R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Best option for turbo heat shield/wrap

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:00 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts
Best option for turbo heat shield/wrap

I have a new GP and am looking for the best option regarding the heat off of the turbo. I don't want to use an aftermarket heat shield for obvious reasons, like trapping heat in the wrong places. As of right now I am considering Ways and Alta's turbo wraps.

How it looks does matter to me. Alta's does look better. I also have considered getting Ways and having the stock heat shield ceramic coated to place over it. The only issue with that option is that the look of the stock heat shield is quite poor. If someone had the ability to make it look smooth and clean I would be all for it since that is beyond my abilities.

The best option would be to have the turbo and down pipe ceramic coated but it's my daily driver. The cost of shipping everything, the coating and a rental car will be expensive.

I was hoping there was a better solution to improving the heat issue as well as the cosmetic issue.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Mini Union
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I used a kit from:
http://www.thermotec.com/products/15...ating-kit.html

It does reduce the heat quite a lot making the whole bonnet having a uniform temperature... it will take you about 1-2hours to install and nicest part is that it's all hidden under your factory heat shield. Also I would buy the hi temp adhesive spray. Need it tool, OBD SENSOR socket.

1- take the shield off, its got couple not so easy screws that you need to take out. Don't forget to remove ODB SENSOR
2-I took the heat blanket and press fitted inside the heat shield, work the wrinkles out, I took a marker and I outlined the shield onto the blanket. Cut the excess out.
3-use the adhesive spray and glue the blanket inside, JUST MAKE SURE that you PRESS the blanket in every corner to have a nice final fit.
4-use the wrap and cover your turbo and turbo pipe. Use the SS wire to tighten the wrap down.
5- I would test fit everything at this time and I will cut the OBD sensor holes into the wrap and heat shield..
6-reassemble everything back.

7-enjoy motoring

Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Thanks for all that information. It still doesn't solve the ugly stamped oem heat shield issue. You think mini would of put some effort into how it looks.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:11 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe some of the GP2 guys a few forum threads down could get you a better newer.
They all have registered their GP2's in there and they gave several Mod threads started there also.
Plus Way gas his GP2 build listed, I'd try over there!

Old 03-29-2014, 04:23 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Yea I'm very familiar with the GP section. I posted it here since more people view it.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:48 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wrap it up with Way's turbo blanket. Never a heat shield, stupid product.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:53 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I have an M7 heat shield on top of the factory one. It hides the ugly, and is black, kinda looks like it belongs.

That being said, I believe that a heat wrap is the best option. If you use the wmw one, maybe post an ad for a used M7 heat shield for the aesthetics. I also like the looks of the Alta one, but wonder if the black would turn to grey (and show dirt) after some heat cycles.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 03-29-2014, 05:04 PM
sbninja
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently ordered the turbo wrap from Way - as a matter of fact I just got it in the mail today.

I also ordered some thermotec heat wrap, i'll see if I can wrap some of the manifold. And keep everything under the factory metal heat shield.

As far as the turbo wrap/blanket. I'm thinking any turbo blanket will do. I think I read where the Mini turbo is of the "T3" size?

Old 03-29-2014, 05:05 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
There are not many options out there. The stock one is ugly. The Alta one looks the best, wish they had a picture of the engine bay with it installed.

With Ways you can still use the factory shield. It's not very pretty either. I wonder if you could use it with one of the after market flat shields and NOT have the melting valve cover issue that some people have experienced.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:12 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
I am trying to find pictures of the Alta turbo blanket installed, especially after a few heat cycles to see how it holds up and looks. I probably will end up getting Ways turbo wrap and ceramic coating the stock heat shield black so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. If any one has pictures please post them!

I definitely am not getting an aftermarket heat shield due to the melting valve cover issue.