R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2nd -> 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:28 PM
micromini234
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm beginning to practice standard driving with my auto. When in Tiptronic ive noticed that car never downshifts itself to first, always second. At about 10mph I downshift to 1st, is that bad for it. It seems like some people do it and others dont.

So on par with that- do we or do we not take the foot of the gas when down shifting and up shifting in an automatic?

Last edited by micromini234; 03-17-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:48 PM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all due respect, just get the manual and begin learning. It will take a few hours and you will be fine. Finesse comes and you'll be great in no time.

Automatic transmissions (historically) hate anything other than "D."

Old 03-17-2014, 07:50 PM
micromini234
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regrets* I wish I had a gotten a standard when I got my 07, I'm a college student so it's the best I can make do with.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:54 PM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
I was under the impression that you were about to make the switch. If it's not the time yet, the definitely leave the car to shift itself for reliability's sake.

The only thing people truly struggle with when learning to drive a standard is clutch control and the "friction point."

If you want to learn now anyway, find a mate with a standard and see if they'll let you give it a go. Otherwise cheap rentals are a great time.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Cngizbleevng
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by micromini234
I'm beginning to practice standard driving with my auto. When in Tiptronic ive noticed that car never downshifts itself to first, always second. At about 10mph I downshift to 1st, is that bad for it. It seems like some people do it and others dont.
I'll ensure it's shifted into first if I want to be sure to get a good kick when the light turns green, but that's after I've already stopped. Basically, you're using engine braking when you do it as you've described. I think most people would say you're better off using the brakes than the engine to slow the car down.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 PM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
I rarely if ever shift into 1st gear when slowing. 1st gear is only for starts. Once rolling go for 2nd. Agree with the above sentiment. Using first all the time to slow is wearing on synchros and (at least my '13 mini) doesn't like to be forced into first from anything other than a dead stop.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I drive a manual & don't shift into 1st until the light changes & I'm ready to leave. Years of driving old Brit cars with non-sycro first gear have taught me not to downshift into 1st.

Your auto doesn't shift down to 1st when you come to a stop. I'm guessing there is a reason MINI has programmed it to behave that way, longevity. I'd recommend not doing it, transmissions are not cheap.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:34 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So on par with that- do we or do we not take the foot of the gas when down shifting and up shifting in an automatic?
Three points:
1). All modern automatics avoid 1st gear for smoothness and to minimize engine noise. Your MINI (and most other cars) have plenty of low-end torque to smoothly accelerate from standing in 2nd gear, and doing so results in fewer shifts and lower RPMs (skipping 1st gear), so average customer gets a "smoother and quieter" car.

2). If you floor the gas pedal, the car _will_ drop into 1st gear more often, and will accelerate faster. If you do it often enough, auto tranny will learn and adjust to your acceleration preference and will start accelerate from standing in 1st. It may still not drop into 1st to engine brake for the stop lights, but give it a shot. No harm done, just not what 99% of the automatic owners usually like to do.

3). There is no harm done in initiating gears shifts on an automatic in semi manual mode (via paddles, or gear lever), but don't be fooled into thinking that you are learning anything about driving a manual transmission. If you want to own a manual car, get one, and learn to work the clutch. Nothing you do in an automatic via flipping paddles will be in any way applicable.

Hope this helps,
a

Last edited by afadeev; 03-18-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 AM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
I agree with afadeev in all points, but just wanted to reiterate that flappy paddle gearboxes/tiptronic/"sport shift" almost always last longer and perform better when left to their own devices. Making your own adjustments is not particularly damaging, but it disallows for some of the automation that was mentioned and will likely just cost you more in fuel.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:59 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the 2013 MCS automatic and use the manual shifting 100% of the time. Because 1st gear is so short, I'll never downshift into 1st, it will lurch too much for my taste and 2nd gear is more than powerfully enough to start from standstill let alone 10 mph. Also when paddle shifting the upshift from 1st to 2nd is slowwww. All the other gears changes are pretty darn quick. Not like a dual clutch transmission but pretty fast none the less.

The car will automatically downshift into 1st when it comes to a full stop (you might have to be in sport mode for this, I'm always in sport mode and this is what mine does).

There is no reason to take your foot of the gas when upshifting, it's kind of like no lift shifting, might as well take advantage of this.

When downshifting it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you're engine braking than obvious don't because you are trying to slow down. But if your trying to go, then I normally downshift then press on the gas. You can just floor it and activate the kick down and it will automatically downshift to the lowest possible gear.

Don't worry the car won't shift into a lower gear if it will hurt the transmission and it will automatically upshift at redline. So there is no practical way to break it.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:21 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I like my automatic MINI. When I want engine braking, I pull the lever to the left (DS). It still shifts auto, but higher shift points and engine braking. This works well for winter driving, so that I can avoid braking as much. By doing this the throttle is not twitchy like when in Sport mode.

The computer reduces engine power during shifting, so there is no need to lift the throttle, like others have said.

Have fun,
Mike