R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oil Catch Can???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014 | 11:32 AM
Whitt
|
1st Gear
From: From Michigan, United States, Currently living in Germany
Oil Catch Can???

Hi Everybody,
So, Ive been hearing a good bit about "Oil Catch Cans" i get what they do, but would anyone recommend them? Are they useful? especially for the R56's because of their oil consumption i thought it'd be a good investment. If you guys can fill me in and give me some info on them and the installation process, cost,good ones to buy, info about them..etc... That'd be much appreciated!
Thanks!!

Old 02-05-2014 | 12:15 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
You can use an OCC to 'catch' vapors from your PCV system before reentering your intake just before the turbo and just before the intake manifold. I have an OCC on my driver' side and have NOT blocked the passenger side. An OCC costs a little money, and in my eyes, can't hurt if you are emptying it when you change oil. Blocking off the passenger side causes the vapors to go through your OCC during not only boost, but also vacuum. I am not convinced it's a good idea to block after reading through the threads about oil consumption via an internal oil leak some report.

What brand are you interested in? I have the BSH from WMW.

Old 02-05-2014 | 02:31 PM
Whitt
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Landesman
You can use an OCC to 'catch' vapors from your PCV system before reentering your intake just before the turbo and just before the intake manifold. I have an OCC on my driver' side and have NOT blocked the passenger side. An OCC costs a little money, and in my eyes, can't hurt if you are emptying it when you change oil. Blocking off the passenger side causes the vapors to go through your OCC during not only boost, but also vacuum. I am not convinced it's a good idea to block after reading through the threads about oil consumption via an internal oil leak some report.

What brand are you interested in? I have the BSH from WMW.
Well Ian, I'm not really sure what an OCC is, I've never owned a turbo'd car before, nor one that uses so much oil. I knw that the R56's burn a good amount of oil, thats why i was looking into the oil catch can. Other than that, I'm pretty unsure, so when you refer to an OCC I'm still unsure on what you mean, obviously its something that will catch oil vapors or something along the lines of a PCV valve. And as far as brands go..im just as clueless, thanks for the response and i look forward to hearing from you.
~stay mini~

Old 02-05-2014 | 02:56 PM
aldito2
3rd Gear
I use mine, but I think it's more gimmick than anything. I dunno. If I could go back, I wouldn't buy it again. My $0.02. (I have the BSH one)

Old 02-05-2014 | 05:59 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
I have a BSH Oil Catch Can with the passenger side PCV hose blocked off. My MINI barely consumes any oil.

The main purpose for an OIL Catch Can is to reduce carbon build up on the intake valves on the direct injected N14 engined Cooper S. The non-S cars have port injection and don't have a carbon build up problem. N18 engines, 2011 and later, also don't need an Oil Catch Can, as they have an improved head design that reduces intake valve carbon build up.

Dave

Old 02-05-2014 | 06:04 PM
aldito2
3rd Gear
Maybe I have a good mini lol. Mine never consumed oil and I'm only able to empty my occ once every one month in the winter and 6 months in warm weather. Even when I empty it it's never more than 25% full. I'm willing to sell my occ if anyone wants it (OP?) I'll include the PVC blockers too (brand new never uses)

Old 02-06-2014 | 03:16 AM
Whitt
|
1st Gear
Okay great, thanks for the info. I guess ill just hold off on it unless i find a cheap one. I really don't know what they run. I was just curious cause of how much oil the R56's use. Thanks guys!

Old 02-06-2014 | 05:55 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
It can't hurt, but definitely do your research first. There are a lot of threads on here about it. Read the ones about reported increased oil consumption after blocking the passenger side PCV in particular. Could be idiots forgetting to empty their OCCs until they overflow OR could be a pressure issue in the PCV system when blocked off that causes oil to be redirected into the combustion track at some point. I don't know, and I'm not going to risk it, so I don't have it blocked, but I also drive a LOT of highway so my engine is less likely to get carbon than a 5 minute around town driver.

Even with an OCC, if you are not driving extensive highway miles, plan on having a carbon cleaning every 30-50K. Lots of threads on here about DIY methods with plenty of pictures of carbon buildup, or you can pay someone $500-$300 to do it for you.

Stand on the shoulders of giants... I have an OCC, but am basing most of my opinion on what others have said alongside their photos.

Old 02-06-2014 | 06:50 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
FWIW, I have been researching catch cans for my VW and even had my PCV setup for VTA (vent to atomosphere). I thought this would reduce buildup on the valves and manifold, but the truth is 2 years later it's made little to no difference. Just made the car smell a bit. Direct injection is dirty by design, your best bet is just a manual cleaning some time. I'd say 60k-80k if it's running ok.

Old 02-06-2014 | 07:36 AM
Whitt
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by zrickety
FWIW, I have been researching catch cans for my VW and even had my PCV setup for VTA (vent to atomosphere). I thought this would reduce buildup on the valves and manifold, but the truth is 2 years later it's made little to no difference. Just made the car smell a bit. Direct injection is dirty by design, your best bet is just a manual cleaning some time. I'd say 60k-80k if it's running ok.
Okay great, Thanks guys, i really appreciate it. Ill continue to do research on them. As far as carbon cleaning, how hard/big of a job is it? i bought mine used and has over 100k kilometers, i doubt its ever been cleaned and I've heard a lot about the cleanings.

The following users liked this post:
cristo (02-13-2020)
Old 02-06-2014 | 08:01 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
Supposedly, you can drive the car hard (above 3000rpm for 20-30min) and it will burn off most deposits. The 'Italian tune-up.' That said, a manual cleaning involves removing the intake manifold. I would say it's more tedious than hard. Here is one thread
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cleaning.html

Old 02-06-2014 | 09:51 AM
SoCal MCS
3rd Gear
I have a BSH OCC and PCV Block that I installed after I had the walnut blast 15K miles ago...I used to burn about a quart every 5K miles (I change oil every 5K) but over the last 3 oil changes I use less than 1/4 quart/5K. I just changed oil this past week and pulled the intake off and used a lighted bore scope to take a peek at the valves...no buildup to speak of. When I did the walnut blast at 38K it was absolutely horrible! Big chunks of carbon buildup...I was surprised the valves even closed!

So...in my book the OCC and block is worth every penny....but I'll pull the intake again in 15K to take another peek.

Old 02-06-2014 | 10:38 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SoCal MCS
I have a BSH OCC and PCV Block that I installed after I had the walnut blast 15K miles ago...I used to burn about a quart every 5K miles (I change oil every 5K) but over the last 3 oil changes I use less than 1/4 quart/5K. I just changed oil this past week and pulled the intake off and used a lighted bore scope to take a peek at the valves...no buildup to speak of. When I did the walnut blast at 38K it was absolutely horrible! Big chunks of carbon buildup...I was surprised the valves even closed!

So...in my book the OCC and block is worth every penny....but I'll pull the intake again in 15K to take another peek.
I'd like to know how it looks when you pull it again.

Sounds like everyone is saying, 'Here's my opinion, but I don't rightly know for sure.' Socal will 'know' after he pulls his intake, but I'd say block at your own risk, and don't forget to empty the thing. =)

Old 02-06-2014 | 10:48 AM
aldito2
3rd Gear
occ reviews are so mixed. It's odd. I can't see it hurting but I also don't think it helped me

Old 02-06-2014 | 11:18 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Whitt
Well Ian, I'm not really sure what an OCC is, I've never owned a turbo'd car before, nor one that uses so much oil. I knw that the R56's burn a good amount of oil, thats why i was looking into the oil catch can. Other than that, I'm pretty unsure, so when you refer to an OCC I'm still unsure on what you mean, obviously its something that will catch oil vapors or something along the lines of a PCV valve. And as far as brands go..im just as clueless, thanks for the response and i look forward to hearing from you. ~stay mini~
I guess that by now you what OCC means right? Some people swear by the oil catch can (OCC) others don't believe in it, in my opinion they are too expensive and some people like them for looks. Others have homemade OCC's etc..my guess is that it helps some engines but not all.... Then again I'm just guessing lol

Old 02-06-2014 | 11:24 AM
bimpower
2nd Gear
I have one for sale if anyone is interested.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...boost-tap.html

Old 02-09-2014 | 01:18 PM
Whitt
|
1st Gear
ahh okay, Great! thanks for the help!!