R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 fJCW in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Roadki11
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 fJCW in the snow?

So I'm moving from south Texas to the great white north around Cleveland area. I was debating getting rid of my '09 fJCW for something with 4wd, but can't bear to leave it. I've lived in snow before, and know I can handle a FWD car in ice and snow, but have any of you had issues (clearance mainly) with a mini in the snow? Mine's at stock height without the JCW body kit and I am planning on getting snow tires for it. Sounds like an excuse to get a new set of wheels too. Just seeing what others are doing.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:21 PM
ROCNYMini
1st Gear
I made a transition to the GWN from S FL in my '09. The car did OK, once it was shod with winter tires. Didn't have a ground clearance issue with snow, but to be honest, this area cleans up fast after/during snowfall. Salt and rust is the other concern, but I only found one piece down under that needed to be wirebrushed and undercoated; it was a sheet metal horiz. frame piece. I did hit a deer carcass at 70mph at night with the right wheel, amazingly, no damage; did have blood and some "stuff" stuck to the wheels for a week...

Old 11-29-2014, 02:22 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I park my 2008 mcs. Stock ride height. Drive it once in snow. Won't EVER do it again. Break out the silverado. Now if it's packed smooth, that's different, but only I'm an emergency.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
It'll depend a lot on what types of roads you expect to drive in winter. I moved to the PNW from TX about 8 years ago. My stock 2013 MCS does just fine with even all seasons when it does not get too cold and snow is rare, or with winter rubber when it gets really cold. No clearance issues but in winter I drive on roads that get cleared quickly, in those instances where I drive in snow. Proper winter tires are a must when it gets cold (much below freezing), and will help you much more than AWD - AWD is fine, but doesn't help you break - gives you a false sense of security. I can usually run circles around most 4WD pickups and SUVs on most snowy roads, unless snow gets deep, the it's the opposite. I find proper rubber and good traction control a much better pick than AWD. Ground clearance is another issue though. I've driven my two MCS's on many a snowy road over the years, and I think they do really well in snow. The MINI traction control works really well. Having said all that, I always pack my chains in the winter, no matter what. Have never needed them on my MCS, yet.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:41 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
This is my 3rd winter with my 08 MCS, and it is a tank. I've got Michelin X-ice snows on it, and like them. My car is down a little (TSW springs), but I have not gotten stuck (knock on wood). I just installed a TSW X-brace, and will likely take that off for winter (I hit a bunch of ice chunks).

In last week's snow (I only drove in about 10" or so), the car was fine. These cars are pretty heavy for their size, so the right tire, and the right driving style, will make all the difference.

I'm guessing that your car requires 17" wheels for the front brakes, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Now you have to decide to put snows on your existing wheels (and buy new summer wheels) or to buy winter wheels.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 11-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Roadki11
1st Gear
Thanks guys, I feel better about it now knowing I won't be the only one not shacking it up for the winter. I'll just throw some snow tires on my stock wheels and I'm thinking a set of OZ Leggendas for my warmer setup.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
I daily the GP2 in all conditions - it's a champ.

I've got 215/45 Yokohama IceGuards on it for the winter, too.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:10 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's a tank with real SNOW TIRES.... Not some pos all seasons...

Old 11-30-2014, 04:55 PM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by richardsperry
it's a tank with real snow tires.... Not some pos all seasons...
fact!

Old 11-30-2014, 08:33 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
My advice - go pick up a used Jeep or Subaru and put good snow tires on it for the days when the weather and roads are crappy, and leave the Mini in the garage.

Many years ago I lived in New Hampshire, I bought a BMW 325 in the summertime. First snowfall I realized that the car was undriveable in snowy conditions. I thought about buying a set of top winter tires for it, instead I bought a used Toyota for $150 and put a set of snow tires on the back. The total was significantly cheaper than snow tires for the BMW. I would leave the BMW parked when there was snow on the roads and drive the Toyota, it was cheap enough that if I wrecked it I didn't care. It was a hoot, I learned how to drift in that car.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:57 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by richardsperry
It's a tank with real SNOW TIRES.... Not some pos all seasons...
FWIW, I put a set of Kumho Ecsta PA31s on the fiancee's Cooper, and I was blown away at how well they performed in last week's snow. Not just for all-seasons, either.

Would absolutely buy them again.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 PM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This will be the 3rd winter for me and my MCS. First year we didnt get any snow really so it was just fine. Last year however sucked.... cause we got loads of snow and I had some really crappy all season tires on the thing. I'm lowered on coilovers and not sure if that contributed to the problem or if the tires were to be blame. This year... I've raised the car and got Snow Tires. In my opinion snow tires gives you that added assurance just in case you do get a bunch of snow. My .02 cents.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:32 AM
percymon
2nd Gear
Bear in mind winter tires are NOT snow tires, they have significant benefit in wet and dry conditions below 45'F over summer rubber, especially performance summer rubber.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Ta87
3rd Gear
I spent 3 winters in North Dakota w/ Michelin A/Ss and did just fine w/ my R56.

Just remember, the driver has a lot to do w/ how safe the driving is. Always test your brakes to see how much bite you have before you set off and take your time.

I see FAR more trucks/Jeeps in the ditch than I see compact cars and sedans.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Lazlo10S
2nd Gear
^+1

Old 12-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Aikmanson
2nd Gear
I drive mine in the snow! I park the miata for the winter and depend heavily on the MINI. 205/55/16 snow tires all around, oh and my car is lowered on H&R as well. The little "scraper" on the bumper works as a mini snow-plow, otherwise, its damn impressive in snow.

Granted, I am used to driving RWD BMWs in the snow as well. Snow tires + a stick, you'll be fine.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:09 AM
vicj
3rd Gear
My JCW is my winter beater. No issues, and I don't even use snows, just Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's. I wouldn't call it GREAT in the snow, especially lowered, but I get through, and it's a whole lot better than some of the winter cars I've used in the past, for sure. Trust me, MR2 Turbo's are NOT winter cars!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:27 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you put a set of decent winter tires on you'll be fine. My MINI has been driven daily for the last 9 years. I just put snows on & go anywhere I want.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:55 AM
twlai
1st Gear
Mini are FWD, it will do fine with good all season tire,
and it will do GREAT will good snow tires!! ( not all season tire are good in snow,
not all snow tires are made the same, some are better than others).

I had a hard time with traction on ice and snow using the OEM tires,
then i switched to Continential ExtremeContact DWS, it makes a hugh differences
and I have no problem with ice and snow again, and I live in New England area.
I drove in a mid of Northeaster with 5+ inches unplowed snow to get home....

Yes, this is not snow tires, and i bet the traction would be even better with
snow tires. But if you don't want to have 2 sets of tires, this tire is hard to bet.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=124