R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New Owner with a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Bosgarage57
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner with a question

Hello fellas, new mini owner. Purchased an 07 S with 42K on the odometer. Great trade in for my little smart car and feel like it went really well.

Well, upon surfing a couple forums I hear about a Death Rattle, and now im a little hesitant. The car doesnt have the "rocks in a can" sound, but does have a sound on start up, I just assumed it was the turbo and things getting warmed up.

I did not purchase a warranty with it, the Honda dealer wanted >$3,000 for one. I am not sure if I need to be preemptive about this and go ahead and purchase the longer tensioner just for piece of mind? If so, anyone have links where to buy it and anything else that goes along with it? I am in Knoxville TN area, and do not know of any independent Mechanics that could do it cheaper than a full fledged Mini dealer.

Does anyone know the percentage or owners who have experienced the death rattle? If its a small number I'll change it, but for the research I've found, a lot of people have had issues, even trying to start a lawsuit to get it recalled.

The Honda dealer changed the oil in it, maybe I need to check it to make sure it is topped off, or see about replacing it anyway with recommended mini oil. Any suggestions would be very helpful, thank you. Luke.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:49 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
You might qualify for a free replacement under the 'campaign'. Just call your local mini dealer and ask (they will ask for your vin).

Old 04-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Bosgarage57
1st Gear
AZ, most likely not, but its worth a shot. IF I can get someone to help me Thanks!

Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
ya, seems some of the 07 MCS fall within the campaign. Can't hurt to ask, ya might get lucky..

Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 PM
micromini234
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't qualify for the campaign. You may fall under whatever state used card warranty- in ct it is free from defects In operation.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Bosgarage57
1st Gear
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 AM
Bosgarage57
1st Gear
Can someone take a look at this, the starup noise I was referring to.
https://youtu.be/QbN5V-06JN0

Old 04-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Bosgarage57
1st Gear
Thanks guys for the input, The Honda dealer I purchased from has a 60 day limited warranty. If someone that has more experience with the mini's take a listen to my video I made and see if you can hear anything unusual that'd be great:

Last edited by Bosgarage57; 04-09-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:44 PM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The rattle gets progressively worse. You probably fall under the campaign/recall if it's the original tensioner. They will inspect and measure slack, then replace parts. Call Mini USA first, they are more helpful than most dealers. I'm knocking on 100k, love this car.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Club77
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the N14 spark plug same as N18 ?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Bosgarage57
1st Gear
Originally Posted by zrickety
The rattle gets progressively worse. You probably fall under the campaign/recall if it's the original tensioner. They will inspect and measure slack, then replace parts. Call Mini USA first, they are more helpful than most dealers. I'm knocking on 100k, love this car.

Z, did you have to change your tensioner as well, see you had an 09?

Also, where do people put their sunglasses!!? I had a little clip in my smart that worked, because there was an indention letting the clip "lip" go up in it and sit flush on the visor/roof.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The N14 engine tends to be noisy, especially from a cold start. In your video, I don't hear anything suggesting a timing chain problem. Maybe some valves clicking though? Could be worth it to get a walnut shell blasting.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Bosgarage57
1st Gear
Thanks JCause, I called my local Mini, and they said they will not tell me what service has been done since I am not the original Owner. Its a BMW policy. Anyone else experienced this?

Old 04-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Bosgarage57
1st Gear
I called bmw (1 866 285 6464) and talked to a rep, super nice. She is changing vehicle info to my name from previous owner. Also asked about the TSB SI m11 02 07 (tensioner) and waterpump recall. She said no open recalls, but wouldnt help with the goodfaith campaign. I'll have to take it to mini to get checked.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:00 PM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Welcome to the MINI world!

A timing chain "service campaign" was issued late last year for all 07-10 "S" models. Here is the thread about it. I would highly recommend bringing your MINI to your local MINI dealer and having them take a look. There is no charge to check the tension on the timing chain, as the diagnostic aspect is covered by the service campaign as well. This is an active campaign, so it will certainly help ease your mind.

There is also a service campaign (they made have made it an actual recall by now) for the turbo heat shield to replace it for an updated one. It would be good to get that replaced while you're at the MINI dealer. I do ALSO believe there is something out there for the HPFP, but I haven't checked into that myself so I am not 100% positive.

I also highly recommend a walnut blast. If it has never been done, it will make a night and day difference in your experience with driving the MINI. It's pricey ($400-500) from the dealer, but it is totally worth it in my opinion. I had this done and it fixed a couple of small issues (misfire code, hesitation on acceleration, jumpy idle).

As for the warranty, I would very highly suggest that you find yourself a good extended warranty. MINI's are a blast to drive and I absolutely love mine, but unfortunately, they are also notorious for issues as well. I cannot speak for that though, as mine has been extremely great to me. However, I am also covered with an extended warranty though. I bought my MINI at a Nissan dealership and they have their own extended warranty that they offer on used vehicles and after researching, I decided to get it. It was an additional $1800 for 3 years? I think it was 3 or 5 years, forgot what mileage limit. MINI offers some protection options as well that you should consider looking into.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Cngizbleevng
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had my timing chain cassette replaced yesterday at the tail end of my factory warranty. The chain had stretched and measured 71.9mm, where 68mm is the upper limit. My car is a 2010, so I'm happy to have that piece of mind now.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Bosgarage57
1st Gear
Wow, thanks sarah for all the info. Mini of knoxville is suppose to call me back regarding service. I wasnt sure if diagnosis was free or not. The honda dealer I bought it at tried to sell me a warranty for over $3000 and I told them no....ugh, maybe I need to reevaluate. I'll try to find all the info I can and hope they do replace it for free...

Old 04-11-2014, 08:21 AM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57
Wow, thanks sarah for all the info. Mini of knoxville is suppose to call me back regarding service. I wasnt sure if diagnosis was free or not. The honda dealer I bought it at tried to sell me a warranty for over $3000 and I told them no....ugh, maybe I need to reevaluate. I'll try to find all the info I can and hope they do replace it for free...
The diagnosis is definitely part of the service campaign for the timing chains, so there should definitely not be any cost. If anything, contact MINI USA and they will tell you exactly what is done under the campaign so that you know prior to going to the dealer. From what I understood from my service advisor, they first check the slack and if it is within the threshold for a full replacement, they do it at no cost. Many customers are also receiving loaner cars for this as well, as it does typically take a couple of hours for everything to be completed. I would honestly just plan a day to have them check it all out, and also do the walnut blast. The thought of $450 right now probably makes you but it really makes a huge difference and made me love my MINI even more once she was running smoother.

Did you finance your car or pay outright? If you financed, I would check with the bank you financed through if you did not go through Honda, and see if they offer any extended warranty options for used vehicles. My bank offered an extended warranty, but what I got through Nissan was cheaper, much better coverage, and lasted longer. Like I said, MINI does offer extended warranties as well. I will say, $3000 is a bit insane and I would've cringed at that.

When I was shopping, I was told that at the very least, get an extended warranty for at least 3 years - make sure the mileage is reasonable to what you drive per year. You can always extend the warranty later on, for longer if you keep the car beyond 3 years. But in the very least, you don't have to chalk up the full cost of a lengthy extended warranty all at once and you'll still be covered.

Hopefully all that doesn't scare you from enjoying your MINI. I drive a lot and I have had absolutely zero issues - other than the ones I mentioned in the previous post that were present when I bought the car. I like to be prepared for the "what if's" and MINI parts can be pricey.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:53 AM
Bosgarage57
1st Gear
Hello all. Stopped by the dealer yesterday, read my key and said the previous owner had the car in there to get the hpfp, turbo heat shield, and timing chain this past December checked. I asked him if any of those things were changed and he said from what he can tell, no. I asked him if they can change them, and until an issue arrives, no. So seems like I'm kinda stuck.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57
Hello all. Stopped by the dealer yesterday, read my key and said the previous owner had the car in there to get the hpfp, turbo heat shield, and timing chain this past December checked. I asked him if any of those things were changed and he said from what he can tell, no. I asked him if they can change them, and until an issue arrives, no. So seems like I'm kinda stuck.
Check your oil every week religiously, these N14's burn oil like a chain smoker! I bought my MCS just a little over a year ago (March 3/13/13) and my timing chain was already stretched during the summer and one thing I noticed after finely getting my timing chain assembly replaced, engine makes a particular noise when the chain is not stretched.

It's the sound of the chain running against the plastic guides, see when my chain was stretched it wasn't making much contact with the plastic guides so it was quieter since it wasn't properly tensioned. I can hear it in your video and I believe that is the sound that you're talking about, mine sounds like yours at warm-up also so don't worry about it. As long as you hear that sound you know your timing chain is properly tensioned, but when you don't hear that sound...

Old 04-14-2014, 08:32 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm surprised you are not covered. They probably installed the extended tensioner at some point, which puts you outside the campaign. Or perhaps your 42k parts are still holding up and not enough slack yet. If that's the case, keep motoring and when the noise gets worse bring it back in. When the racket continues after the car is warmed up, that's the time to worry.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:17 PM
MyYellow 07
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
See this thread. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3855867

You need to push them to replace it. Tell them you want to contact Regional Advisor. Talk to the Manager of the Service area.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:19 PM
MyYellow 07
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
BTW: you can also go on Mini Website, and register the Mini to yourself, then you will get any Mini Mailings to you. Like the Recall notice.