R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Classic MINI horn sound, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:09 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Classic MINI horn sound, anyone?

I love my 2011 R56, but the modern horn sound leaves a LOT to be desired, IMHO. It has a "big-car" horn. I would like to upgrade (downgrade?) my horn to the old dics-type that I assume the original Austin MINI's had. Meep-Meep! Has anyone been different (or odd) enough to change thier modern horns to a classic disc-type setup? I just purchased a high and low pair of dics horns, sooo....Does (or will) it create any havoc with the CANBUS system? I know this sounds rather insane, but I cannot afford to upgrade other PRICEY things at this point, so I want to start simple and cheap! After all, part of the MINI lore is to personalize your ride! And, yes, all of the other 9 rides in my fleet have non-stock horns. I think a car's horn should fit it's personality!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Back when I had my R50, I felt the same as you and installed a Wolo Bad Boy compact air horn. Has a bit of that Italian/euro sound. I disconnected the two stock horns and used one of the leads to trip a relay so that the new horn did not overload the stock wiring...air horns use a bit more current. If you are thinking of just replacing with the small disc horns, you surely could just wire them into the stock wiring as they wouldn't use any more juice than the stock horns. Finding a way to mount horns is always a challenge on these cars since there is so little room under the bonnet.

Btw, I had a classic Mini and it had the exact horn you described....small disc horn that went "meep" or "beep". It sure was loud, though for such a small horn!

Good luck and have fun.

The following users liked this post:
bugeye1031 (09-28-2019)