R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Anyone experienced in whole car wrapping?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:16 PM
jdinh504
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone experienced in whole car wrapping?

I'm looking for any tips that will help me wrap my car.

I wrapped my hood, but it was a messy job. It's going to be re-wrapped soon.

I used 3M 1080 Matte Indigo and plan to wrap my whole car with it.

Anyone experienced in whole car wrapping?-vgdkvzd.jpg

I started from the right side then moved on to the left. It was a bad idea, I ran into lots of problems. So next time, I'm planning to work from top to bottom.

Should I wrap over the chrome trim? Does anyone have any experience in removing it?

Anyone experienced in whole car wrapping?-j946ekm.png

You can see I messed up bad when cutting the vinyl in the top right corner. I also have some magical air bubbles that appeared near the headlights, too. There's also a spot near the passenger window wear I appeared to have heated the vinyl too much and caused it to stretch to a point where you can see the car paint underneath.

Any tips about any other parts, not just the hood would be appreciated.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:55 PM
flakoR56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a glue for the corners so it can stick even more did you get that glue?

Edit: can you remove the chrome trim?

Old 11-05-2014, 02:42 PM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm slowly wrapping mine too.. you can easily remove all the trim except the rear window and the rear side windows they use clips to hold on. you can reuse them depending if they are not too dried out. i removed the handles and mirrors when doing my doors to have that painted look. I also body worked mine under then vinyl so there is actually primer under certain spots but no one would ever know.. just take your time and have fun. I looked it as something to try. I plastidipped a few cars so this was the next project for me.. good luck

heres a little progress pic. you can see the electric blue by the fenders

Old 11-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Gotsmanlai
Neutral
Wow, it looks great! May I ask where did you guys purchase your wraps?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 AM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Make sure you're taking the time to stretch, then shrink. I have never encountered any issues with the 3M 1080 series wraps. Make sure you also fold the wrap under the edges to account for any shrinking later on. Other than that, it's a tedious project, but well worth it!

Also, the plastic clips that hold on the black plastic fenders - definitely recommend purchasing new ones from the dealer to have on hand when you take those pieces off.

Last edited by babysarah; 11-12-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by babysarah
Make sure you're taking the time to stretch, then shrink. I have never encountered any issues with the 3M 1080 series wraps. Make sure you also fold the wrap under the edges to account for any shrinking later on. Other than that, it's a tedious project, but well worth it!

Also, the plastic clips that hold on the black plastic fenders - definitely recommend purchasing new ones from the dealer to have on hand when you take those pieces off.

Damn that looks beautiful! Did you paint of cover the vinyl trim arches and side skirts? I used to hate matte finishes on cars but it's gronwing on me.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:54 AM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Damn that looks beautiful! Did you paint of cover the vinyl trim arches and side skirts? I used to hate matte finishes on cars but it's gronwing on me.
Thank you!

The plastic side skirts and fender trim was all wrapped in the same vinyl. It actually adheres amazingly well. I've had the car wrapped for about a year now, and it still looks like it did the day I picked it up.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by babysarah
Thank you!

The plastic side skirts and fender trim was all wrapped in the same vinyl. It actually adheres amazingly well. I've had the car wrapped for about a year now, and it still looks like it did the day I picked it up.
If I didn't know that you rapped it I would have thought you got a professional matte paint job, It looks so smooth.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:51 PM
CliffordSmith12
Neutral
Don't waste time in stretching and thinking , vehicle wrap experts know very well in what amount the wrap need to be stretched. The main thing you do is to select the design and color of the wrap , other work will be done by those experts.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:54 PM
CliffordSmith12
Neutral
Don't waste time in stretching and thinking , vehicle wrap experts know very well in what amount the wrap need to be stretched. The main thing you do is to select the design and color of the wrap , other work will be done by those experts.