R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Most You've Filled the Tank to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:13 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Folks one tip...
NO GOOD CAN COME FROM RUNNING LOW ON FUEL...
especially with a DI motor...
You have 2 fuel pumps....just a bit of air...and you will be buying one!! Running perpetually below 1/8 and the pumps that are cooled with fuel can run hot and wear....
Funny thing is...
I saw a r56 getting based up on the side of the highway yesterday....
Was in a VERY BAD spot on a narrow stretch of i93 n....easy way to get killed...

Old 06-18-2014, 11:03 AM
davidg5700
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
This issue has been hammered out so many times it is getting tiresome, the search engine will bear this out. The results are the same. I remember an adage from long ago (modified for a polite audience): "Mess with the bull, you get the horn". It applies to much more than mere livestock.

I'm glad this issue was brought up recently. I had been in the habit of getting to 2 pieces of pie, sometimes turning red, before I would refill. I had once gotten to the point where the miles left read ----- and was curious about the max capacity.

I had done a search when that happened, but I don't recall seeing the issue of fuel pump cooling in the threads I scanned through. I may have missed it and am appreciative that I now know I was living dangerously before.

On more than one occasion, someone has created a new thread on a dead horse that has prompted me to go back to see when the horse was still alive and the info that was being relayed. At the time, I wouldn't have had the desire to do a search on the dead horse until someone started flogging it again and spewing dead horse meat in my eyes.

This is a great forum with an excellent level of knowledge that has been quite beneficial in the short time that I've owned my MINI. I just wanted to thank all those that share so willingly.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by davidg5700
I'm glad this issue was brought up recently. I had been in the habit of getting to 2 pieces of pie, sometimes turning red, before I would refill. I had once gotten to the point where the miles left read ----- and was curious about the max capacity.

I had done a search when that happened, but I don't recall seeing the issue of fuel pump cooling in the threads I scanned through. I may have missed it and am appreciative that I now know I was living dangerously before.

On more than one occasion, someone has created a new thread on a dead horse that has prompted me to go back to see when the horse was still alive and the info that was being relayed. At the time, I wouldn't have had the desire to do a search on the dead horse until someone started flogging it again and spewing dead horse meat in my eyes.

This is a great forum with an excellent level of knowledge that has been quite beneficial in the short time that I've owned my MINI. I just wanted to thank all those that share so willingly.
If semi-snarky remarks can jog someone into doing a little deeper research then it has served it's purpose. There are near 150K members, a quarter of a million threads and that many short of 4 million posts. If somebody can't find the answer in there somewhere, the question doesn't exist...or sumptin' like that.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:40 PM
'10JCW
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
If semi-snarky remarks can jog someone into doing a little deeper research then it has served it's purpose. There are near 150K members, a quarter of a million threads and that many short of 4 million posts. If somebody can't find the answer in there somewhere, the question doesn't exist...or sumptin' like that.
Sir what did you fly?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Eric Campbell
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
13.7 today......351 miles on that tank.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Campbell
13.7 today......351 miles on that tank.
Let me guess, you fill it up to the fill port correct?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by '10JCW
Sir what did you fly?
Primary trainer was a C-150 5902T and 66467. Got a couple of hours in a V35 Bonanza 5560D and most of my time in a C-182 Skylane 3142S. All that was long before the price of av-gas went thru the alto cirrus.

If you're asking because of the screen name, that came about before we took delivery of our MINI(it subsequently whispered his name to us one evening but the grand wizard wouldn't change the screen name for me). I needed a screen name to sign on and the only thing I could think of was what we called an Austin Cooper S in an old sports car club I belonged to. The way he flew around the cones at our auto X sessions reminded us of a fly'n brick.

Last edited by Fly'n Brick; 06-18-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Eric Campbell
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Let me guess, you fill it up to the fill port correct?
I usually never let it go to more than 330 miles but this was a special time.

I fill it up until it stops. I never go over.