R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Do other drivers act aggressively toward your MC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:32 AM
13Hardtop_S
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been a mini owner for 6 days and I have noticed it as well. I have a 40 mile commute (RT) every day so I see every type of driver. I mind my own business and don't go looking for a race. I just want to get to work in one piece.

Almost every day someone - usually the little boy racers with their fart-pipe-equipped Hondas or Subarus - wants to race me. They speed up/slow down/speed up next to me, as though that is going to impress me (HAHAHA!!! Get real!).

I'm reminded of a bumper sticker I saw on a very nice tricked out Chevy Nova SS years ago that I would like to have: "IF YOU AIN'T FAST, F*** OFF!"

Old 03-07-2014, 06:35 AM
komet155
4th Gear
Old 03-07-2014, 08:02 AM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gravely
On another note, I've just had my MCS since December. I have a 60 mile round trip drive to work, and the S makes it a blast most times. If I'm near others I drive with the flow of traffic, and pay attention to what's going on around me. Driving a service van for years taught me to do so. For what ever reason, people are desperate to race me if i am passing them in another lane. From old Caddy's to BMW's, Audi SUV'S to clapped out Corollas, if they can't pass me, they try and force me out of the lane by cutting over. Its so weird, I've had other sports cars and classics and have never experienced anything like this. I'm thankful its so responsive or I would have already been in a wreck. FYI, it's a box stock '11 MCS in Pepper White.

I wish this was the case with me. Hell I can barely find a reason to put it into sports mode. I had a blast with a JCW coupe one day on I95 with a friendly wave at the end. Other than that I deal with zombie drones on I-95 every day.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
I think it's jealousy! I had a jeep cherokee try TWICE to race me yesterday. I embarassed him the first time then he came up behind me at a light. On the green, I just smiled and did it again. He finally got the message.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 AM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
I never really had any issues until I put my exhaust on. I think people must get the impression that because my car has a more aggressive tone to it that I think I'm some sort of a hot shot who thinks he drives a race car and they need to put me in my place.

That would be my best guess at least.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pno2nr
I think it's jealousy! I had a jeep cherokee try TWICE to race me yesterday. I embarassed him the first time then he came up behind me at a light. On the green, I just smiled and did it again. He finally got the message.
I tend to get those kind of people in their Jeeps or trucks.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:18 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I was thinking of putting this on in the spring.

Attached Thumbnails Do other drivers act aggressively toward your MC?-image-3661261748.jpg  
Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I don't see other drivers behave any differently towards my MINI than any other car I drive.

Dave

Old 03-07-2014, 12:33 PM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean

That is funny and I've joked about that before. I would be scared of the cowards who key and purposely ding/dent cars though when owners are not around.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 6000pounds
That is funny and I've joked about that before. I would be scared of the cowards who key and purposely ding/dent cars though when owners are not around.
I park literally a mile away if I can since people don't care if they ding/dent people's cars. That's why I'm ding/dent free and no scratches in three years lol.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:30 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yup, happens regularly. Everything from compacts to pick-ups.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:56 PM
the matey
4th Gear
I have had many different vehicles try and race me in my 07' MCS. They would range from huge diesel trucks to little Honda civics. I would get people trying to race me all the time, I think it's because they think "Hey it's a small underpowered car, I can take them." I drive past people who have modded cars and they get all crazy and chase after me and blow past me... no one wants to get beat by a MINI Cooper. I wonder how it will be with my new 13' JCW.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by the matey
I have had many different vehicles try and race me in my 07' MCS. They would range from huge diesel trucks to little Honda civics. I would get people trying to race me all the time, I think it's because they think "Hey it's a small underpowered car, I can take them." I drive past people who have modded cars and they get all crazy and chase after me and blow past me... no one wants to get beat by a MINI Cooper. I wonder how it will be with my new 13' JCW.
I know I love the fact that people have that mindset cause they think it's just a MINI. When I blow past them or leave them behind they just stop trying to mess with me.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
To save me $$ getting on it so hard now, I've decided to just drive it (in town) like any old Toyota or something. If somebody wants to race me, I'll just let them burn up their gas and clutch. Get me to the country, and there we can prove something if they're able. Cars I won't answer to the challenge since pretty much straights out of town: Really good muscle cars, WRX or WRX-STI's, 370Z's and you know, the ones that do really do go fast. Remember, we are only quick, not fast compared to a vette, Porsche, or something very expensive. Sadly we don't have curvy roads. There are very few cars that can keep up in curvy roads. There's the most fun is anyway. funny that they are the cars who drive like me around town. We all know, nod or the index finger recognition at the stop light etc. I've never seen a Honda with fart can challenge a vette at a light. hmmmm...

Old 03-08-2014, 11:13 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
To save me $$ getting on it so hard now, I've decided to just drive it (in town) like any old Toyota or something. If somebody wants to race me, I'll just let them burn up their gas and clutch. Get me to the country, and there we can prove something if they're able. Cars I won't answer to the challenge since pretty much straights out of town: Really good muscle cars, WRX or WRX-STI's, 370Z's and you know, the ones that do really do go fast. Remember, we are only quick, not fast compared to a vette, Porsche, or something very expensive. Sadly we don't have curvy roads. There are very few cars that can keep up in curvy roads. There's the most fun is anyway. funny that they are the cars who drive like me around town. We all know, nod or the index finger recognition at the stop light etc. I've never seen a Honda with fart can challenge a vette at a light. hmmmm...

Hmm...idk about the 350z/370z, I keep up with them easily but then again, depends if your car is tuned too.

Oh I've seen many Civic Si's here challenge a GT-R on Woodward, boy do they look foolish. Seriously though, I never get why I get tailgated in snow with 4-5 inches on the ground. I dodged at least eight cars this winter because of those idiots.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
You won't keep up after 100mph unless you're race ready. I'm just mechanically stock '05 MCS I've never tried top speed. rolliing from 5mph to 100 is pretty darn fun! I needed to know the rpm at 100.Only did it once. I want to keep the car for a long time! I have a ball in the 60-90 range just having fun where I can safely. I'm not race trained. Oh yeah, I'm old compared to most of you at now 53. I'll leave it up to you "kids" to teach 'em! Sure was fun to teach the 18 year old yesterday in Jeep though. He was just young and dumb, and needed a lesson. Made my day! Sure, in my younger days, I had fun with my modded 1980 first gen RX-7 with B engine to see what it would do. I was sad to discover 135 was top end. Waaaaaay out in eastern Washington state in nowhere land where one can see about 5 miles out. You know...I had a girlfriend in Moscow, ID, and I lived in Seattle. MOTOVATION compells you! 300 miles in 4.4 hours even including getting out of Seattle downtown on a Friday with a gas/snack stop. Impressed? she was a good old car.
Beattles: He's a real nowhere man; living in his nowhere land; making plans for nowhere plans... for nobody. You kids look it up!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 AM
cambo
3rd Gear
I'm still waiting for a return wave from another mini.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The VW GTI's and Ford Focus ST's are my nemesis. I drive a lot of freeway driving daily and these two never failed to ride by my R56 MCS and sort of taunting me to go for it. I believe it's insecurity. Since I do not look at other cars anymore on the road I believe it's a true sign of contentment which is rare in this case… I have a bone-stock looking MCS but underneath it all is a 220hp nicely tuned power plant. Besides I am too old to for these folks that their parents bought their car for them. I did however ran with a Mustang 5.0 with dignified results!

Old 03-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Saw a window sticker that read… "kiss my S.." Very appropriate all year round.. hahaha!

Old 03-08-2014, 03:44 PM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that read:

How is my driving call
1-800-EAT-S44T

Old 03-08-2014, 05:38 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Joeygonz
Saw a window sticker that read… "kiss my S.." Very appropriate all year round.. hahaha!
That's awesome hahah:-)

Old 03-08-2014, 05:40 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
You won't keep up after 100mph unless you're race ready. I'm just mechanically stock '05 MCS I've never tried top speed. rolliing from 5mph to 100 is pretty darn fun! I needed to know the rpm at 100.Only did it once. I want to keep the car for a long time! I have a ball in the 60-90 range just having fun where I can safely. I'm not race trained. Oh yeah, I'm old compared to most of you at now 53. I'll leave it up to you "kids" to teach 'em! Sure was fun to teach the 18 year old yesterday in Jeep though. He was just young and dumb, and needed a lesson. Made my day! Sure, in my younger days, I had fun with my modded 1980 first gen RX-7 with B engine to see what it would do. I was sad to discover 135 was top end. Waaaaaay out in eastern Washington state in nowhere land where one can see about 5 miles out. You know...I had a girlfriend in Moscow, ID, and I lived in Seattle. MOTOVATION compells you! 300 miles in 4.4 hours even including getting out of Seattle downtown on a Friday with a gas/snack stop. Impressed? she was a good old car. Beattles: He's a real nowhere man; living in his nowhere land; making plans for nowhere plans... for nobody. You kids look it up!
I've been over 100mph many times, so I know what my modified MINI is capable of. But totally agree when I get older I will be a lot more careful and conservative. I'm enjoying being young and stupid at times;-).

Old 03-09-2014, 07:38 PM
13Hardtop_S
1st Gear
Hahaha!! Same thing happened to me while driving my wife's 2012 V6 RAV4. He had a V8 Jeep Cherokee and was on a moderate grade. He didn't know the RAV4 V6 has 270 horses. I walked away from him and I could SEE his red face.

Jeep owners: Pack it in and go home. You ain't BAD!!!

Old 03-09-2014, 08:06 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by 13Hardtop_S
Hahaha!! Same thing happened to me while driving my wife's 2012 V6 RAV4. He had a V8 Jeep Cherokee and was on a moderate grade. He didn't know the RAV4 V6 has 270 horses. I walked away from him and I could SEE his red face.

great car - i love the v6 rav4 lol it's such a laugh how much hp it has

Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 PM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by 13Hardtop_S

You obviously haven't run into a Grand Cherokee SRT!

Quick Reply: R56 Do other drivers act aggressively toward your MC?