R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Unbelievable List of Issues with 2008 S

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:52 AM
NotAFan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unbelievable List of Issues with 2008 S

When my son bought this Mini, the whole family decided we would soon make the switch to Minis. But it quickly taught us otherwise. This car has left him stranded so many times. We have had it towed many, many times.

At 37274 miles he had to replace the clutch disc & flywheel for over $2200.

At 48342 miles he had to replace timing chain, valve cover, intake hose, clutch pedal retaining clips, sensor for headlight for over $2300.

At 55590 he had to have engine long block assembly, new hood latch, serp belt tensioner replaced for over $3600.

At 57078 he had to have coils secured with clasps to get car to run correctly.

At 58000 he had to have new starter.

Now it's back in for belt tensioner failure, cooling system staying on up to 30 minutes after shut off, and a door that won't lock or unlock.

This car is a junk. I have never in my life had this many repairs on one car. He is a young musician trying to pay a car payment every month and then he has to be without a car for weeks at a time and pay repair bills. Mini lost five customers on this deal.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:57 AM
two250
4th Gear
Sorry to hear about your issues, I'm currently at 55k and haven't run into any of that. However did you really just join to complain? Are you looking for suggestions or help?

Old 05-22-2014, 12:00 PM
NotAFan
Neutral
I really did join just to complain. Very frustrated. But glad to hear you haven't had the issues.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:20 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 520 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAFan
When my son bought this Mini, the whole family decided we would soon make the switch to Minis. But it quickly taught us otherwise. This car has left him stranded so many times. We have had it towed many, many times.

At 37274 miles he had to replace the clutch disc & flywheel for over $2200.

At 48342 miles he had to replace timing chain, valve cover, intake hose, clutch pedal retaining clips, sensor for headlight for over $2300.

At 55590 he had to have engine long block assembly, new hood latch, serp belt tensioner replaced for over $3600.

At 57078 he had to have coils secured with clasps to get car to run correctly.

At 58000 he had to have new starter.

Now it's back in for belt tensioner failure, cooling system staying on up to 30 minutes after shut off, and a door that won't lock or unlock.

This car is a junk. I have never in my life had this many repairs on one car. He is a young musician trying to pay a car payment every month and then he has to be without a car for weeks at a time and pay repair bills. Mini lost five customers on this deal.
Did you buy this new in 2008??
Or was this purchased used? If used, Im certain that the previous owners maintenance, and driving habits might be contributory to these issues.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:22 PM
NotAFan
Neutral
Used in 2012.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:37 PM
two250
4th Gear
I really did join just to complain. Very frustrated. But glad to hear you haven't had the issues.
Fair enough, just thought it was kind of funny. Sometimes you just need to vent. Was it ever wrecked by the previous owner?

Old 05-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really did join just to complain
I believe it with a handle like "NotAFan".

completely agree with others. i fail to understand how you can call a 4-year old car you bought junk. It's a used car. Do you have any idea how the previous owner treated the car? Did you get an accurate and complete service history on the car before purchasing? did you have an independent mechanic with a proven track record of work on Mini's give a thorough front to back inspection of the car before you purchased? Did you at least pull a CarFax report?

I'm just trying to understand the point in joining a forum just to vent. Are you looking for empathy? I don't get it....

Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 PM
NotAFan
Neutral
No, not looking for empathy. Just venting. That's it. I call it junk because it shouldn't have had these types of issues at these miles. I have owned many cars and driven them up to and over 100K with no such issues. The car was purchased by my son. I was not with him. He bought it from CarMax where I had previously purchased a great used car and so had he. Had not previously been wrecked or had major repairs.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:17 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He's right - with those issues at that mileage that car was junk. Most of those issues are not typical of a MINI. Some of them (the timing chain tensioner-related ones) might have been related to the known issues with that part on an N14-equipped car, and possibly might have even been covered by a recall.

Sorry you had a bad experience, particularly when it's one that's turned you off to a really fun car that it seems you might have otherwise enjoyed (based on your initial response when your son got the car it seems like you all "get it" when it comes to MINIs).

I know how you feel, though. I had a bad experience with a used Ford Focus and no matter how good people claim they are these days especially I'll never buy one again.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:18 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Not sure what YOUR original mileage was at purchase?
But using YOUR post as reference, you bought in 2012 a 2008 already 4 years old...correct?
Then in 2 years, 2012 to 2014 (now) you put just over 20,000 miles.
Let's say 10,000 miles a year, just below average mileage, so your son did drive it lots it would seem?!?!

Not that anyone wants to pay repair bills of any kind, but seems there was considerable use being handed out by your MINI also!

And when buying from carmax, did anyone offer or did he ask about the extended warranty?

Not that you did, but lots of times when these types of threads are feted out, most of this could have been averted and/or is due to driver abuse....not just his maybe...but previous owner first!

Sorry to hear that in YOUR mind every MINI out there is basically garbage to you and the other 4 in your group. I'm sure you'll make some car manufacturer happy when you walk in and buy those other 4 autos at the same time!

Until then......enjoy.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Cngizbleevng
3rd Gear
Yeah, I'd be livid if I had to deal with repairs like that. Unfortunately, it might have been the bad luck of the draw to end up with that particular car.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:49 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Ouch, what was the reason for replacing the engine?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:50 PM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm learning more and more that these cars have way too many reliability issues. I just had an intermittent check engine light so I took the car to the dealership while I was in europe for a week. They replaced the timing chain and tensioner and added a heat shield near the turbo both at no cost as part of a ¨service bulletin¨ or whatever it's called.

They also replaced the a leaky axle boot and the thermostat and housing both under my extended warranty. I am very glad that I bought the extended warranty as it has already paid for itself in less than three years and it does provide some peace of mind. I just hope the car gets over all it's childhood issues before it hits 100K. He's at 73K now and I still haven't had the fuel pump or carbon build-up issues.

I was hoping to give this car to my daughter when she hits 16 in 5 years but now I am really wondering how much it is going to cost to keep it running at that point.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:24 AM
NotAFan
Neutral
Thanks for all of the replies. I believe he bought it at right around 37K. The first repair was almost immediately. His use has been around town mostly, but where we live, it's 30 minutes to go just about anywhere.

We all still love to drive it. We just would never trust a Mini again. Beautiful car. Cool features. No, we weren't all four going to go in at once and buy one, but were all interested in replacing our current cars at some point with vehicles with better gas mileage.

The reason for the engine replacement..."Removed cylinder head for inspection, found cylinder head warped 0.016". Also found cyl 4 and cyl 3 cylinder walls scored. Cyl 2 and cyl 3 filled with water rusted/pitted."

Old 05-23-2014, 08:18 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your son's Min Cooper.
You didn't mention, but is this a turbocharged Mini "S" model? Those are the models that have the worst reliability issues with the non-"S" models appearing to be much better.
We bought the non-"S" for this reason and have an extended warranty for added insurance. In any case I would never recommend purchasing a Mini Cooper without a warranty.
The 2nd generation Mini Coopers seem to be a little better reliability wise after 2011 year models so one of these with warranty would be a better bet if buying used, but the new 3rd generation f series 20014 -on have completely different engines that are totally BMW and hopefully will end the reliability issues surrounding the old 2nd generation models.
So don't give up entirely on Mini Coopers as they are fun to drive and with warranty not altogether a bad car to own.
Don't take it personally when some on this board may be defensive about the reliability issues surrounding these Min Coopers as they love their Minis and although there is an undisputed reliability issue, many Mini Cooper owners have not experienced the heartache of this poor reliability with their beloved Minis and may tend to fault those unfortunates for their reported problems.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:30 AM
NotAFan
Neutral
It is, in fact, turbo charged.

And no offense taken.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:49 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Not every MINI will have this issues but some will. All of this issues at 37xxx is excessive and you have all the right to vent as much as you want for that kind of coin.
I love the brand and I love my car because is fun as hell but it is not a reliable car, you particular case will vary, there are people here that drive their cars like they stole it, track it etc and they may never have a major issue and there are those who baby their cars and catch every single problem there is. NO a 37,xxx car should not have this many issues . Vent away my friend it will do you good

Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
...there is an undisputed reliability issue, many Mini Cooper owners have not experienced ...

That's funny. An "undisputed" reliability issue that many have not experienced.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:14 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
That's funny. An "undisputed" reliability issue that many have not experienced.
Sadly, it's not funny at all.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:25 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
No one on here can do a thing about MINI service issues, need to complain to MINI not a support forum.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:25 PM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear about all the issues. Just rolled up on 60k in my 07 MCS and have only had 1 major fix - the mechanical water pump. Luckily, covered under warranty.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. I believe he bought it at right around 37K. The first repair was almost immediately. His use has been around town mostly, but where we live, it's 30 minutes to go just about anywhere.
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with this Mini, but before your purchase, did you have a full pre-sale inspection done on the vehicle?

Be honest.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:42 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The reason for the engine replacement..."Removed cylinder head for inspection, found cylinder head warped 0.016". Also found cyl 4 and cyl 3 cylinder walls scored. Cyl 2 and cyl 3 filled with water rusted/pitted."
Do you know why it warped? Was it overheated? Maybe the previous owner was careless.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:01 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
I've owned my share of used vehicles and this car sounds like it had a rough life up until your purchase. Thankfully MINI revised maintenance schedules(oil changes) to help prevent this type of stuff, especially with the tensioner, and issued a recall campaign for it. The warped head sounds like the previous owner let it overheat, or continued to drive on it while the warning lights were flashing on him. Just sounds like an all-around classic case of hard use without an equally appropriate maintenance routine, and possibly ignorance, by the previous owner.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:24 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I wonder if you got a previously flooded or totaled car. That's just too many issues. After the first major repair that thing would have been sold or traded in. I'd also find another dealer or mechanic.

Quick Reply: R56 Unbelievable List of Issues with 2008 S