R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 any way for dealer or MINI USA to cover tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 PM
thinkinmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any way for dealer or MINI USA to cover tensioner?

So I've read through many pages of the supposed tensioner recall thread, and is the jist of it that mini most often will NOT pay for any tensioner related repair out of warranty? I checked to see if my car has any active recalls and of course it doesn't list any. I had my tensioner replaced under warranty about 3 months after getting the car but that was almost 3 years ago...and it's long out of warranty and I'm starting to think it might be getting bad again, though I could be imagining it. I plan on checking the slack in the chain upon pulling off and replacing the cracked valve cover i currently have, is there a particular way to get an accurate measurement of chain slack? what else should I look for while the valve cover is off? Thanks for all the help, in case it wasn't clear I have an 07 mini cooper S, manual trans, and it has about 92k miles on it, recently walnut blasted, oil changes every 5k with the euro spec synthetic (i forget the rating, a3/b3?).

Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Bad news, because it was already fixed under the warranty Mini will refuse to lift a finger to help you, but you could tell Mini USA that they replaced an already defective tensioner with another defective tensioner. More often than not if there's a need for a tensioner replacement then the timing chain has already been stretched and it will only be a matter of time before the timing chain needs replacement. You're lucky it lasted 3 years because most that have only the tensioner replaced have problems 1 year or even a few thousand miles. My 07 Mini Cooper S started having issues with the timing chain/tensioner at 47k.

Check out the thread dedicated to the tensioner/timing chain debacle here.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:28 PM
RAYGUNZAP
3rd Gear
I just replaced the tensioner the other day… @ 26,000 miles. Probably should have replaced the timing chain as well.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RAYGUNZAP
I just replaced the tensioner the other day… @ 26,000 miles. Probably should have replaced the timing chain as well.
It will catch up with you trust me.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:11 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
You can try the extended tensioner, pay a shop to fix it, or DIY the chain assembly. Someone posted recently about ebay tools for this job that worked pretty well.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:26 AM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
BMW does have a measurement tool. You remove the tensioner insert the tool to get the measurement.

You can just pay MINI dealer to do a measurement just for peace of mind. Then make your decision from there.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:48 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with a measurement, if you have a persistent rattle it needs a new tensioner and maybe more.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:07 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since the dealership has already replaced the tensioner once and at 92K I have little doubt the timing chain needs replaced.
It is unfortunate but once Mini Cooper once replaces the tensioner they write your Mini off as timing chain problem resolved and will not be willing to replace the timing chain at a latter date should the rattle reappear.
Too late for you but for anyone out there that starts getting the "rattle" my opinion is that you would be best advised to replace the tensioner yourself and then, if the rattle goes away, wait for the rattle to come back (it will) and then take it in to the dealership for a complete timing chain replacement ( which by that time it will need).

Old 06-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Chickenhawk777
1st Gear
I had my tensioner replaced under warranty at 26k. I now have roughly 82k on it and received the recall letter from Mini earlier this year. I have not made an appointment for them to look at it but was wondering what they would say if I took it in.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thinkinmini
So I've read through many pages of the supposed tensioner recall thread, and is the jist of it that mini most often will NOT pay for any tensioner related repair out of warranty?
The hard part is replacing the chain, the tensioner is relatively straight forward and inexpensive.

With 92K miles and 1 tensioner+chain change in the past (I assume under warranty, so more than 42K miles ago), you can start by replacing just the tensioner and see if it makes the rattle go away. If the chain is stretched, it wont.

The other thing I would do is run an oil analysis the next time you change oil. Blackstone Labs does it for just $25. Among other things, it will tell you whether the chain is slapping around and breaking down the plastic/silicone rail guides:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

I plan on checking the slack in the chain upon pulling off and replacing the cracked valve cover i currently have, is there a particular way to get an accurate measurement of chain slack? what else should I look for while the valve cover is off?
Not much you can do w/out MINI chain stretch measurement tool.
Not much more useful stuff to be seen with valve cover off. Interesting, but not very useful.

BTW, how did you manage to crack the valve cover!?

Thanks for all the help, in case it wasn't clear I have an 07 mini cooper S, manual trans, and it has about 92k miles on it, recently walnut blasted, oil changes every 5k with the euro spec synthetic (i forget the rating, a3/b3?).
Rating doesn't matter, weight (stock 5W-30) does.
If you intend to keep the car forever, I would consider replacing tranny/diff fluids as well.

a