R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 considering a 2007 mini cooper auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:34 PM
lucaslvu
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
considering a 2007 mini cooper auto

My girlfriend and I have been considering a 2007 mini cooper automatic with 43k miles on it. Our only worry is how expnesivr minis are to maintain and repair. We've been stressing over it all week researching the web...
Can anyone enlighten me with how much maintenance and repairs can cost.. And how reliable they are

Old 03-26-2014, 05:55 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First question would be whether it's an "S" turbo or standard non-turbo model. The turbo models seem to have a much worse reliability record. The standard non-turbo models appear to be much more reliable.
If you want an "S" model certain year models of the first generation (pre-2007) "supercharged" models appear to be more reliable but then the CVT automatic transmissions in these ealier models were notoriously bad for failures.
All Mini's are expensive if repairs are needed.
So if economy and reliability are your primary concerns, best to stay with a Honda or Toyota.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:09 PM
lucaslvu
Neutral
Originally Posted by TREX
First question would be whether it's an "S" turbo or standard non-turbo model. The turbo models seem to have a much worse reliability record. The standard non-turbo models appear to be much more reliable.
If you want an "S" model certain year models of the first generation (pre-2007) "supercharged" models appear to be more reliable but then the CVT automatic transmissions in these ealier models were notoriously bad for failures.
All Mini's are expensive if repairs are needed.
So if economy and reliability are your primary concerns, best to stay with a Honda or Toyota.
We are looking at the non S model. I know it won't be as reliable as a Honda or so, but will it be a money pit for someone who makes 40k a year?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Cngizbleevng
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lucaslvu
We are looking at the non S model. I know it won't be as reliable as a Honda or so, but will it be a money pit for someone who makes 40k a year?
Depends on whether you're willing to do the repairs yourself. There's a load of DIYs and tutorials on the web--you can do many things yourself and save thousands of dollars over the years.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:14 PM
lucaslvu
Neutral
Originally Posted by Cngizbleevng
Depends on whether you're willing to do the repairs yourself. There's a load of DIYs and tutorials on the web--you can do many things yourself and save thousands of dollars over the years.
I'd be willing to definitely attempt basics by myself and I have a few mechanic friends who work on BMWs.... I hate to bug them too much, but if things don't break too often I don't see it being a problem?
How much is average maintenance at dealerships

Old 03-27-2014, 07:35 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lucaslvu
I'd be willing to definitely attempt basics by myself and I have a few mechanic friends who work on BMWs.... I hate to bug them too much, but if things don't break too often I don't see it being a problem?
How much is average maintenance at dealerships
Out of warranty, I'd stay away from the dealerships. Instead I'd start looking for a good local mechanic who is familiar with the Mini Coopers.
Absolutely believe you will be much better off with the non-turbo model and if you keep a very close eye on the oil level (read about the dip stick problems on this site) and keep it well maintained you should be ok.
When my wife decided she wanted a "Mini" I did my research and found that if a 2nd generation model that she should stay away from the turbocharged models and standard transmissions (the standards are bulletproof but the clutches tend not to hold up and are a very expensive fix) and perferably under warranty.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:19 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The non-S MINI has proven to be pretty reliable. WE have 55,000 on ours & it has been great.

Make sure to change the oil in a timely manner & get the trans fluid changed, it is due. MINI says lifetime fluid, but that is baloney.

Have a mechanic inspect the car prior to purchase. The dealer would be good for this. They can also tell you the repair history.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
the non-s mini has proven to be pretty reliable. We have 55,000 on ours & it has been great.

Make sure to change the oil in a timely manner & get the trans fluid changed, it is due. Mini says lifetime fluid, but that is baloney.

Have a mechanic inspect the car prior to purchase. The dealer would be good for this. They can also tell you the repair history.

Good luck.
+1

Old 03-27-2014, 12:45 PM
wailone
Neutral
just keep doing the homework and have a really good mechanic check her out!!!

I just bought a 2007 R56 for my daughter about a month ago. 68K miles – traded in for a Lexus and my buddy runs a car dealer that runs about 500 cars a month via auctions. They have a full paint and body shop and full mechanic shop to do everything. That’s the caveat here….

I drove the car loved it – love the look – love the quirks and whole deal. Did my homework and the things I found that scared me were: timing chain issues (apparently more frequent in S models), valve covers, water pumps, and clutches. I proceeded anyway and bought the Mini – It’s an automatic – wouldn’t have even considered a pre-owned manual. I smelled what I thought was oil and buddy said look at the engine – detailed immaculate and silicone everything – just had oil change – they put on lift and all mechanic reviews came back positive. After I drove it around for a couple of days I noticed the smell and found the oil leak – valve cover… plain as day. So – brought it back and this is what ensues….. went to replace valve cover gasket and went ahead with new spark plugs while they were in there – turns out valve cover itself was warped, yes they are plastic. So replaced and tested great, but the car was running hot – they found a coolant leak around the thermostat and replaced the thermostat for good measure. Still ran hot – so, they called me and said they think they need to pull the head and put in a new head gasket…. Now the money is in play! They picked up the cost and sent the head and had it re-milled 2/1000’s and put in a new head gasket and went ahead while they were in there and replaced the timing chain, sprocket, guides, etc. (timing chain: that at a mini dealer is $2800 by itself) To do any of this work means the motor basically has to come out – SHOCKING. They went ahead and also replaced the water pump. So – basically I paid around $500 for some parts and I probably got about $5k worth of retail work. I’m ecstatic with the result and the car should last an eternity at this point!

I’m not intending to scare you! I would just suggest you really do your homework and also realize that if something of a larger repair nature is needed you are looking at a German import hefty bill unless you can do some work on your own or tag your buddy for help. The thing that I would be concerned with is your annual income and the potential for repairs. In the end – WE LOVE THE MINI – but as many on this site, it’s a 2nd car and not the primary driver. All things to consider – good luck and happy motoring.

Last edited by wailone; 03-27-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:00 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wailone
i just bought a 2007 r56 for my daughter about a month ago. 68k miles – traded in for a lexus and my buddy runs a car dealer that runs about 500 cars a month via auctions. They have a full paint and body shop and full mechanic shop to do everything. That’s the caveat here….

I drove the car loved it – love the look – love the quirks and whole deal. Did my homework and the things i found that scared me were: Timing chain issues (apparently more frequent in s models), valve covers, water pumps, and clutches. I proceeded anyway and bought the mini – it’s an automatic – wouldn’t have even considered a pre-owned manual. I smelled what i thought was oil and buddy said look at the engine – detailed immaculate and silicone everything – just had oil change – they put on lift and all mechanic reviews came back positive. After i drove it around for a couple of days i noticed the smell and found the oil leak – valve cover… plain as day. So – brought it back and this is what ensues….. Went to replace valve cover gasket and went ahead with new spark plugs while they were in there – turns out valve cover itself was warped, yes they are plastic. So replaced and tested great, but the car was running hot – they found a coolant leak around the thermostat and replaced the thermostat for good measure. Still ran hot – so, they called me and said they think they need to pull the head and put in a new head gasket…. Now the money is in play! They picked up the cost and sent the head and had it re-milled 2/1000’s and put in a new head gasket and went ahead while they were in there and replaced the timing chain, sprocket, guides, etc. (timing chain: That at a mini dealer is $2800 by itself) to do any of this work means the motor basically has to come out – shocking. They went ahead and also replaced the water pump. So – basically i paid around $500 for some parts and i probably got about $5k worth of retail work. I’m ecstatic with the result and the car should last an eternity at this point!

I’m not intending to scare you! I would just suggest you really do your homework and also realize that if something of a larger repair nature is needed you are looking at a german import hefty bill unless you can do some work on your own or tag your buddy for help. The thing that i would be concerned with is your annual income and the potential for repairs. In the end – we love the mini – but as many on this site, it’s a 2nd car and not the primary driver. All things to consider – good luck and happy motoring.
+1(it is what it is)