R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Running w/ key fob OUT -? hmmm

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:39 AM
ve9aa
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running w/ key fob OUT -? hmmm

Two cars, 2009 MINI(6sp) and 2012 MINI (auto).
We've always been able to start them, stop them, take the key fob out, then restart them. WE don't do it very often, but it *IS* possible.

These are NOT comfort access cars.

Today it's very cold here and my wife called me from work (I am at home) and asked me to start both MINI's and thaw them out.

So, I started her 2012 with the fob. Stopped it. Took fob out, restarted, then locked the car and left it running. (key fob in my pocket)

Tried the same with my 09 and it would NOT restart.
First time I have ever seen this.

Is there some trick to it?

I did not move either car, but I don't ever recall HAVING to move the car and I certainly did not move the 2012, nor even put it in gear etc.

Weird !

What's the trick?
I only have one key each here at home so would rather not leave them running, unlocked, with the key fobs in them, LOL

Cheers

Mike

Last edited by ve9aa; 12-07-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-07-2014, 08:16 AM
ve9aa
2nd Gear
OK, after an hour of humming and hawing about this I was finally about to figure out what was going on. On especially the 09 MINI, the window rubber seals freeze to the glass, not allowing the windows that tiny 1/4" of travel they need when the door is opened and closed. It's a real PITA.

Hence, when I was trying to "restart" the 09 MINI the car doors were actually not closed 100% of the way. Close enough to fool my eye, but not the car. The drivers door will "close" but if you were standing outside looking at the top of the window, its actually pressed up against the OUTSIDE edge of the plastic driprail and not tucked underneath it. I've driven all the way to work before with it like this before it thawed out enough for the window to move down and it was a royal pain.

Lately I've taken to just running a credit car along that glass/rubber interface and that unsticks the window. I am sure this can't be good for the door rubber thing, increasing wear a lot, but there seems to be not other choice.

I am getting off track. The car thought the door was stlll open, so it wouldn't let it restart w/o the fob.
(it obviously doesn't care if I *USE* the fob, as it always seems to start....)

It's all good now. Running, fob out, doors locked, window tucked under the drip rail.

I would be interested in hearing from ANYONE who understands this fob-out-running system better than I. I don't recall reading about it in my OM.

Again, this is NOT a convenience/comfort access car.
Mike

Old 12-07-2014, 08:18 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I've not heard of that before. I want to hear more of it.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:32 AM
ve9aa
2nd Gear
You've not heard WHAT before? Glass freezing to the door seal or running w/o a key fob?

Old 12-07-2014, 08:34 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
I have heard about on here and I tried it on my wife 2011 Cliubby, it does work. The car is garaged and we don't have bitter cold here so the window issue will not be a problem unless we go up to Tahoe and spend the night. These Mini's have so many quirks it's fun. It seem like every time I log on I learn something new about the mini and how you can recode it if you want.

Tom

Old 12-07-2014, 10:02 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Id like to try this, whats the procedure to get this to work?

Old 12-07-2014, 10:49 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ve9aa
You've not heard WHAT before? Glass freezing to the door seal or running w/o a key fob?
Both, actually. I've never seen a white xmas, neither.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:42 AM
ve9aa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by automan21
Id like to try this, whats the procedure to get this to work?
I'm not sure what your question is, but pretty sure I covered it in my original post.
To recap. Start car normally as you would.
Now press the button and shut the car off.
Remove the key fob.
Now within a short span of time (lets call it 5 seconds until someone corrects me) restart the car WITHOUT the fob in.
There is no lock steering to worry about in my 09 and 12 CDN cars, and as long as you don't toss the fob out the window, then drive away, there is little else to worry about as far as I know.

All that being said, your mileage may vary, take your own chances and I am not responsible for anything that happens.

It would be cool to know exactly HOW this works and if anything else is affected. So far all I can tell (because my window was frozen) is that if your window is frozen, it won't work.

Mike

Old 12-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Plafnd
2nd Gear
Hello guys,

I was living in Canada last year, now moved back to NYC... I used to do that every morning to warm up the car. I know weird practice... BUT! Pretty useful to warm up the car and close it while you're not around.

Basically the procedure is bring the key very close to the fob and then press the fob down and forward with your finger...
The car starts and you can basically drive it like that, the only thing is the warning on the tachometer telling you that the keys are not in the fob.

Giorgia prefers to be warm before being driven

Old 12-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm not sure what your question is, but pretty sure I covered it in my original post.
Remove the key fob.
Now within a short span of time (lets call it 5 seconds until someone corrects me) restart the car WITHOUT the fob in.
There is no lock steering to worry about in my 09 and 12 CDN cars, and as long as you don't toss the fob out the window, then drive away, there is little else to worry about as far as I know.

All that being said, your mileage may vary, take your own chances and I am not responsible for anything that happens.

It would be cool to know exactly HOW this works and if anything else is affected. So far all I can tell (because my window was frozen) is that if your window is frozen, it won't work.

Mike
I have notice not only today but on previous times if I push the start button and wait a few seconds to push the clutch pedal in it starts right up, so you have a certain amount of time delay between pushing start button to push in the clutch pedal. Weird isn't it? I have the comfort access and I never insert my key FOB anymore unless I forget to roll the windows up or forget to close the sunroof.

One cool thing I noticed is after starting up my Mini if it forgot something in the house the moment I get out of the car my RPM gauge shows a symbol of a key with a line crossing through it, get if someone carjacks me, they won't get very far before it stalls!

Old 12-07-2014, 05:57 PM
ve9aa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Plafnd
Hello guys,

I was living in Canada last year, now moved back to NYC... I used to do that every morning to warm up the car. I know weird practice... BUT! Pretty useful to warm up the car and close it while you're not around.

Basically the procedure is bring the key very close to the fob and then press the fob down and forward with your finger...
The car starts and you can basically drive it like that, the only thing is the warning on the tachometer telling you that the keys are not in the fob.

Giorgia prefers to be warm before being driven

Interesting. There is no warning on either of our cars, and I am not entirely sure what you are describing. When we "RE-start" either of our cars, the metal key and/or fob don't have to be anywhere near the slot in the dash where the fob fits in.
Again, not a convenience or comfort access car.
There seems to be a few flavours of this unique feature.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:03 PM
automan21
5th Gear
I did this the other day by accident, works fine. I can go out start the car in the cold, close and lock doors and come back in. Bad thing is someone can break window and drive away.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:05 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Remove the key fob.

Mike
Yes, if you have your door open and do this it will not work.