'll work and sound just fine.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I'd do a set of lowering springs with koni yellows.

Any of the stage1/stage2 tuning options like DNA, Evolve will give good reliable performance as long as you are starting with a healthy engine.