R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 "shuddering" when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 PM
sierracooper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI has design that oil filter valve has about a glass of oil ready to go at start to valvetronic mechanism right away.
I am now in California in winter +10C summer +30 (Mornings). I do not idle my mini more than 2min.
Originally I am from north russia, where winter temp -20C. People has to have electrical heating engine oil system. And idle for 15 min.

Everything depends on starting temperature.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:58 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sierracooper
MINI has design that oil filter valve has about a glass of oil ready to go at start to valvetronic mechanism right away.
I am now in California in winter +10C summer +30 (Mornings). I do not idle my mini more than 2min.
Originally I am from north russia, where winter temp -20C. People has to have electrical heating engine oil system. And idle for 15 min.

Everything depends on starting temperature.
Parts of Russia are as cold as Antarctica where it gets below -50F!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:45 AM
ultrakill
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Sure at the expense of engine wear, I welcome it. Modern cars aren't excluded from heat friction and physics, rings, pistons and all engine parts expand all at different rates. I'm utterly flabbergasted that there are those that believe running an engine cold is a sane idea, no one can deny the facts that oil performs better at 180 degrees, why anyone would want to put a load on an engine when the oil is not at optimum temperature is beyond me.

Next time you get in your car start it up and drive immediately, get on the freeway and go above 4500 rpms because it's safe to do so according to some.

This is my last post on this matter!
If you start driving immediately after starting the car, and stay under 3,500 RPMs, you are not putting any more wear on your car than starting the engine itself. Modern engines especially fuel injected engines are very good at adjusting idle speed as engine temp heats up.

I'm not trying to say you are wrong, but I think you have been mislead somewhere along the way.

Cold starts do more harm to your battery than anything else anyway.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:50 AM
ultrakill
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by breyfogle
While I can not offer any suggestions, my 2012 Justa automatic does the same thing. Sometimes, under idle throttle, before the engine is up to normal temp, just before a full stop, mine shudders slightly as if the front disks were warped. My guess is the EFI doesn't meter fuel quite right in a cold engine idle condition. I just drive it a bit more aggrressively until warm.
If your front disk was warped, you would hear and feel a pulsing and slicing noise when driving or braking, but it would not have any effect on how the engine is running.

Might want to check trans fluid and engine oil, make sure they are in good condition. Depending on how many miles you have, maybe a spark plug/wire change is in order, sounds like your combustion is on the weak side.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:01 AM
Ridley
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Car Starter

I've been reading a number of your'er question and answer about remote car starters. Also about warming up your Mini. True fully at one time I did look into having a remote car starter install too, as I live in Canada. It wasn't until I was told of the cost, that change my mine. I was looking at about $1700.00 to $2000.00 for the remote and installation that wasn't about to happen. So what I did to solve one of the problems, I installed a inline rad holes heater which I pick up at one of our scrap yards around the city for $10.00. Now when ever I get into my 2008 S Clubman the engine already warm also so is the in side of the car. For get about the block heater, go with a inline rad holes heater it's far better. The block heater, heat up the engine block only. As were the inline rad holes heater heat the entire engine block, the rad and the inside of the car One thing about it there no warming up the engine, it's already warm, When you turn on the heater there instantly heat. All you have to do is drive away.

Last edited by Ridley; 01-10-2022 at 12:26 AM.