R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 My Mini was involved in an accident and I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:54 PM
abowman4221
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Mini was involved in an accident and I need some advice

The silver car in the picture hit my parked 2007 Mini Cooper S. The above pictures are damage to both of our cars. They moved my Mini about 4 feet when they hit me. The cop estimated that they were going about 50 to 60 mps when they impacted my car. Do you think that my car is a total loss or do you think it can be repaired. Also, the insurance company is wanting to repair my car (if it can be repaired) with comparable parts. Do they even make comparable parts for Mini's? Any advise or opinions would be nice as I am a nervous wreck thinking that I might have to get rid of my Mini and drive the spare Kia Rio that has been sitting in my back yard.

Attached Thumbnails My Mini was involved in an accident and I need some advice-gedc3132.jpg   My Mini was involved in an accident and I need some advice-gedc3133.jpg   My Mini was involved in an accident and I need some advice-gedc3126.jpg  
Old 10-26-2014, 03:29 PM
SC R60
3rd Gear
You mention "the insurance company". I assume that means the silver car's insurance company?
I would tell them that only OEM parts can be used to repair your vehicle. And that if they have a problem with the price difference, then they can get it from their client that ran into your car. Your car had OEM parts on it before their client ran into, why should that change now?

Old 10-26-2014, 03:30 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
just get multiple quotes from shops you trust

and i agree with the sentiment above. you shouldn't have to take any loss on this in any way. your resale value just tanked. insurance company's duty is to make you 100%, not 95%

Old 10-26-2014, 03:42 PM
abowman4221
Neutral
Unfortunately, she did not have insurance. I was asleep when this happened. It was technically listed as a hit and run as she fled the scene, even though her car did not. I am considering hiring an attorney, as my insurance is telling me that I have to pay the difference if I want OEM parts. I have always taken my car to the dealer for repairs and I have the receipts to prove it.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:43 PM
abowman4221
Neutral
Oh yeah that is her engine block on the ground.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:57 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kind of odd that your insurance will not cover oem parts when it's not your fault and they can get their $ back from the other party. no matter what, they have to go after the other party at fault. i'm in CA and had no issue getting oem from my insurance when there was an accident, especially not at fault. maybe it's time to look for another insurance company after this incident.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:57 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
"comparable parts" might also mean used. Which is reasonable if you think about it since the parts that were damaged on your car are also used.

Sucks for you though.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:03 PM
TheGreatJake
Neutral
Oh man, that is no good. Luckily when my car got hit, the guy had insurance.

I would say if you can, get an attorney. If she did not have insurance that can be held to her to pay out of pocket.

And maybe switch insurance companies at the end of this. Who do you have out of curiosity. They should price the car at OEM parts. If OEM parts costs too much they need to give you a check. "comparable parts" does not suffice in my opinion.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:07 PM
CornerCarver
1st Gear
Originally Posted by abowman4221
Unfortunately, she did not have insurance. I was asleep when this happened. It was technically listed as a hit and run as she fled the scene, even though her car did not. I am considering hiring an attorney, as my insurance is telling me that I have to pay the difference if I want OEM parts. I have always taken my car to the dealer for repairs and I have the receipts to prove it.
abowman4221,

Unfortunately unless the car is new to market or less than 12 months old *typically by build date* insurance companies will replace parts with used or non-oem parts.

I only know this first hand due to my wife working for progressive.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:24 PM
abowman4221
Neutral
I have USAA insurance. I am not sure right now if I would rather them be able to fix or deem it a total loss.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:13 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I would figure that your 07 cooper S would need $7-8k damage to be considered a total loss. Looking at the picture, I doubt that is the case. It is a good sign that your door gap looks good, if it was not even (either the door sticking in/out compared to the quarter panel, or if the gap was smaller at the bottom than the top), it would indicate that the door was shifted compared to the body.

I would think that your rear control arm and strut assembly would be replaced. Same for the wheel and brake assy, after everything is inspected. It appears that the wheel was hit, so I would make sure that they also inspect the control arms and wheel bearin assy. Like others said, they would likely be replaced with used parts. Make sure that they do an alignment on the car to confirm that all is OK with the suspension.

Body work will not be too bad, straightening existing panels and repaint.

Find a shop that you are comfortable with. You have a right to use the shop of your choice, don't let the insurance company force you into using one of their 'preferred' shops unless you are good with their reputation and warranty.

You will get through this, don't think that this will make you enjoy your MINI any less when it is repaired.

Mike

Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, it majorly sucks.

also make sure to talk to your insurance company about the lost value to your car now that it's been in an accident (a big red flag for resale value).

Old 10-27-2014, 08:34 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
My son-in-law was hit by an uninsured driver. He sued the driver of the other car and got a judgment against them for the value of his car (It was totaled). The other driver didn't pay the judgment, so he put a lien on their house for the amount of the judgment. A few year later, they had to pay the lien off in order to sell their house, so he eventually got his money.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:36 AM
flyiingsparrow
2nd Gear
My MINI was hit back in June, also on the drivers door and quarter. I went to the body shop of my choice, and they quoted everything new because I asked that.

My insurance company wanted to put a used door and new quarter on. Well the used door came in and it wasn't right. I must have had a different option or year than the used gen1 door they got. So I got a brand new door out of it.

If you're in a state that requires the person at fault to pay, then you can go after her if they caught her. She has to pay out of pocket if she didn't have insurance.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:16 AM
abowman4221
Neutral
I went to the Mini dealer today and got the name of their collision center. They told me that they are going to try everything in their power to get me OEM parts. I also went to my the only other repair shop in the area that works on Mini Coopers and he sent me a letter stating that using after market parts would compromise the safety of my vehicle. I am feeling much better about this. They also said that more than likely the car is going to be deemed totaled as since it was in park and in gear and pushed 4 ft that I am going to have to significant mechanical work done to the car in addition to some cosmetic body work and the insurance company stated today if any damage is done to the frame then they are going to total the car. The collision center said that because Mini parts are going to have to be used it is more than likely going to price out and they are going to total the car and if there is any frame damage (which he feels that there very well may be) then they will also total the car. I am going to have the car towed tomorrow and we shall see.

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I am trying to see the bright side in all of this. I will get through.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:49 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
My guess is they will give you about $7-8k for it which is what my dealer allowed on trade for my 2007 MCS this year.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:58 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
In a sad kind of way, you're better off if it is totaled. Getting it back to original condition can be iffy, and value down the road is tanked..

Old 10-28-2014, 02:22 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I was in an accident recently, the uninsured driver was driving his parents SUV without permission , that's grand theft! Was shocked that AAA waves the deductible when uninsured motorists hit me while backing up in a parking lot. It cost my AAA insurance $5000.

Sorry for your troubles.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:45 PM
abowman4221
Neutral
The adjuster just left and deemed the car a total loss. I am looking at 2005 Mini Cooper S to replace it.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:25 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by abowman4221
The adjuster just left and deemed the car a total loss. I am looking at 2005 Mini Cooper S to replace it.
Wow just be glad you weren't in the car when it hit your car, you would have sustained serious neck trauma!