R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Brake Fluid How-To Write Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 07:40 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Brake Fluid How-To Write Up

Didn't see one immediately off the bat, thought I'd post my how-to. Much, much easier than I thought it would be. Special thanks to ljmattox for the help!! It's a one man job with the power bleeder but I'm grateful that he taught me how to do it.

https://qlmotorsport.com/2014/06/19/...change-how-to/

Last edited by kyoo; 04-26-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,202 Likes on 936 Posts
Kyoo, Nice write up.

Personally, I would siphon off the old fluid first and fill the reservoir with fresh fluid before attaching the pressure bleeder. This will cut down on the amount of fluid that you need to get clean/fresh fluid through the system. With that said, I have done it both ways. BTW - be really careful with the turkey baster, brake fluid doesn't have the surface tension that water has and the brake fluid will easily run out of the baster as you try to move it to a suitable container. You don't want to get the fluid on anything.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice but what did you do about the ABS?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:17 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
thanks guys. both were addressed at the bottom.

i didn't do anything about the abs, as it was my understanding that it just has some old fluid in it - not a big deal IMO

Old 06-22-2014, 07:24 AM
pokeyjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have a clutch, now is the time to flush that line as well. Its right there and really easy.

Plugging a product you sell was a little cheesy, but what I've come to expect from anyone associated with Amsoil.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:59 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pokeyjoe
If you have a clutch, now is the time to flush that line as well. Its right there and really easy.

Plugging a product you sell was a little cheesy, but what I've come to expect from anyone associated with Amsoil.
well two things as far as that goes - 1, like as i try to make explicit - i don't make any money off of it - zilch - i have a normal job, so selling amsoil isnt my lifeblood and i'm not desperate to sell it. it's more of a service for anyone who wants it at no upcharge, compared to many dealers who do.

2, it's right up there as far as the best you can do with brake fluid: http://forums.evolutionm.net/vendor-...ck-review.html

Old 06-22-2014, 12:12 PM
pokeyjoe
3rd Gear
Well, OK, I was hoping to avoid yet another pro-Amsoil discussion, but the referenced thread is not valid for brake fluid comparisons. Go to this link:

Leland West

If you sort by wet and dry boiling temps, you'll find Amsoil near the bottom in both cases. That being said, if Amsoil works for you, use it.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:28 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Well, OK, I was hoping to avoid yet another pro-Amsoil discussion, but the referenced thread is not valid for brake fluid comparisons. Go to this link:

Leland West

If you sort by wet and dry boiling temps, you'll find Amsoil near the bottom in both cases. That being said, if Amsoil works for you, use it.
i've seen that link - and with that in mind, that's just based on what the manufacturers themselves claim it to be. the referenced link is a well known TTA driver who has set numerous track records for the TTA class. he boiled motul (rated higher on the list), and he didn't boil amsoil. good enough for me, not sure why it's not a valid comparison. sounds more like you have a chip on your shoulder about amsoil, or at least typical amsoil dealers.

i don't care what brake fluid anyone uses and that wasn't the point. i just didn't see a write-up with pics before. and again i don't vend amsoil, i don't make any money, so ultimately it's just a small hassle for me to order it for someone - but if they do want amsoil and don't want to deal with a pushy vendor and markup for something that's already expensive, i can order it for someone with no additional cost - i.e., dealer price. no claims that it's the best.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:14 PM
pokeyjoe
3rd Gear
Still pretty cheesy.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:13 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Any write up on this?^^^^^^^^^

Old 11-30-2014, 01:12 PM
SC R60
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I put solo-bleeder valves on my last car for brake fluid flush. My power bleeder was my daughter. I might invest in a pneumatic power bleeder if I flushed as often as it sounds like you do, or had a local club where we'd do multiple cars.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:57 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts
Maybe, ... If you get any air into the clutch circuit (running the resevoir low
or via the bleed outlet) , you may be in for a real treat getting it out.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:12 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Nice write up. I need to do a full bleed on the fiancee's Justa soon - need to do a gear oil change first.

Still pretty cheesy.
Dude, just knock it off already.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:51 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone know where I can get the slave cylinder tool to bleed the clutch? The bleeding of the brakes is easy if you have a helper to pump brakes or a pressure bleeder.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:27 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts
Here's where I got one:

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Showing products for 2003 Mini Cooper.

(Click for a larger image) Use the Bavarian Autosport Clutch Slave Cylinder Bleeder tool to properly bleed the fluid at your BMW's clutch slave cylinder. Most BMW's have the clutch slave cylinder mounted in a position with the bleeder screw pointing downward or to the side. This can allow air to remain in the cylinder during bleeding. The BMW recommended practice is to remove the cylinder from the transmission, affix it in the special, expensive, BMW tool and hold the cylinder with the bleeder pointing upward ...... then bleed using a pressure bleeder. We have encountered this situation on numerous occasions and decided to design and built an affordable tool to perform the BMW prescribed bleeding procedure.
We have also found that later BMW models that have the bleeder screw pointing upward, in the installed position, can benefit from using the clutch slave cylinder bleeder tool. Even these models will bleed faster and more completely.Use the clutch slave cylinder bleeder tool when performing your annual brake fluid flush or whenever the clutch slave or master cylinders are disconnected or replaced.
Part Number Description Price Qty. CBT TOOL [SIZE=6] Tool - Clutch Bleeder [/SIZE]
$ 34.95