R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Covered Maintenance visit coincidental Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Namotuman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Covered Maintenance visit coincidental Limp Mode

Was Planning to take my mini in to get the "covered" oil change @ a 10k interval (I do a change @ 5k interval out of pocket). Coincidentally, days prior to my appointment, my mini went into limp mode...I was like, wtf!? I got to a destination (son's baseball practice), it sat for 2 hrs. Upon firing up to leave, it threw up the half yellow engine light again, so I proceeded to baby it, but once I got out of the parking lot, it disappears and the ride home is normal

Take it to my scheduled appt. a couple of days later and of course, it does not happen on the way to the dealer, go figure. Long story short, the High Pressure Fuel Pump and it's assembly were replaced, An oil leak @ the Oil Pump Solenoid was found and replaced (along with the assoc. wire harness), a Brake Pad Correction procedure was performed, new wiper blades, and a new rear hatch handle/switch was also replaced.

I'm glad I bought my mini with low mileage (14k)....It now has 20k. I hope all the bugs come out while I still have warranty coverage....whew!

Old 03-10-2014, 05:54 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I just took my wife's '12 MCS in for a CEL and limp mode. The SA said, probably the HPFP. They pulled codes, replaced the exhaust side VANOS solenoid instead. Had the exact same leak as yours, oil pump solenoid, replaced along with wire harness. Was told if out of warranty, cost would be almost $2k. Got a year and half of warranty left, not sure I'll keep it past then.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:12 PM
bmx045
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup, pretty typical N18 owner scenario here. My 2011 at 20k needed a HPFP and oil solenoid/engine harness replacement. Bought my car as CPO so everything has been covered. I change oil every 5k because I beat on it thoroughly.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Namotuman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmx045
yup, pretty typical N18 owner scenario here. My 2011 at 20k needed a HPFP and oil solenoid/engine harness replacement. Bought my car as CPO so everything has been covered. I change oil every 5k because I beat on it thoroughly.
Can you think of any other bug(s) coming down the pike? This mini had it's chain tensioner replaced before I bought it (so says carfax). I love driving it, unafraid to throw it around and put it thru it's paces. I'd hate to give it up, but I don't want to have any major issues post warranty and my fun time window may be starting to close as miles go up and resale value goes down.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:33 PM
bmx045
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Namotuman
Can you think of any other bug(s) coming down the pike? This mini had it's chain tensioner replaced before I bought it (so says carfax). I love driving it, unafraid to throw it around and put it thru it's paces. I'd hate to give it up, but I don't want to have any major issues post warranty and my fun time window may be starting to close as miles go up and resale value goes down.

I'm at 33k and nothing serious after those. Rear sway bar links go bad, needed to replace one, did it myself, took 20 minutes.