R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Will Not Start - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:20 PM
tim oneill
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Will Not Start - Need advice

Eight weeks ago, my 2007 R56 would not restart after driving three blocks to a gas station. Mini recommended High Pressure Fuel pump recall but it did not cure the problem. Mini removed intake (little carbon found) and reassembled. It started right up without any error codes.

Two weeks later pulled out of parking lot and felt like 1/10th of power and would not take fuel. Would not restart but after an hour would rev to 1K for five sec then a relay under the passenger footwell would click and engine would die.

Six weeks in a local certified BMW mechanics garage, where the DME and Crank shaft sensor were replaced with no change. Now believe it to be a wiring issue.

Question: Does ANYONE know of any wiring issues on the 2007 R56? I read about Gen I (2003) had wire harness issues crimp/shorting through the firewall but nothing on R56.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TO

Old 02-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
How did your MCS run when running at 1/10 of power? Was it rough or misfiring? I also have a 2007 MCS and have had issues rarely not starting when key FOB had been inserted with clutch all the way in. Once right after startup the engine raced to 6000 rpm's for a few seconds, another time I started up my Mini and it just stalled immediately after starting it. I'm just waiting for my high-pressure fuel pump to die unless I have the same problem is you.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Bigstuff
Neutral
The first time it happened it was actually running great and then all of a sudden it just wouldn't accelerate. Made it home and when I started it back up...it ran fine again. The second time it just wouldn't restart at all. The third and final time it started fine, drove about 200 yards then acted like it just wouldn't take the gas. After that, it would never start or stay running for more than 10 sec.
I read on another forum tonight about someone with an 03 S had a similar issue back in 2009 but never finished the thread.
Nevertheless if you can get to your Mini dealer, the HP fuel pump is covered (parts and labor) if you Mini is under 110K mi and less than 10 years old. It might be worth a couple of hours of your afternoon to get it replaced

Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigstuff
The first time it happened it was actually running great and then all of a sudden it just wouldn't accelerate. Made it home and when I started it back up...it ran fine again. The second time it just wouldn't restart at all. The third and final time it started fine, drove about 200 yards then acted like it just wouldn't take the gas. After that, it would never start or stay running for more than 10 sec.
I read on another forum tonight about someone with an 03 S had a similar issue back in 2009 but never finished the thread.
Nevertheless if you can get to your Mini dealer, the HP fuel pump is covered (parts and labor) if you Mini is under 110K mi and less than 10 years old. It might be worth a couple of hours of your afternoon to get it replaced
I'm a little confused here, you're answering back as if you were the OP which you are not. My question was for tim oneill the thread starter, it's one thing to share your similar experience but your post comes across as thread hijacking. Anyways my dealer will not replaced the HPFP unless there's a cel indicating a fault with the HPFP.

Last edited by Systemlord; 02-04-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:42 AM
tim oneill
Neutral
Sorry for the login confusion, I have two user id's set up (home email / work email) and the one username auto filled and I didn't change it. Probably need to delete one.

I was not aware that the HPFP recall was conditional (and of course to Mini's advantage). To be honest, it really wasn't the cause of my problem and my old one had 70K miles on it and was working fine.

Speaking of recalls, I also noticed that Mini did the turbo oil line heat shield update. Last year, I started to see small oil drops under the engine and found it to be a poor seal on the turbo oil line. The problem was a result of turbo heat drying out the seal which would then leak. Mini's fix was a heat shield (basically thick aluminum foil) wrapped around the top oil line. Instead of purchasing another OEM oil line (you just can't replace the seal) I purchased one from Detroit Tuning for around $70 and three hours later, problem fixed. If you don't have any oil issues (yet) you may want to look into putting a heat barrier around your top oil line.

Thanks,

Old 02-26-2014, 02:35 PM
tim oneill
Neutral
Well after nine weeks and $3,200 later, a DME wire was discovered shorted to the intake. It appears that after seven years of vibration the shielding around the wiring harness and the wire's jacket wore thin and shorted to ground. Glad to finally have it back and running. Classic Mini in Cleveland were great to work with and I would highly recommend.
The End...