R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Advice on buying an R56 Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:05 AM
bimmershark
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eMINI of the State

Lol, I'm stealing that. Though the R53 is not problem free. I've never met a gear head with a 56.
:Wave right here man r56 in the driveway and def a gearhead...oh and its been problem free

Old 08-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Nick6
1st Gear
Wow, lots of post after I purchased the car. Any ways I ended up buying the car, it had 59K on it, currently 61. The car had the tensioner recall performed along with the water pump. I have been monitoring the oil level of the car, and so far I haven't noticed any decline, although the P.O. told me that he changed the oil every 5K and never really noticed a decline. So far I'm happy with it.

The car is my DD, so no plans to mod the living crap out of it, although I might be tempted into some. I wasn't in the market for another project toy, I have an old BMW M5 that tends to fill that need, and I don't think a R53 is going to match it for the fun factor. And before anybody tells me this, yes I realise that an R56 will cost more to maintain than any of the ordinary appliance DD cars, I'm willing to pay a little more to make my commutes more enjoyable.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:47 PM
MontyRSVR
1st Gear
Your post got caught in the senseless (juvenile) r53 people hate r56 argument.... They are all cool little cars.

I hope yours treats you as well as mine has me!!

Old 08-17-2014, 04:06 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
^ +1.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Nick6
1st Gear
I'm kind of surprised by the hatred of the R56 by the R53 crowd. Its not like the R56 is heavier or dimensionally bigger. The R56 isn't a plush smooth ride by any means (at least mine , I'm on 205/40R18's) so it still feels like an enthusiast car. Sure I have been in more fun rides before but this is my FWD econobox commuter car after all.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick6
I'm kind of surprised by the hatred of the R56 by the R53 crowd. Its not like the R56 is heavier or dimensionally bigger. The R56 isn't a plush smooth ride by any means (at least mine , I'm on 205/40R18's) so it still feels like an enthusiast car. Sure I have been in more fun rides before but this is my FWD econobox commuter car after all.
Do yourself a favor, don't get a MINI. You'll be disappointed in all three generations of it owned by BMW.

All these R53 guys are tuners, obviously it's unfortunate half these threads turn into, "my R53 is faster and easy to tune!". I just laugh cause it's a small percentage on here that people actually tune these cars. I've seen a R56 with 300whp+ on a thread(2nd gen dynos thread).

Anyhow, since you came from the BMW world, I'd stay in it lol, why not wait for a one series fwd car, just wondering? I personally am tired of my MINI and refuse to get another. Once it sells, I'm getting in a 2011+ 335i or 135i.

I've seen many MINI issues in the 1st and 2nd gen the last three years I've taken my car to the dealer and DT shop in Michigan here. Why waste ridiculous amounts of money for cars that are made poorly(not all, but MOST). This is all IMO, so I don't care if you have somewhat of a good reason to claim otherwise.

Good luck on whatever choice you decide:-).

Old 08-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Do yourself a favor, don't get a MINI. You'll be disappointed in all three generations of it owned by BMW.

All these R53 guys are tuners, obviously it's unfortunate half these threads turn into, "my R53 is faster and easy to tune!". I just laugh cause it's a small percentage on here that people actually tune these cars. I've seen a R56 with 300whp+ on a thread(2nd gen dynos thread).

Anyhow, since you came from the BMW world, I'd stay in it lol, why not wait for a one series fwd car, just wondering? I personally am tired of my MINI and refuse to get another. Once it sells, I'm getting in a 2011+ 335i or 135i.

I've seen many MINI issues in the 1st and 2nd gen the last three years I've taken my car to the dealer and DT shop in Michigan here. Why waste ridiculous amounts of money for cars that are made poorly(not all, but MOST). This is all IMO, so I don't care if you have somewhat of a good reason to claim otherwise.

If I had another choice I would buy a second gen 2013 MCS/JCW/GP2, my next car won't be the 3rd gen that's for sure, it doesn't have that sexy body style anymore, it looks like an ordinary hatchback. There's quite a few designing body kits for the 3rd gen MCS, but why would anyone buy a MCS from the dealer only to install a more aggressive body. If it don't come with it a really nice body I'd forget about the whole car. I actually prefer the 1st gen MCS (R53) body, it seems that with each gen MCS the body is getting more ugly with every new gen.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Nick6
1st Gear

I didn't wait for the new 1 series because I needed a new DD almost imminently, and I'm not too crazy about the new 1 any ways.. The mini kind of fell in my lap and I ended up spending half of what I was originally planning on spending when I was looking. This car I'm looking at being my daily for about the next year and a half. Whatever I decide to do after that is all up in the air. I'll might look into upgrading to a M235i, M2 or maybe a used 135i or M135i.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:35 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I didn't wait for the new 1 series because I needed a new DD almost imminently, and I'm not too crazy about the new 1 any ways.. The mini kind of fell in my lap and I ended up spending half of what I was originally planning on spending when I was looking. This car I'm looking at being my daily for about the next year and a half. Whatever I decide to do after that is all up in the air. I'll might look into upgrading to a M235i, M2 or maybe a used 135i or M135i.
What other choices are on the plate just curious? But I agree on the new one series coming out, not my cup of tea either.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Bleedsblue
2nd Gear
An old M5, eh? Details?

Old 08-19-2014, 03:58 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
If I had another choice I would buy a second gen 2013 MCS/JCW/GP2, my next car won't be the 3rd gen that's for sure, it doesn't have that sexy body style anymore, it looks like an ordinary hatchback. There's quite a few designing body kits for the 3rd gen MCS, but why would anyone buy a MCS from the dealer only to install a more aggressive body. If it don't come with it a really nice body I'd forget about the whole car. I actually prefer the 1st gen MCS (R53) body, it seems that with each gen MCS the body is getting more ugly with every new gen.
The GP2 would be pretty cool to own as a weekend fun car.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Nick6
1st Gear
What other choices are on the plate just curious? But I agree on the new one series coming out, not my cup of tea either.
I was dead set on picking up a 2011 Genesis 3.8 Rspec. I was ready to sign on it and pick it up until I found out about the on going transmission grind issue that those cars have. The other cars I was considering was a Velocetor Rspec and Fiesta ST and to a lesser degree the Focus St. Drove the Velocestor but wasn't as impressed as compared to the Mini. Never had a chance to drive the Fiesta St as none of my local dealerships had one in stock. Never looked into the Focus to consider it. Also after picking up the Mini I came across 2 Volvo C30's forsale, which I would of been more incline to get over the mini had I seen them before making the purchase.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I was dead set on picking up a 2011 Genesis 3.8 Rspec. I was ready to sign on it and pick it up until I found out about the on going transmission grind issue that those cars have. The other cars I was considering was a Velocetor Rspec and Fiesta ST and to a lesser degree the Focus St. Drove the Velocestor but wasn't as impressed as compared to the Mini. Never had a chance to drive the Fiesta St as none of my local dealerships had one in stock. Never looked into the Focus to consider it. Also after picking up the Mini I came across 2 Volvo C30's forsale, which I would of been more incline to get over the mini had I seen them before making the purchase.

Some very good choices, but I would test drive the Fiesta ST, you just might like it. But which MINI did you end up purchasing?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Nick6
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bleedsblue
An old M5, eh? Details?
I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone asked.
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=8329

Old 08-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Nick6
1st Gear
Some very good choices, but I would test drive the Fiesta ST, you just might like it. But which MINI did you end up purchasing?
I wish I could of test drove the Fiesta ST as I'm sure I would of liked it but at the time none was avaliable and I wanted/needed something right away. I got a R56 MCS.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Tsquared
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eMINI of the State
Lol, I'm stealing that. Though the R53 is not problem free. I've never met a gear head with a 56.
Howdy, I am the gearhead that bought a 56 - for my wife.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:04 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Another gearhead (mechanic by trade) with a 2011 R56S. Only problem not addressed by the factory warranty has been tires going away at an alarming rate...

Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gods you people are idiots!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 PM
michi1201
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MontyRSVR
Your post got caught in the senseless (juvenile) r53 people hate r56 argument.... They are all cool little cars.

I hope yours treats you as well as mine has me!!
Mine too! 59,000 miles and 34 MPG if I "light foot it" It pulls very strong when I want it to and corners great with Michelin Pilot Super Sports on 17" wheels. I thought I had a real problem when the yellow engine check light came on in 104 degree weather. I worried all the way from LA to the Bay Area until I read the forum comments regarding checking the fuel cap. There was a tiny bit of plastic residue from the fuel nozzle guard (gas station handle guard) on the sealing ring of the cap seating area. I removed it and put the cap back on and the light extinguished. I love the car! A white/silver Camden 2010 MCS.

Last edited by michi1201; 08-21-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:14 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I wish I could of test drove the Fiesta ST as I'm sure I would of liked it but at the time none was avaliable and I wanted/needed something right away. I got a R56 MCS.
I get it, I am that type of person that wants something, I get it lol. Post some pictures, we'd love to see your R56.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by renchjeep
Another gearhead (mechanic by trade) with a 2011 R56S. Only problem not addressed by the factory warranty has been tires going away at an alarming rate...
The life of runflats

Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
The OP was looking for advice on buying an R56, not asking for the ups/downs of R56 vs. R53. I think he has already made his choice, and gone non-R53. Good luck with your R56, and I hope she is as trouble-free and FUN as my 2011 R56 has been! Happy Motoring!

Old 08-23-2014, 12:23 AM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good reading here and entertaining somehow.
Have fun with your 56 and enjoy every bit of it.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Nick6
1st Gear
I get it, I am that type of person that wants something, I get it lol. Post some pictures, we'd love to see your R56.
Name:  cooper.jpg
Views: 1735
Size:  50.9 KB
Name:  mini_e34M5.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  64.0 KB

Old 08-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Nick6
1st Gear
Originally Posted by renchjeep
The OP was looking for advice on buying an R56, not asking for the ups/downs of R56 vs. R53. I think he has already made his choice, and gone non-R53. Good luck with your R56, and I hope she is as trouble-free and FUN as my 2011 R56 has been! Happy Motoring!
Someone understands. The R53 wasn't even an option no matter how cool or fun they might be.

Quick Reply: R56 Advice on buying an R56 Cooper S