R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 hood scoop warping!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadyCoop
Hi all,
I'm sure there's probably a thread on this somewhere already, but I searched for a while and found nothing. So here goes. I have a 2007 MCS with a plastic hood scoop. The heat from the turbo has warped it slightly in the middle....:frown: I removed the black honeycomb grill-like thing, seeing as though it renders the scoop basically useless....I was wondering if there is a solution to the warping and if I should be weary of debris entering my engine bay through the scoop. Should I put the honeycomb grill back on? Thanks in advance for anyone with some useful info.
Yes your model year is known for that. Solution would be those heat shields. WMW NM M7. They help alleviate the heat problems. I have an AEM Heat Shield for sale in the Market Place. Easy install. Just 2 bolts and your done.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:50 PM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After reading a lot of negative things about heat shields and turbo blankets, I've decided not to invest in them. However, if I purchase a different hood scoop made of a different material, would that fix my issue? If so what material scoop should I get and where can I get one?

Old 10-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadyCoop
After reading a lot of negative things about heat shields and turbo blankets, I've decided not to invest in them. However, if I purchase a different hood scoop made of a different material, would that fix my issue? If so what material scoop should I get and where can I get one?
There's the carbon fiber hood scoop, kind of pricey. Just get the shield that attaches to the hood scoop itself, it keeps the heat off the scoop while the hot air is vented through the plastic grill in the hood scoop. I don't care much for the heat shield that cover up the turbo/exhaust.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-co...5-r56-r57.html

Old 04-03-2015, 04:57 PM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Have the 2012 Minis been fixed of the melted hood scopes? I have seen a few that don't look like they have anything attached to the hoods, no sound insulation or heat shield materials. The scoop grill looks pretty restrictive.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:02 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
MINI did in fact change the material of the scoop. When I had mine replaced under warranty in 2012, they also provided the aluminized MINI shield.

While I was waiting for the replacement scoop to be painted, and have 3m clear bra put on, (which MINI originally did not want to pay for, but after much bitching, they did install the clear bra for free), I bought the JCW carbon scoop, and installed the heat shield. No issues since...

Old 04-05-2015, 12:29 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cobra Cloth

Always had the carbon fiber hood scoop, so no problems with warping. I did recently line the majority of the underside of my hood with Heatshield Products Cobra Cloth. It's a woven fabric made out of aluminized fiberglass - looks like white carbon fiber. It's good for 1100F continuous, 2000F intermitant heat. My hood barely gets warm now.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Seems like the CF factory ones hold up vs the old stock plastic ones need the heat protection.

Carbon Fiber JCW Bonnet / Hood Scoop 51130415378

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51130415378/

The newest part number for the stock ones, recommend getting the new shield also.

Primed Bonnet / Hood Scoop 51132757694

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51132757694/

New shield and insulation: post #42

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ut-this-2.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-21-2015, 11:13 AM
godskid
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2012S doesn't have the carbon fiber scoop -- and that's why I'm searching through these threads today. The dealer installed a heat shield for me (metal strip on hood) but I had to pay for it. It was small enough to be worth it. I had already replaced the grill in the scoop with something less restrictive (chicken wire, I think).

So now that I've got the heat shield, I am here to ask: what's the best brand of stripes to use for my 3rd replacement set of stripes? The first set turned brown. That's when I bought the car. I replaced the scoop grill with the chicken-wire like substance and replaced the hood stripes. Now they've bubbled so much they need replaced again; that's why I got the heat shield.

Unfortunately, my stripes go straight down the middle. I love the look! But they go over the hot part of the hood. Maybe now that I've got the heat shield, the third stripe replacement will actually work and stay in place.

Know of a good source for heat resistant stripes? I need carbon fiber (look), 8.5" wide middle stripe, with two 3/4" stripes surrounding it. Unless I want to redo the WHOLE car, which I don't.

(Should I have started a new thread? Hot hoods was very much in my mind while searching ..... ) (Errr, hot bonnets!)
Deb

Old 09-21-2015, 11:38 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Where have they turned brown, you can get a larger piece of insulation , like the stingray shape one above, a Diesel version also or a full cover from the R58 for car with the dual sport stripes ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-21-2015, 01:49 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by godskid
So now that I've got the heat shield, I am here to ask: what's the best brand of stripes to use for my 3rd replacement set of stripes? The first set turned brown. That's when I bought the car. I replaced the scoop grill with the chicken-wire like substance and replaced the hood stripes. Now they've bubbled so much they need replaced again; that's why I got the heat shield.

Unfortunately, my stripes go straight down the middle. I love the look! But they go over the hot part of the hood. Maybe now that I've got the heat shield, the third stripe replacement will actually work and stay in place.

Know of a good source for heat resistant stripes? I need carbon fiber (look), 8.5" wide middle stripe, with two 3/4" stripes surrounding it. Unless I want to redo the WHOLE car, which I don't.
Might try contacting www.MightStripes.com and see what they have to say. We got our stripes from them for our MINI. I'm not sure as far as heat resistant, but might be able to give them a call or shoot them an email and see what input they may be able to provide as far as plausible stripe options that you can go with.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-24-2015, 08:33 AM
godskid
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Might try contacting www.MightStripes.com and see what they have to say. We got our stripes from them for our MINI. I'm not sure as far as heat resistant, but might be able to give them a call or shoot them an email and see what input they may be able to provide as far as plausible stripe options that you can go with.
Thanks -- I'll send them an email. [Sorry I didn't see your email earlier!]
Deb

Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by godskid
Thanks -- I'll send them an email. [Sorry I didn't see your email earlier!]
Deb
No worries, Deb! Hope you get something that works out for you. Good luck.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-26-2015, 07:39 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before you start replacing stuff I'd suggest getting as many heat shielding products as you can and using them all. My R56 had the scoop replaced at least twice in 49k miles and it's warped again and the stripes are cracked. Might be because it's chrome, which I hate, but I'm going to get an aerogel wrap for the turbo, M7's plate with more aerogel, and at least the diesel own hood piece before I replace it again.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:45 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My 2012 Roadster S that came with silver vipers from the factory also had a full insulation blanket under the bonnet/hood. I had no stripe or scoop issues, either with the original blue one or with the replacement chrome one.