R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 DP back exhaust performance issues.. Boost surging/bouncing @ WOT

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 06:55 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scubbysnacks
A leaking diverter valve will cause a boost leak not a boost surge. My car is an auto with the original diverter boosting to just shy of 22psi no problem. I know that system cost a lot of mulla and I'd be pissed too if it was causing problems. Is there an iPE dealer nearby that can take a look and rule out the exhaust causing the problem.
We need a like dislike button on here.
Thumsup.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:56 AM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I think that iPE is passing the buck. While there might be some truth in what they say regarding the diverter valve you are experiencing the surge at WOT where the diverter valve does NOT factor in.

Surge happens when boost pressure is high but air flow is low. You're trying to cram more air than the engine can take. So installing a higher flowing cat back exhaust should definitely NOT cause surge.

You need to figure out what is causing the restriction to air flow. The only thing that changed was the iPE exhaust.

I keep going back to the exhaust valve and the vacuum lines. If for whatever reason the exhaust valve is cycling (may be due to a weird vacuum signal) this could cause a restriction and the surge. Is there a way that you can manually lock the exhaust valve open without hooking up the vacuum lines and try it like that?

Regarding the lower boost pressure with the exhaust in "quiet" mode. This itself should not cause lower boost pressure (I could see it causing surge). It seems that the vacuum lines are doing something to lower the boost pressure. It would be nice to know exactly how this exhaust works.
iPE has since changed their tone. After several emails back and forth, he is convinced it is a vacuum line issue. "This is most likely being cause by some kind of pressure leak in the vacuum system. The valve by default is open (no pressure) and closed is (negative pressure). The fact that you are only experiencing surge while the valve is open indicates that this is a vacuum related issue."

The weird thing is that I have not uninstalled the vacuum lines and ran all my tests that way. I just plugged the end that connects to the nipple on the valve on the exhaust. So I am not convinced it is the vacuum line, although it could have to do with the valve on the iPE exhaust.

I am going to reinstall the iPE exhaust later this week. I will not connect the valve to the vacuum line but instead leave the vacuum line plugged. By default, the exhaust valve is open so this will be a good test to see if the problem occurs only when the valve is connected to the vacuum line. If I don't have any surge with the vacuum line plugged but I do with the valve connected, it will help identify the problem. I am really hoping that the Evolve DP and the iPE work well and I don't have any issues with either the line connected or plugged.

Originally Posted by bmwr606
the ecu controls boost via an electric solenoid supplying vacuum to the wastegate mounted on the turbo ... is it possible there is not enough vacuum available causing the wastegate to not operate properly?
The wastegate vacuum line is the line iPE instructions had me tap into to operate the exhaust valve.

Originally Posted by scubbysnacks
A leaking diverter valve will cause a boost leak not a boost surge. My car is an auto with the original diverter boosting to just shy of 22psi no problem.

I know that system cost a lot of mulla and I'd be pissed too if it was causing problems.

Is there an iPE dealer nearby that can take a look and rule out the exhaust causing the problem.
No iPE dealer nearby, the shop I bought it from is in CA and I am near DC.

Here is an updated summary:
1a.) Stock tune, stock JCW DP, stock JCW exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed but plugged, in "open" mode - runs great
1b.) Stock tune, stock JCW DP, stock JCW exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed but plugged, in "closed" mode - runs great

2a.) Stock tune, stock JCW DP, iPE exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed and connected, in "open" mode - compressor surge
2b.) Stock tune, stock JCW DP, iPE exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed and connected, in "closed" mode - runs fine, low boost

3a.) Stage 2 tune, stock JCW DP, stock JCW exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed but plugged, in "open" mode - runs great
3b.) Stage 2 tune, stock JCW DP, stock JCW exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed but plugged, in "closed" mode - runs great

4a.) Stage 2 tune, stock JCW DP, iPE exhaust exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed and connected, in "open" mode - compressor surge
4b.) Stage 2 tune, stock JCW DP, iPE exhaust exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed and connected, in "closed" mode - runs fine, low boost

5a.) Stage 3 tune, Evolve DP, stock JCW exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed but plugged, in "open" mode - runs great
5b.) Stage 3 tune, Evolve DP, stock JCW exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed but plugged, in "closed" mode - runs great

6a.) Stage 3 tune, Evolve DP, iPE exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed, plugged and not connected to the valve, in "open" mode - ???
6b.) Stage 3 tune, Evolve DP, iPE exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed, plugged and not connected to the valve, in "closed" mode - ???

7a.) Stage 3 tune, Evolve DP, iPE exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed and connected, in "open" mode - ???
7b.) Stage 3 tune, Evolve DP, iPE exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed and connected, in "closed" mode - ???

Last edited by igzekyativ; 11-12-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:17 PM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
So I've been running 7a and 7b below (the iPE exhaust with the exhaust valve connected and the Evolve high flow catted downpipe) for a day and half now. The compressor surge has not appeared. Most have been something with the stock downpipe and the iPE exhaust that was causing an issue. I'll follow up in a week and let you know if the compressor surge has reappeared.

Here is the updated summary of testing:
1a.) Stock tune, stock JCW DP, stock JCW exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed but plugged, in "open" mode - runs great
1b.) Stock tune, stock JCW DP, stock JCW exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed but plugged, in "closed" mode - runs great

2a.) Stock tune, stock JCW DP, iPE exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed and connected, in "open" mode - compressor surge
2b.) Stock tune, stock JCW DP, iPE exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed and connected, in "closed" mode - runs fine, low boost

3a.) Stage 2 tune, stock JCW DP, stock JCW exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed but plugged, in "open" mode - runs great
3b.) Stage 2 tune, stock JCW DP, stock JCW exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed but plugged, in "closed" mode - runs great

4a.) Stage 2 tune, stock JCW DP, iPE exhaust exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed and connected, in "open" mode - compressor surge
4b.) Stage 2 tune, stock JCW DP, iPE exhaust exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed and connected, in "closed" mode - runs fine, low boost

5a.) Stage 3 tune, Evolve DP, stock JCW exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed but plugged, in "open" mode - runs great
5b.) Stage 3 tune, Evolve DP, stock JCW exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed but plugged, in "closed" mode - runs great

6a.) Stage 3 tune, Evolve DP, iPE exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed, plugged and not connected to the valve, in "open" mode - ???
6b.) Stage 3 tune, Evolve DP, iPE exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed, plugged and not connected to the valve, in "closed" mode - ???

7a.) Stage 3 tune, Evolve DP, iPE exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed and connected, in "open" mode - so far running fine, lower boost than 5a
7b.) Stage 3 tune, Evolve DP, iPE exhaust, with the iPE vacuum lines installed and connected, in "closed" mode - so far running fine, higher boost than 4b and 2b

Old 10-24-2019, 05:34 PM
Zetaet
Neutral
Any update on this?

Trying my luck on an old thread...

I have been experiencing the same boost surge issues and wondering how the issue above was resolved then...

anyone can help??

Old 02-10-2023, 01:35 AM
Lkt1234
Neutral
Originally Posted by Zetaet
Trying my luck on an old thread...

I have been experiencing the same boost surge issues and wondering how the issue above was resolved then...

anyone can help??
Did anyone find a solution to the surge under load problem? I'm at a loss......