R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 JD Power: MINI Cooper 2011

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 02:37 AM
Lena Zheng
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD Power: MINI Cooper 2011

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am considering getting a Mini Cooper for my first car (recently graduated college and started working my first job). After test driving one, I fell in love with it. I'm doing research to see if this is the right car for me.

I saw that on JD Power: http://autos.jdpower.com/research/MI...back/index.htm the 2011 model was an award recipient, with a 5/5 stars on dependability. Why is it that only this model has such high ratings on dependability while the older and newer models did not?

Then on US News: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...I_Cooper/2011/ it says that JD Power ranked this same 2011 model with only 2/5 stars on dependability. I am confused with these two conflicting pieces of information.

I am considering getting a pre-owned 2011 or 2012 Mini Cooper.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:41 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The short version of the story is this:

Both the Cooper and the Cooper S have some issues with mechanical reliability. The general consensus is that those problems are much worse for the Cooper S. You can look to consumer reports for similar findings (although I don't really advocate for the publication, but they're correct here).

Personally, I average over $1k-2k a year on mechanical fixes of my S (not including normal maintenance items) including replacing transmission seals, HPFP (this one is actually an extended warranty item), bad sensors, etc. I still have it because: a) it's paid off, and (b) it's a lot of fun. Others will say they've had no mechanical problems, and that's great, but it isn't the norm.

So: Cooper = not bad reliability. Cooper S = fun, but be prepared to spend some money on repairs.

For more information on the detailed problems people have, look in the stock problems sub-forum.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:19 PM
minirab
5th Gear
First MINI, 2006 R53 - 75k and had for six years ZERO problems.
Now have a 2012 R58 JCW, two years old with 20k again ZERO
problems. Both cars run hard.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:48 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
Great that you've had so little trouble Minirab. Based on your experience here, would you say that's typical? I probably wouldn't.

Oh yeah. One more concern with the Cooper S, bought used:

The state of the engine (like all used cars) is highly dependent on the care of the previous owner. Unfortunately, BMW/MINI specify and provide oil changes at intervals that are far too long to maintain the car in good working order, so even an owner that followed the recommended maintenance schedule might have problems.

Again, this is less of a concern with the Cooper. Either way though, I would ask to see maintenance records that showed oil changes far more frequently than the MINI-recommended 10-15k miles.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:39 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
If you can swing it, get the 2012. It will have more of the original warranty. As others mentioned, there are far fewer problems with the non-S. And congratulations on graduating and the first job. I think getting yourself a mini is a great idea..

Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The most important thing you can possibly get on your Mini Cooper is a good warranty.
An out of warranty Mini Cooper is just a gamble that you will get lucky and not have problems and problems on any Mini Cooper means $$$$.
If you do go for an out of warranty then I strongly recomend you stay away from the turbocharged models and standart transmissions(the standards are bullitt proof but weak clutches which cost$$$ to fix).
What I would very strongly recomend is that you find an nice low mileage 2012 or later Mini Cooper at a Mini Cooper or BMW dealership and negotiate they certify it as an CPO car.
This would insure the car is gone over with a fine tooth comb at the dealerships and give you an extended two year/100K mile warranty by BMW/Mini Cooper which could be worth the cars weight in gold, so to speak.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:53 AM
Lena Zheng
Neutral
Yes, the 2012 Mini Cooper I'm looking at is a CPO from Mini Hawaii with extended warranty until 2018/100k miles. It was a previously leased car. It's white, which is my must have color However, I'm aware that with their CPO extended warranty, it doesn't cover for maintenance/wear and tear things, which can get pretty $$$ for a Mini Cooper too, or for any European cars for that matter. Which is why I still haven't pulled the trigger. Everyone is telling me to find a used Japanese car because they're reliable and I won't have to put any money into it. I can't see myself driving anything besides a Mini Cooper though. I'm sure maintenance can't be too bad for a 2012 Mini Cooper right???? It's only 2 years old.. I don't mind shelling out $500/year on maintenance (during warranty), but anything more than that might be a little too much for me.

My plans are to drive this car for 3 years (leaving 1 year of warranty left) and then selling it and upgrading to a Paceman or a newer Mini Cooper

Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 AM
TREX
4th Gear
If you can get a decent price on that 2012 with the CPO coverage added to the factory warranty then I believe you've found your Mini.
The maintenance on a standard non-turbo with the automatic is minimal, basicly just the oil changes and down the road brake pads.
The only way purchasing an extended maintenance program could be justified would be if you were to purchase a standard shift transmission as the clutches tend not to last and the cost of that alone would then justify an extended maintenance program.
Sounds to me as if you've found the right car if you'r wanting a Mini.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:09 AM
avenger
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rhygin
Great that you've had so little trouble Minirab. Based on your experience here, would you say that's typical? I probably wouldn't.

Oh yeah. One more concern with the Cooper S, bought used:

The state of the engine (like all used cars) is highly dependent on the care of the previous owner. Unfortunately, BMW/MINI specify and provide oil changes at intervals that are far too long to maintain the car in good working order, so even an owner that followed the recommended maintenance schedule might have problems.

Again, this is less of a concern with the Cooper. Either way though, I would ask to see maintenance records that showed oil changes far more frequently than the MINI-recommended 10-15k miles.
"experience here" is a skewed result though.. a web forum of users, many of whom may have found this site while researching a problem, is not a good sample base.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 AM
rhygin
3rd Gear
Totally agree with you. If that was the only data point, I wouldn't hold this opinion. So I combine that knowledge with my own experience (also of limited value, admittedly) and almost every survey of automotive reliability I've seen (which is worth a lot, as far as I'm concerned).

And then talk to the people who really know the cars (I have a tuner/builder I trust, which might be different than others).

So when I combine all that and weigh it against the occasional people who post that they've had no problems, I reach my conclusion.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Lena Zheng
Neutral
Originally Posted by rhygin
Totally agree with you. If that was the only data point, I wouldn't hold this opinion. So I combine that knowledge with my own experience (also of limited value, admittedly) and almost every survey of automotive reliability I've seen (which is worth a lot, as far as I'm concerned).

And then talk to the people who really know the cars (I have a tuner/builder I trust, which might be different than others).

So when I combine all that and weigh it against the occasional people who post that they've had no problems, I reach my conclusion.
Your conclusion that Mini's are problematic cars?

Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
My conclusion is the R56S (Cooper S) from 2007-2013 are not what I would call reliable and have a set of common mechanical problems, often exacerbated by BMW/MINI's inadequate suggested maintenance schedule. Some would argue that more recent cars are more reliable, but they commonly have fewer miles, so I'm not convinced yet.

I have an R56S, and I'm keeping it for the other reason: it's efficient (in fuel) and is more fun than any other car I've had. I'm willing to tolerate the problems because I enjoy it.

If you want the most reliable car, buy a Honda. But it won't be nearly as much fun.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Lena Zheng
Yes, the 2012 Mini Cooper I'm looking at is a CPO from Mini Hawaii with extended warranty until 2018/100k miles. It was a previously leased car. It's white, which is my must have color However, I'm aware that with their CPO extended warranty, it doesn't cover for maintenance/wear and tear things, which can get pretty $$$ for a Mini Cooper too, or for any European cars for that matter. Which is why I still haven't pulled the trigger. Everyone is telling me to find a used Japanese car because they're reliable and I won't have to put any money into it. I can't see myself driving anything besides a Mini Cooper though. I'm sure maintenance can't be too bad for a 2012 Mini Cooper right???? It's only 2 years old.. I don't mind shelling out $500/year on maintenance (during warranty), but anything more than that might be a little too much for me.

My plans are to drive this car for 3 years (leaving 1 year of warranty left) and then selling it and upgrading to a Paceman or a newer Mini Cooper
If you buy this car, dont go to the dealer unless absolutely necessary for covered warranty work. Immediately change the engine oil since the leaser probably never did it or maybe once in the past 2 years (have to assume the worst). The dealer rates are ridiculous, you can get oil changes for much less elsewhere. If you have a mechanically inclined friend (or yourself) you can literally change the oil parked in a parking stall by extracting it out the dipstick tube since the filter is accessible from the top of the engine. Brake pads are easy to change, as are brake/transmission fluid.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 PM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
Two 2011 R56's with no issues, 6500 miles on my new Paceman, zero adjustment of any kind.

Last edited by HorseWithNoName; 04-02-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:01 AM
TREX
4th Gear
When your free maintenance runs out Yesti is correct, dealerships charge quite a bit but if you do not have an Mini Cooper dealership perform your regularly scheduled maintenance, be absolutly certain that you keep a log book on everything you do including copies of all reciepts.
If you should need warranty work you will have to prove that you have been performing that maintenance.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:14 AM
simplybao
3rd Gear
I have an '11 with a June 11 build date. I have hair under 18K miles on it and I've had zero issues. But, as you can see, I don't drive it much. I've only had 2 oil changes in it's life and I do plan on keeping this car for a little while (~5 years).

Actually, I have had a few issues but they are minor:

1. Squeeks and rattles. It squeeks more when it's cold but it's not too bad. Most of them go away when it gets warm.
  2. Overhead door lights. Not sure what kinda electrical gremlin I have there but every once in a while they just come on. I haven't bothered telling the dealer because it's intermittent and can't be duplicated readily.
  3. Sunroof doesn't close when it's hot outside. It does close, you just have to use some finesse with the switch. If I just push the switch like normal the roof closes all the way then slides back. But if I nudge it, and close it little by little, it closes. This doesn't bother me too much either.
That's it. Small minor things. It did burn a quart of oil the first 5K miles but since then, I haven't seen any evidence of oil being burned. I check it regularly and it stays fine. I looked at the oil the other day and it looked almost new. The maintenance monitor has been telling me it needs service in 1K miles. But it's been saying that for the last several hundred miles.

I do plan on keeping it for a while unless it starts to give me too much trouble. Of course, YMMV.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Lena Zheng
Neutral
Originally Posted by yesti
If you buy this car, dont go to the dealer unless absolutely necessary for covered warranty work. Immediately change the engine oil since the leaser probably never did it or maybe once in the past 2 years (have to assume the worst). The dealer rates are ridiculous, you can get oil changes for much less elsewhere. If you have a mechanically inclined friend (or yourself) you can literally change the oil parked in a parking stall by extracting it out the dipstick tube since the filter is accessible from the top of the engine. Brake pads are easy to change, as are brake/transmission fluid.
I would love to know how to change my oil, brake pads, brake, and transmission fluids myself. I will definitely start reading up some stuff. My friend did tell me though (a guy) that the first time he tried changing his oil himself, the head gasket fell off or something like that.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:49 PM
Lena Zheng
Neutral
I was gonna buy the 2012 MC this weekend but it got sold a few days ago. Bummers.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:56 PM
avenger
2nd Gear
I was gonna buy the 2012 MC this weekend but it got sold a few days ago. Bummers.
Just keep looking I love my mini and it's been trouble free so far

Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
I would love to know how to change my oil, brake pads, brake, and transmission fluids myself. I will definitely start reading up some stuff. My friend did tell me though (a guy) that the first time he tried changing his oil himself, the head gasket fell off or something like that.
Keep him away from your car . Hopefully you can find a shop with reasonable prices that you can trust to do the routine stuff. At least you know the oil change is super easy so if they give you some line about it taking 3 hours 'because its a mini/german car' you can call BS and get outta there.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:52 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by simplybao
I have an '11 with a June 11 build date. I have hair under 18K miles on it and I've had zero issues. But, as you can see, I don't drive it much. I've only had 2 oil changes in it's life and I do plan on keeping this car for a little while (~5 years).

Actually, I have had a few issues but they are minor:

1. Squeeks and rattles. It squeeks more when it's cold but it's not too bad. Most of them go away when it gets warm.
  2. Overhead door lights. Not sure what kinda electrical gremlin I have there but every once in a while they just come on. I haven't bothered telling the dealer because it's intermittent and can't be duplicated readily.
  3. Sunroof doesn't close when it's hot outside. It does close, you just have to use some finesse with the switch. If I just push the switch like normal the roof closes all the way then slides back. But if I nudge it, and close it little by little, it closes. This doesn't bother me too much either.
That's it. Small minor things. It did burn a quart of oil the first 5K miles but since then, I haven't seen any evidence of oil being burned. I check it regularly and it stays fine. I looked at the oil the other day and it looked almost new. The maintenance monitor has been telling me it needs service in 1K miles. But it's been saying that for the last several hundred miles.

I do plan on keeping it for a while unless it starts to give me too much trouble. Of course, YMMV.

My dealer sets the OBC at 6K.. which suits me fine. I think thats fair. As long as the oil looks ok... and its full you'll be ok.

Take it in early... you can... most folks don't know that Mini will take your car as long as its UNDER 1K due for a change. I take mine early...

As for the sunroof, its a known TSB, and an easy adjustment to fix.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:12 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Too bad they sold the Mini, sounded like the one you needed. Take your time and keep looking and if you find one that is not a certified previous owner car, make the dealership certify it as a CPO as a part of the deal.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:57 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
2011 mcs here with no major issues, car is still under the factory 4yr/50k warranty and it's also CPO.