R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Emissions Fail

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:48 AM
micromini234
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I failed my emissions test. Im not an expert at deciphering what the fail notice means.
If you look in the picture the catalyst says it was not ready. Not sure if that means I need to heat the Cat up or what? In Ct it just a OBDII and visual check.

At any rate I do have high flow cat 200 cell but the CEL were tuned out of it. Does anyone have experience with this.

Attached Thumbnails Emissions Fail-img_1839.jpg  

Last edited by micromini234; 05-13-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:19 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Just because you don't have a CEL does not mean your car is reporting CAT status correctly, I don't know about MINI tuning as I did MANY GM cars and turning off the CEL has nothing to do with the reporting of CAT status, I'd ask your tuner.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:35 AM
micromini234
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
Just because you don't have a CEL does not mean your car is reporting CAT status correctly, I don't know about MINI tuning as I did MANY GM cars and turning off the CEL has nothing to do with the reporting of CAT status, I'd ask your tuner.
Yeah I sent email over.

I definitely know if you get a cel you fail.

I don't understand how the car knows or monitors the cat then. I was under the assumption- that the o2 sensors do that.
the o2 sensors are definitely working and present. I can see the car switch to open and closed loops by my scangauge so wouldn't that suggest the cat should be ready.?
Unless to get rid of the cel these areas had to be in a sense turned off?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:36 AM
rhygin
3rd Gear
The CEL is coming because the tune to remove the CEL doesn't trick the computer into thinking that your catalytic converter is working. It just keeps the cat monitor in a constant state of "not ready". This is the same as if you had cleared other engine codes which were recurrent - the computer wouldn't immediately show them. It takes a certain set of engine start and stop or mileage cycles before they'll re-appear.

The CEL coding trick really just works for removing the annoying light (or for states where they don't plug into the car for emissions). To pass plug-in emissions, all of the systems have to be reporting (which your cat isn't).

Edited to add: It may be difficult to pass with your high-flow cat.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:39 AM
micromini234
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rhygin
The CEL is coming because the tune to remove the CEL doesn't trick the computer into thinking that your catalytic converter is working. It just keeps the cat monitor in a constant state of "not ready". This is the same as if you had cleared other engine codes which were recurrent - the computer wouldn't immediately show them. It takes a certain set of engine start and stop or mileage cycles before they'll re-appear. The CEL coding trick really just works for removing the annoying light (or for states where they don't plug into the car for emissions). To pass plug-in emissions, all of the systems have to be reporting (which your cat isn't).
That makes sense-
In that case I'll have to ask to do a dyno style emissions test if there is any hope of passing.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 520 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by rhygin
The CEL is coming because the tune to remove the CEL doesn't trick the computer into thinking that your catalytic converter is working. It just keeps the cat monitor in a constant state of "not ready". This is the same as if you had cleared other engine codes which were recurrent - the computer wouldn't immediately show them. It takes a certain set of engine start and stop or mileage cycles before they'll re-appear.

The CEL coding trick really just works for removing the annoying light (or for states where they don't plug into the car for emissions). To pass plug-in emissions, all of the systems have to be reporting (which your cat isn't).

Edited to add: It may be difficult to pass with your high-flow cat.
That is correct!!

OP, did they turn on the CEL override because of an issue, or just to avoid it.
You can ask your tuner to remove that feature, run a ready cycle, and if no CEL, go back and test.

Obviously its only an OBD test, not a visual.

Dont do a dyno, those HFCs will fail the tail pipe O2 readings.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:01 AM
micromini234
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
That is correct!! OP, did they turn on the CEL override because of an issue, or just to avoid it. You can ask your tuner to remove that feature, run a ready cycle, and if no CEL, go back and test. Obviously its only an OBD test, not a visual. Dont do a dyno, those HFCs will fail the tail pipe O2 readings.
I asked them to do it just to avoid it. I'll ask them to send one modified for emission passing lol.
Yeah I passed the visual test I'm not horrible I have 200 cell cat - I failed cause the the systems were not ready

Old 05-13-2014, 12:16 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 520 Likes on 432 Posts
The dyno checks O2 levels. With a 200 cell cat, you have a slim chance of passing.

The reason you have a CEL turn off in your tune is to not have it light up during rick conditions, thats what a dyne sniffer will read, rich!!