R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mods and opinions on aftermarket headers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Dfrontiera
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods and opinions on aftermarket headers?

Hi all,

So I'm going over the mods I'm planning to make to my R56 Non S I affectionately call the "StormCooper".

Alta 3 Way Rear Sway Bar
Detroit Tuned Big Breaks (with Braided Brake lines)
Alta Positive Steering Response System
Sprint Booster
VMAXX Adjustable Coilovers
JCW Body Kit
TSW Chassis Cross Brace
Adjustable Camber Plates
HID Headlights
17' wheels

The thing I'm not sure about is the exhaust system. I've heard mixed things about getting an aftermarket header. The thing is I need something legal but I wouldn't mind trying to squeeze a bit more WHP out of the car if I can. Any opinions on replacing the header? I was thinking I might have to get a full custom exhaust system. Also wondering in what order you would do the mods listed above.

-D

Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If you have a "S" it doesn't have a header. If you do have an "S" you only have 4 choices for manifolds. 1 being stock, 2 being the JCW/N18 manifold, 3 custom manifold, and 4 being a ported version of 1 and 2.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Dfrontiera
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
If you have a "S" it doesn't have a header. If you do have an "S" you only have 4 choices for manifolds. 1 being stock, 2 being the JCW/N18 manifold, 3 custom manifold, and 4 being a ported version of 1 and 2.

I have a NON S (Justa a cooper). I know that S's don't have a header.

But considering I have justa cooper I'm trying to find a way to squeeze a little more WHP out of my engine while still keeping it legal. I've heard mixed things about different headers. Just curious what others have heard and what options there are.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 AM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
Leave it alone

I really, truly believe you shouldn't bother with anything other than a cat-back. You will not net any measurable horsepower gains, and risk fiddling with legality. Buy an exhaust that you like the sound of, and spend the header budget on something else you enjoy.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:46 AM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
Brakes

Also, since I'm lending my opinion: what is the reason for he brake upgrade? If it's primarily looks then go for it. Don't get them for performance reasons. Brake balance is upset on many "big brake" upgrades (long explanation deleted). A pad upgrade would be perfect for that purpose.

Just trying to find places where you could either save the dough, or lend it to another item.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Dfrontiera
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JcarrollWS6
Also, since I'm lending my opinion: what is the reason for he brake upgrade? If it's primarily looks then go for it. Don't get them for performance reasons. Brake balance is upset on many "big brake" upgrades (long explanation deleted). A pad upgrade would be perfect for that purpose.

Just trying to find places where you could either save the dough, or lend it to another item.
Part of it is for looks. I've also heard that since I'm getting 17's I'd need bigger brakes. The other part of this, and I know there will be groans but when the engine does finally die my intention is to gut the engine bay and replace it with a cooper S engine with the turbo, intercooler etc... My goal is ultimately to take it up to the local track for instruction and some fun.

I really appreciate the opinions too! so thank you for responding. Saving money is a big thing for me so with everything said you still don't think big brakes are needed that would be nice. I can always clean and paint the calipers for the 'looks' portion.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You do not need bigger brakes with bigger wheels. Will it look better? Absolutely. But there is no actual need. Pads, SS brake lines, and slotted rotors sure, but no BBK needed. Plus the more weight you carry in the brakes the slower you will be since you will be adding unsprung weight.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:45 PM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
You do not need bigger brakes with bigger wheels. Will it look better? Absolutely. But there is no actual need. Pads, SS brake lines, and slotted rotors sure, but no BBK needed. Plus the more weight you carry in the brakes the slower you will be since you will be adding unsprung weight.
Correct. Larger wheels, assuming you but wisely will weigh about the same and the larger wheels/thinner tires will have proportionally similar rotational inertia. Better pads and good quality solid rotors will be PLENTY. Paint the calipers and keep the wheels very clean = perfect

Old 05-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Dfrontiera
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Correct. Larger wheels, assuming you but wisely will weigh about the same and the larger wheels/thinner tires will have proportionally similar rotational inertia. Better pads and good quality solid rotors will be PLENTY. Paint the calipers and keep the wheels very clean = perfect
Thanks a ton for the advice guys. I think I'm gonna go with your suggestions and just do the break lines, slotted rotors, and better pads then just paint the calipers. This will save me a ton. I really appreciate it!!!