R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I've gone through more chain than Mr. T

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
I've gone through more chain than Mr. T

I had the timing chain replaced under warranty early in my ownership. About a year ago, I had it replaced again, at my cost. Now it's making that noise again, and probably worse than the other times. I've about had it with this car. A timing chain should be a lifetime part, and I'm about to install the fourth one. I've been very good at topping the oil and changing it ever 7500 miles, which should prevent sludge.

I know about the campaign, but I don't qualify since I had it replaced under warranty already. I talked to an SA at MINI of Baltimore who told me they could diagnose it, then request a goodwill repair, which is totally up to MINI, not the dealer. But since I've done my own maintenance, etc., so the likelihood of that happening is pretty close to nil. They quoted $250 to even measure the chain! What's that - a 20 minute job? They're making more per hour than my lawyer.

I think the only options are to do it myself again, then sell the car, or to set fire to it and push it into the Grand Canyon on Youtube. Maybe then, MINI would realize what they're doing to their customer loyalty.

I've loved the car, but hell if I'll ever buy another one.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mslatter
I had the timing chain replaced under warranty early in my ownership. About a year ago, I had it replaced again, at my cost. Now it's making that noise again, and probably worse than the other times. I've about had it with this car. A timing chain should be a lifetime part, and I'm about to install the fourth one. I've been very good at topping the oil and changing it ever 7500 miles, which should prevent sludge.

I know about the campaign, but I don't qualify since I had it replaced under warranty already. I talked to an SA at MINI of Baltimore who told me they could diagnose it, then request a goodwill repair, which is totally up to MINI, not the dealer. But since I've done my own maintenance, etc., so the likelihood of that happening is pretty close to nil. They quoted $250 to even measure the chain! What's that - a 20 minute job? They're making more per hour than my lawyer.

I think the only options are to do it myself again, then sell the car, or to set fire to it and push it into the Grand Canyon on Youtube. Maybe then, MINI would realize what they're doing to their customer loyalty.
I've loved the car, but hell if I'll ever buy another one.
A fourth time, that's considered completely unacceptable! For it to fail four timings there's something wrong here besides a design flaw, you need to make a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Mini doesn't care unless there's a lawsuit, they have no sense of customer loyalty whatsoever! You need to threaten Mini USA with a lawsuit and tell them four times is unacceptable by any standards. Nobodies gonna buy a car that has had the timing assembly replaced four times, this is still biting Mini is the $$s for years to come.

Last edited by Systemlord; 05-07-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:53 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
that about sums it up....the PSA french Motor IMO has been a mess...and now with the F56, MINI is RUNNING away from from it...with just cause!!

Old 05-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
that about sums it up....the PSA french Motor IMO has been a mess...and now with the F56, MINI is RUNNING away from from it...with just cause!!
I bet the people employed by Mini that handle claims know to stay away from the R56 Mini Cooper S model like it's a plague! Consumers don't dwell in the past so we are going to have a new generation of Mini owners loving the F56 if it's more reliable, people will remember Mini's dark child that's locked in the basement.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:22 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
terrible.. r56s was a disaster

Old 05-07-2014, 02:30 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that's unreal!! How many miles do you have on your MINI? I have a funny feeling all those so called updated parts are really nothing updated for these timing chain problems. The only hope is that some aftermarket company jumps in and makes a decent assembly. Hopefully the F56 will be a more reliable MINI. But im not holding my breath for that..time will only tell.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
Wow that's unreal!! How many miles do you have on your MINI? I have a funny feeling all those so called updated parts are really nothing updated for these timing chain problems. The only hope is that some aftermarket company jumps in and makes a decent assembly. Hopefully the F56 will be a more reliable MINI. But im not holding my breath for that..time will only tell.
The new Mini has an assist to smooth the clutches transition, this will be easier on the clutch engagement. Mini removed all the mistakes made by the Prince Engine. It's Mini's last chance to put out a reliable car.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:14 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
The new Mini has an assist to smooth the clutches transition, this will be easier on the clutch engagement. Mini removed all the mistakes made by the Prince Engine. It's Mini's last chance to put out a reliable car.
Well said.. I totally agree with you. MINI is kind of at a stage in its life as Do or Die.. Its a shame too. The R56 is a sharp car.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
Well said.. I totally agree with you. MINI is kind of at a stage in its life as Do or Die.. Its a shame too. The R56 is a sharp car.
I still want the GP2.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think we need to boycott MINI altogether OR stage a demonstration rally outside the dealership with signs and etcetera... NATIONWIDE MEDIA COVERAGE to expose the ALL ISSUES with the R56! OR CLASS ACT LAWSUIT...

I do love my MINI a lot and enjoy driving it and it's upsetting hearing stuff like this from other owners

Who is your SA.. Jess, Yani, (Anthony) or Wayne??????? Dealt with all of them in the past... 50/50 on all but they have guidelines about claims such as this.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Joeygonz
I think we need to boycott MINI altogether OR stage a demonstration rally outside the dealership with signs and etcetera... NATIONWIDE MEDIA COVERAGE to expose the ALL ISSUES with the R56! OR CLASS ACT LAWSUIT...

I do love my MINI a lot and enjoy driving it and it's upsetting hearing stuff like this from other owners

Who is your SA.. Jess, Yani, (Anthony) or Wayne??????? Dealt with all of them in the past... 50/50 on all but they have guidelines about claims such as this.
Mini USA and the dealers are not the same entity, Mini manufactures the cars while the dealers sell them. The dealers don't design the Mini's, the fault lies with Mini USA.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:47 PM
pokeyjoe
3rd Gear
When you've replaced the chain in the past, did you replace just the chain?

The reason I ask is that I am about to replace mine (tomorrow, in fact) and my indy showed me a kit that BMW has put together. It has a new chain, but also redesigned chain guides and a different design tensioner. I really can't see much difference except with the guides. They are longer and support more of the chain. I don't know if that will make much of a difference or not. I hope so. I only have 25K on the car.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pokeyjoe
When you've replaced the chain in the past, did you replace just the chain?

The reason I ask is that I am about to replace mine (tomorrow, in fact) and my indy showed me a kit that BMW has put together. It has a new chain, but also redesigned chain guides and a different design tensioner. I really can't see much difference except with the guides. They are longer and support more of the chain. I don't know if that will make much of a difference or not. I hope so. I only have 25K on the car.
I didn't know about the redesigned chain guides, I thought it was just a stronger tensioner. I have heard that Mini in early 2013 redesigned the tensioner a third time while changing manufacturers, my timing chain parts are the third redesign. The third gen tensioner has a stronger spring also.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Mini USA and the dealers are not the same entity, Mini manufactures the cars while the dealers sell them. The dealers don't design the Mini's, the fault lies with Mini USA.
I agree... all I am endorsing is the idea of getting some media attention. NAM has numerous threads about issues with the Gen2's. Maybe something has been done, I am not sure. If it has indeed.. it's probably a silent protest.

I would often check the main topic column about new MINI Gen2 owners or people asking for advise whether to get N/A or S and I am almost afraid to click on the thread to see what other people had to say.

Thanks...

Old 05-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Joeygonz
I agree... all I am endorsing is the idea of getting some media attention. NAM has numerous threads about issues with the Gen2's. Maybe something has been done, I am not sure. If it has indeed.. it's probably a silent protest.

I would often check the main topic column about new MINI Gen2 owners or people asking for advise whether to get N/A or S and I am almost afraid to click on the thread to see what other people had to say.

Thanks...
Did you forgot about all the videos online and not just YouTube? As I see it people will choose the easy way out by forgetting about it and moving forward. One member bought a new 370Z after needing a new N14 engine, this is what I'm mean by taking the easy way out, Mini knows this. Not enough people stand up to make a difference, if people did stand up we wouldn't be here right now.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:06 PM
ClubDumpster
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a recall for the tensor..not sure if I spelled that right. Mine was having issues and they are taking care of that and one other thing on their dime.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:08 PM
pokeyjoe
3rd Gear
... I thought it was just a stronger tensioner.
I don't think the tensioner is any stronger. The replacements that BMW is offering if you have a noisy chain are simply longer to take out more slack. I believe the tensioners in the kits are a different design. I'll try to find out more tomorrow.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Did you forgot about all the videos online and not just YouTube? As I see it people will choose the easy way out by forgetting about it and moving forward. One member bought a new 370Z after needing a new N14 engine, this is what I'm mean by taking the easy way out, Mini knows this. Not enough people stand up to make a difference, if people did stand up we wouldn't be here right now.
Totally get everything you're saying. MINI caters to a certain demographic... that said, either we all have deep pockets, plenty of time on our hands or simply very patient Gen2 owners. I still feel that this "shared" issue needs to be collectively fully addressed & publicized. A lot ideas come into mind right now...

1. calling the local police department to see if there are any ordinance about holding a peaceful demonstration at the place of business and etcetera;
2. organizing a petition for nationwide protest directed to MINI USA;
3. or is the "juice worth the squeeze..." We all just let up?

In essence, in my own personal opinion, an average American replaces his or her vehicle every 3-5 years as a form of assurance and confidence on the road. Sadly, our MINI is barely making the grade.

Thank you.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:12 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
r56 problems?

What are the longterm problems with the N18 engine?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubDumpster
There was a recall for the tensor..not sure if I spelled that right. Mine was having issues and they are taking care of that and one other thing on their dime.
Not on their dime willingly, lawsuits are what forced their hand. Don't make it sound like they're doing you a favor. It could be you on your fourth timing chain, just be glad it's not.

Last edited by Systemlord; 05-07-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 PM
ClubDumpster
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Either way they did say they were replacing one other thing for me, on recall, but I didn't think to ask what it was.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
To answer some specifics about my situation:

* To be clear, it's the third failure (fourth chain, counting the one it came with). The first was around 25K. The second was about 105K last April. This one is around 130K.
* They replaced the full cartridge, not just the chain. Tensioner, too, with whatever was current at the time. I never had just a tensioner done. My indy mechanic says the longer "repair" tensioner is a stop-gap at best, that just delays the problem recurring, but isn't a true fix.
* Doesn't matter who my SA was. He was just doing his job and implementing the policy. I don't hold it against him (though I did laugh when he quoted $250 to measure the chain - my independent guy offered to do it for free since he was disappointed it came back so soon.)

I understand the economics behind the policy. And I'm sure MINI has some top notch bean counters who've projected out the loss of customers like me, and have figured they'll still make money. I'm just trying to amplify my voice a little online here to have some small effect on their calculations. Hopefully, someone else will benefit from it.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

* To be clear, it's the third failure (fourth chain, counting the one it came with). The first was around 25K. The second was about 105K last April. This one is around 130K.
* They replaced the full cartridge, not just the chain. Tensioner, too, with whatever was current at the time. I never had just a tensioner done. My indy mechanic says the longer "repair" tensioner is a stop-gap at best, that just delays the problem recurring, but isn't a true fix.
* Doesn't matter who my SA was. He was just doing his job and implementing the policy. I don't hold it against him (though I did laugh when he quoted $250 to measure the chain - my independent guy offered to do it for free since he was disappointed it came back so soon.)

I understand the economics behind the policy. And I'm sure MINI has some top notch bean counters who've projected out the loss of customers like me, and have figured they'll still make money. I'm just trying to amplify my voice a little online here to have some small effect on their calculations. Hopefully, someone else will benefit from it.
Very good (IMO) summery of the situation....
A timing chain SHOULD last the LIFE of a MOTOR...lets face it...a rubber belt typically lasts 120 MILES in a Asian import...and the typical CHAIN lasts from day 1 to engine overhaul (for reasons OTHER than chain failure) in 90% of motor with a chain....
to have anything less shows a MAJOR ISSUE....

Old 05-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear

Well it seems you've put some mileage between replacing the timing components, but don't you still have a warranty for last April? Mini is the bad guy here, I/we appreciate your voice and am surprised you've hung in there for a fourth time. If I owned a Mini dealership and someone came back for a third time I would cover it all at my expense, that's just me though. There are Mini dealers out there that would take a hit to their wallet to do the right thing.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Cngizbleevng
3rd Gear
Don't you get a two year warranty on replaced parts?

Quick Reply: R56 I've gone through more chain than Mr. T