R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 bad parking lot scratch

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 PM
gravely
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad parking lot scratch

Last night, a very nice person in a new black Lincoln decided that my Pepper White MCS needed a nice scratch. They parked right up on my drivers door, and it looks like the passenger shoved their door against my drivers door and just rubbed the living $&%# out of it. I didn't noticed it until lunchtime today. Its about 1.5" long and you can feel that they ground their way into the clear coat, and left traces of black paint. It may be all the way through the clear coat, I just can't tell. No noticeable dent, though. Any suggestions on the best way to fix this? I know *********s are everywhere, but wow, I never did something like this even as a sullen teen.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your scratch...idiots still park everywhere. You'll need to use a scratch remover with a microfiber cloth to determine the depth of the scratch. If it's through the clear coat, but not through the paint, it can be recoated with a clear coat touch up paint and rubbed flat with a polishing compound. If it's through the paint down to bare metal, you'll need a multi coat product.

I've had good results on chips and minor scratches with Dr. Colorchip ( Google it) which provides a kit with exact color match and clear coat, plus a product that softens the paint repair so you can blend it out with a plastic squeegee. There are other brands available on the internet that I expect work similarly. Don't use an electric buffer ( random orbital is ok) unless you have some experience using it, as you can burn or otherwise mess up the paint.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
You will now become an apostle of defensive parking. Try parking on the extreme edge of the last slot in the farthest row in the lot. You'll get a little more healthful exercise as well. Jerks abound and avoiding them becomes a game. Good luck making your boo-boo go away.
http://www.gadgetsandgear.com/jumbo-...r-bandage.html

Old 02-26-2014, 08:59 PM
SpiderKnight
3rd Gear
Just don't park next to Lincolns, Pontiacs, Buicks and Pontiacs or anything over 5 years old. Park in the highest point of the parking lot (avoids runaway shopping carts), park next to curbs or end parking spaces (less cars next to you = less chances for door dings). And, don't park next to Pontiacs!

Old 02-27-2014, 04:34 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Door Shox

You need to check out Door Shox. I also have a Dash Cam running in the car and running in parking mode so I have video of everything and plates. Call me paranoid.

I do park far away and chose an end space or one that gives me plenty of room and the other car too.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 PM
gravely
1st Gear
I'm going to look into the Dr Colorchip stuff. I will never show this car as its my daily driver but I'd like to keep it looking nice.
I usually try to park away from other cars even in my old van. Sometimes, I'll still get someone right up on me. This was one of those times sadly. Its probably a good thing it was dark when I got to my car. Most likely I would have kicked his/her door in.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 AM
DOtheDEW
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderKnight
Just don't park next to Lincolns, Pontiacs, Buicks and Pontiacs or anything over 5 years old. Park in the highest point of the parking lot (avoids runaway shopping carts), park next to curbs or end parking spaces (less cars next to you = less chances for door dings). And, don't park next to Pontiacs!
seems you really have a thing on not parking next to pontiacs! hahaha

Old 02-28-2014, 05:53 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Dr Colorchip is good

I use Langka myself after getting good color match paint from
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/
http://www.langka.com/

videos for both L and DrC show perfect results everytime .... well, it is advertising. Some practice is needed to get outstanding results in my experience . . .