R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 FRM (footwell module) dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 06:15 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
R56 FRM (footwell module) dead

Hi family,

I was connecting a H11 HID kit to my Spec-D projector housing last Saturday.
Spec-D black housing is installed since 3 months ago and really looks amazing
Actually I have HID on my fog light (H8).
I have bought a relay harness and a H11 HID Kensun kit. All well connected: positive to main positive on the engine fuse box and negative to one of the negative bolts on the chassis (just one of the these below the engine fuse box), maybe there was an error, and that is not a "negative" bolt, maybe a "ground" bolt.

The relay was connected to one of the H11 headlight connector. All done with battery disconnected.

All OK, then when starting the lights (car turned off) the lights just were on a few seconds and then all turned off and just headlight back. I disconnected all (harness, HID kit, etc) and reconnect to the halogen bulb without success.
Through ISTA Rheingold I could see that there is not connection with FRM module (is not responding).

Now I'm with low beam and rear lights always on and brake lights working OK (with lights switch in auto, on or off position).
No blinkers, no dashboard lights, no interior light, no reverse light, no power to windows. Plus red service warning (it is obvious).

The MINI official service status is: "You have problems with your FRM and we need replace it with a new one".
Total value = $ 1500 (new FRM) + installation hours (about $ 200)

Could be there is a fuse blown for the footwell module?. If yes, what is it location? I could check all engine and interior (passenger side) fuses and all are OK. If not, it seems like the installation fried the FRM.

I could find some info about the FRM could be in an "inactive state" due to a short circuit detected. I don't know if it is applicable to the entire module or just to the individual outputs.

I was searching info about re activate it through tool32.
It seems there is a terminal change (15 > 30 > 15) that can order to active again the module (if short circuit is solved), but I'm not clear on this terminal change procedure for the entire FRM

I have NCS Expert, Tool32 and WinKFP basic skills.

Thank you for any help!

Old 07-18-2014, 10:31 AM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
This may sound extremely stupid and simple, but when I hooked up HID headlights on my 2011 R56, the footwell module was not happy. I lost several lighting functions. Thought I had fried the FWM. Disconnected the battery negative, removed the FWM, opened it up, smelled no smoke, saw nothing bad, put the halogen headlight bulbs back in, reinstalled the FWM, reconnected the battery negative, and everything returned to normal. I have no idea if something "reset", or what, but all is well so far. Now going to LED headlights...another can of worms! The old halogens may just have to suffice...

Old 07-18-2014, 11:05 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Coincidence or not?

Thank you for share your experience renchjeep!

My car is a Cooper Base 2010. In first place, I just install the kit like everyone (plug and play) and I could see the same: with ignition on, HID were OK, but with engine running, windows were crazy, some lights errors were present, etc.
Then, the option was to buy a relay harness to avoid problems with the FRM power supply. It seems that was not a good idea nor fix.

The battery was disconnected 12h+ (positive and negative) and nothing.

The FRM was disconnected and checked (opened) by an electronic devices tech expert and he said that "it seems to be OK", there is no signal of damage and it needs to be checked deeper.

I believe next week the lines in and out related to FRM should be checked (searching for electrical problems, short circuit, bad cables, etc), then the tech would try to check the FRM circuit board to re install it on the car.

I can't understand why my HID fog lights (it are controlled by the FRM too) were working OK since 2 years ago without anti-flicker, slim ballast nor harness relay nor installation problems and I can't understand why all lights are dead, except headlight and brake lights (it are being powered by the FRM)

Great challenge.

Last edited by miniuy; 07-18-2014 at 11:14 AM.