R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Cat-back compared to stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Whitt
1st Gear
Location: From Michigan, United States, Currently living in Germany
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vetsvette
The second cat is just an unmonitored emissions reducing device and as a rule very restrictive. The resonator on the other hand serves a couple of purposes and is not very restrictive.
Simple explanation : A resonator, well, it resonates. It reflects sound waves back. Within a given frequency range, this creates destructive interference, canceling out sound.

So, if you want to get rid of the "fart cannon" sound, you'll need to add a resonator that will cancel out the frequency that your exhaust is generating that you dislike, place it at the correct location in the exhaust path (it matters a lot where it is) to allow it to do so, and go from there.
Most small diameter systems require a resonator to keep them from just being annoying. Most systems are designed with this in mind, the CNT being one.
Not so much a requirement in large displacement engines using large diameter systems. My Vette and Suburban have no resonators, but both have 3" maganflow dual exhaust systems. No annoying frequencies inherent in a V8.
Just my opinion and YMMV.

CNT Racing is listing the system for $389 on their web site. I have seen it cheaper when they have a deal listed, like their resonated DP is on sale now for $199 instead of the regular $249.
Not sure what the restrictions are these days on packages going to APO or FPO, but it's not a real big box.
AHHH okay, that was a much needed explanation. I assumed what it did by the name, but i did not know the technicalities of it. I most certainly do not want a "fart cannon" sound, i find that so annoying and sounds so bad. From this response i have fully determined that i will leave the resonator, especially since you mentioned it was mostly un-restrictive. And i can completely relate to the v8 aspect of it too, i owned two Trans Am's and neither were resonated nor needed to be. Ill stick with the Akrapovic DP i just purchased and ill put on the CNT cat back system after i get it tuned to the new DP, I feel that should create a nice sound. And i should no problem getting it here through APO, theres no box size limit as of now, As always, Thanks a lot vetsvette!!

Old 02-23-2014, 11:17 AM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
If it were me, I would install all the goodies (including exhaust system) before getting the tune. That way they can tune it for all your mods at one time. That's my plan anyway. I'm getting walnut blasted monday, and tuesday I'm installing my Forge vacuum activated BOV, AEM CAI, and BSH OCC. After Minis on the Dragon I'm thinking of going with the CNT resonated DP with JetHot coating and the WMW Turbo Wrap. The JetHot coating is supposed to cut external temps in half and retain the heat internally to enhance scavenging. Then I'm going to get it tuned. I'm thinking Helix at this time. I wish I could afford the Akropovic.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:36 AM
Whitt
1st Gear
If it were me, I would install all the goodies (including exhaust system) before getting the tune. That way they can tune it for all your mods at one time. That's my plan anyway. I'm getting walnut blasted monday, and tuesday I'm installing my Forge vacuum activated BOV, AEM CAI, and BSH OCC. After Minis on the Dragon I'm thinking of going with the CNT resonated DP with JetHot coating and the WMW Turbo Wrap. The JetHot coating is supposed to cut external temps in half and retain the heat internally to enhance scavenging. Then I'm going to get it tuned. I'm thinking Helix at this time. I wish I could afford the Akropovic.
Yea thats what i was thinking as well, but If i was correctly told i have to get it tuned for the new DP (I'm not sure if they meant Dyno-tuned, or just the ECU re mapped to the new DP, Maybe you can provide some clarification on that). It may be dumb on my part but i really want to get this DP on it and continue from there, as long as it doesn't cost me too much. Only reason i thought i could get it tuned then put on the Cat-Back is because the cat back won't provide any power gains or performance. Im curious to see what you think i should do. I do have one question for you though, When i put this DP on it, What kind of "tune" do i need? OR can i just put the WMW Delete R on it and it'll be okay. Only reason i ask this is because I don't know if the DP will change the Fuel/Air mixture and cause it to run lean, Or am i just getting it tuned to eliminate it from tripping an engine light?

Old 02-24-2014, 03:15 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would be running it to eliminate the cel primarily and for power secondarily. A stock car can be tuned to make more power.

Sent from my XT926 using NAMotoring

Old 02-24-2014, 05:34 AM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Like raptor said, you would need a tune to eliminate the CEL mainly. I am still fairly new to the Mini's myself, but I do know you will definitely get a CEL with the catless DP.
On my Vette, when I installed headers and removed the cats I installed O2 simulators to eliminate the CEL. While waiting for the sims to come in I just covered the CEL with a piece of electrical tape. Sadly the Mini doesn't come with enough instrumentation to chance doing that.
I am guessing the Delete R does essentially the same thing as the simulators. For what it's worth, I'd say go ahead and install your DP and get the tune. You'll get more power and take care of the pesky CEL, and have a better sounding car.
I'm heading out the door now to get my valves cleaned, so y'all have a good day.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, just jumped back in this thread to see what's going on. Vetsvette, before Desert Storm I was a tank company CO in Bamberg Ger with 1AD... the we went south! To answer questions/issues: The Delete-R is an Akrapovic product not a WMW one. It plugs into the computer and tell it to ignore the CEL for the high flow/cat-deleted DP. On my N18 engine, I will get a CEL once every two weeks or so and within 3-5 miles it will go away. I have been told that it is because of the differences in the N18 and that he N14 won't show a CEL at all.... I have been told this. I have never heard of anyone having long term success trying to fool the O-2 sensor with extenders, etc. NM Engineering will NOT tune to eliminate the CEL because they are based in Cali and law forbids it. Put the goodies on! Let the person doing the tune know exactly what you have and they will design the tune for the pieces and parts. A tune can/will do more than deleter the DP CEL. It will help the engine make better use of the increased exhaust flow. Before I got a tune, I opened up both sides (air in/air out) to the maximum extend possible (see mods below). After the tune I found that I seriously NEEDED a limited slip differential to control the additional HP/torque! Pricey but worth it. My next mods are inbound comprising more Powerflex bushing (rear trailing arms), Boost/Oil Press/H20 Temp Prosport gauges and Alta gauge pods). A M7 Tegris Splitter (for standard bumper) will probably be next. Good luck guys!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Some good posts in this thread.

I am assuming that once I complete my catless DP install but still have the rest of the exhaust stock, it won't throw off my stage 1 AP tune much.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Whitt
1st Gear
Like raptor said, you would need a tune to eliminate the CEL mainly. I am still fairly new to the Mini's myself, but I do know you will definitely get a CEL with the catless DP.
On my Vette, when I installed headers and removed the cats I installed O2 simulators to eliminate the CEL. While waiting for the sims to come in I just covered the CEL with a piece of electrical tape. Sadly the Mini doesn't come with enough instrumentation to chance doing that.
I am guessing the Delete R does essentially the same thing as the simulators. For what it's worth, I'd say go ahead and install your DP and get the tune. You'll get more power and take care of the pesky CEL, and have a better sounding car.
I'm heading out the door now to get my valves cleaned, so y'all have a good day.
Ahh okay, thats what i thought but i wasn't sure if it was a dyno tune or a ECU re mapping, I've been hearing things about both, maybe they're one in the same. i don't know, I've never gotten a car tuned. As far as my DP it isn't a catless one, all i can think of why it would trip the CEL because it throws the fuel air mixture off or something along those lines. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
I believe the akrapovic does trip a cel due to it being a low restriction (100 cell?) Unit.

Sent from my XT926 using NAMotoring

Old 02-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Whitt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
Wow, just jumped back in this thread to see what's going on. Vetsvette, before Desert Storm I was a tank company CO in Bamberg Ger with 1AD... the we went south! To answer questions/issues: The Delete-R is an Akrapovic product not a WMW one. It plugs into the computer and tell it to ignore the CEL for the high flow/cat-deleted DP. On my N18 engine, I will get a CEL once every two weeks or so and within 3-5 miles it will go away. I have been told that it is because of the differences in the N18 and that he N14 won't show a CEL at all.... I have been told this. I have never heard of anyone having long term success trying to fool the O-2 sensor with extenders, etc. NM Engineering will NOT tune to eliminate the CEL because they are based in Cali and law forbids it. Put the goodies on! Let the person doing the tune know exactly what you have and they will design the tune for the pieces and parts. A tune can/will do more than deleter the DP CEL. It will help the engine make better use of the increased exhaust flow. Before I got a tune, I opened up both sides (air in/air out) to the maximum extend possible (see mods below). After the tune I found that I seriously NEEDED a limited slip differential to control the additional HP/torque! Pricey but worth it. My next mods are inbound comprising more Powerflex bushing (rear trailing arms), Boost/Oil Press/H20 Temp Prosport gauges and Alta gauge pods). A M7 Tegris Splitter (for standard bumper) will probably be next. Good luck guys!
melangell, No way!? What are the odds? then you most likely know where Hohenfels is, You probably already know that Bamberg got disbanded and shut down. Maybe you can answer my question then. When i put on the High flow akrapovic down pipe (it does have a cat) Am i going to need to get it Dyno tuned or the ECU re-mapped or "flashed" guys have been telling me both things and I'm unsure of which i really need to do. And i noticed that you have the charge/discharge pipes upgraded, i wanted to do the same, I know its not the most practical but if i do that after i get it tuned to this new DP would it throw my car off real bad? You got a bad *** mini! That is exactly what i want my car to be like, if you don't mind id like to pick your brain a little, vetsvette has been helping me out a lot and i really appreciate it. Thanks for your response

Old 05-04-2014, 09:58 PM
digolfa
3rd Gear
Fart Cannon... HAHAHA.
That's my R56 JCW for sure with catless DP. My wife laughs all day long at me.