R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Too much torque for Auto Trans with Billet R56 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Jimbaco
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Did your transmission slip before the JB+ and your tune?
No it didn't. Perfectly fine. Autocrossed the car without a hitch.

Did more driving and I have to say a better way to describe the symptom is: the tranny is disengaging, going to neutral, then grabbing the next gear with a chirp from the tires.

After more research on "transmission malfunction", I think I'm going to have the transmission ECU reset. Read that some peeps do this on a regular basis with Aisin six speed trans. Wonder if ECU flash and Jb+ with new turbo threw the tranny's adaptation for a loop. Dunno, perhaps I'm in denial of the tranny death rattle....

Got a date at Buttonwillow Raceway next weekend. Will have dealer (yikes) reset tranny, run track and see what happens... Fingers and toes crossed.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbaco
No it didn't. Perfectly fine. Autocrossed the car without a hitch.

Did more driving and I have to say a better way to describe the symptom is: the tranny is disengaging, going to neutral, then grabbing the next gear with a chirp from the tires.

After more research on "transmission malfunction", I think I'm going to have the transmission ECU reset. Read that some peeps do this on a regular basis with Aisin six speed trans. Wonder if ECU flash and Jb+ with new turbo threw the tranny's adaptation for a loop. Dunno, perhaps I'm in denial of the tranny death rattle....

Got a date at Buttonwillow Raceway next weekend. Will have dealer (yikes) reset tranny, run track and see what happens... Fingers and toes crossed.
Hope they don't look under the hood!

Old 09-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Jimbaco
2nd Gear
UPDATE 2: Got tranny adaptation values reset by an independent shop. Unfortunately, the tranny continued to slip. Brought the car to JE Motorsports in Mission Viejo CA. Jawed Ekhlas (owner) insisted I flush the tranny fluid before attempting a valve body replacement. Jawed came highly recommended by a prominent tuner, so I listened.

Upon dropping the pan, we found some debris and the tranny fluid was black-ish brown. We cleaned all the debris and dirty residue from the trans... replaced the filter and gasket... TA DA!!! No more slipping!

Well no more as of now... will report back after this weekend at Buttonwillow Raceway. This will be the ultimate test. We'll see if the trans holds up.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UPDATE 2: Got tranny adaptation values reset by an independent shop. Unfortunately, the tranny continued to slip. Brought the car to JE Motorsports in Mission Viejo CA. Jawed Ekhlas (owner) insisted I flush the tranny fluid before attempting a valve body replacement. Jawed came highly recommended by a prominent tuner, so I listened.

Upon dropping the pan, we found some debris and the tranny fluid was black-ish brown. We cleaned all the debris and dirty residue from the trans... replaced the filter and gasket... TA DA!!! No more slipping!

Well no more as of now... will report back after this weekend at Buttonwillow Raceway. This will be the ultimate test. We'll see if the trans holds up.
Well if you are going to run the car hard or track it I hope you up graded the ATF to a full synthetic. Using factory ATF is nothing fancy.. It takes several flushes to get all the old fluid out as well. Hope it turns out well for you.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Jawed at JE MotorSports knows Mini Coopers very well, whether it be a R53 or R56 there isn't anything he can't do. We are like a mile apart, I grew up in Laguna Hills near what used to be the Irvine Amphitheater/Lion Country Safari. Saturday nights were difficult to go to sleep, lol!

Old 09-22-2014, 07:21 AM
Jimbaco
2nd Gear
UPDATE 3: It was a very hot weekend and we drove the car hard. The tranny made it through both track days without a hitch. So glad we decided to just change fluids... it really helped the auto transmission. Definitely recommend 30k intervals.

I will swap out the fluid for synthetic as previously suggested. Just wasn't sure if this was going to work so we used what we had...

Hope this thread helps another automatic owner!